Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Time SCCA - looking for a ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 10:05 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default First Time SCCA - looking for a ride

I attended the Bondurant School in February, and just need to send in my license application. It was a great experience, and I THINK I want to run in a local 'regional' race this year. I need to race in 2-events to keep the license up to date.

What I'm looking for is 2-things:

1.) I need a ride. I don't have a trailer, and would rather not rent for the first time.

2.) I'd love to have an experienced driver with me on the first event. I'm sure it's not too difficult, but I'd like to be run through the first time if possible.

My experience is limited to hot lapping at Autobahn Country Club for one season. My times are good, and really enjoyed a SATCAR race that was hosted at our track.

I live near Chicago, and would consider something here in the midwest. Elkhart Lake would be great.

Let me know if you're interested in a partnership for a race weekend.

Thanks,

Don
Old 04-08-2007, 11:21 PM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a track or weekend in mind. I dont know what license you get from the school. Is it a SCCA regional. If so you can use a SCCA regional to run also with the midwestern council. It wont count towards your 2 events for SCCA as far as I know but the MCSCC will run 2 races at autobahn this season. Since thats close to you it might be easy track time.
The SCCA is having a race at Blackhawk farms at the end of the month. I will either be shaking the car down that weekend or the weekend before at the MCSCC event. I could paddock next to you and lend a hand if needed.
As far as getting there, I cant help with that one. I only have the one trailer. There are a number of people with trailers hopefully you could borrow one or rent one for a weekend.

Let me know
MAC
Old 04-09-2007, 01:29 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Don,
My brother and I have been racing in SCCA for 11 years now. He lives in Naperville and - live in Yorkville. We have a shop in Aurora. Give me a call at he office, 630-844-0089. Perhaps we can be of some assistance.
Robert Finlayson
Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I'm available.

I probably get as big of a kick out of instructing as I do racing.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1661000
Old 04-09-2007, 09:15 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

Originally Posted by MAC95 6SPD
The SCCA is having a race at Blackhawk farms at the end of the month. I will either be shaking the car down that weekend or the weekend before at the MCSCC event. I could paddock next to you and lend a hand if needed.
As far as getting there, I cant help with that one. I only have the one trailer. There are a number of people with trailers hopefully you could borrow one or rent one for a weekend.

Let me know
MAC
Mac,

Since I'm a member at Autobahn, I get alot of hot lapping in, as well as a few 'non-SCCA' members race. What I'm looking for is a chance for a Regional Race. My license is a Regional.

The Blackhawk Farms event could be a good suggestion. How do I figure out what 'class' I fit into, how to register, how long is the race (miles/time). How many cars per class . . . I have so many questions?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:32 PM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

The SCCA regional is hosted by Milwaukee. You can sign up for the event online. http://www.scca-milwaukee.org go to road racing then to regional schedule. The registration is online.
As far as class goes it depends on your car. You can go to the SCCA.org website, under club racing then cars and rules download the GCR. A C5 would be either T1 if it falls under their rules, SPO is the catch all class but you need a good bit of safety falling under the GT1 prep. Lastly is ITE that is a catch all class for cars that can race in another series. I run in the TCC and you can see about us at the TCC website TCCRacing.com. If you car fits in our rules it can run in ITE with our rules.

The Finlaysons also race in the TCC and have set up and built a number of corvettes. They would also be a good source of information for you also since they are close to you.
Also I dont know when Robert and Randy Finlayson plan on getting their cars out but if they are going to the first event at blackhawk it would be a good event to attend.

PM me your number and Ill give you a call.
Mat Cutter

Last edited by MAC95 6SPD; 04-09-2007 at 11:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-10-2007, 04:48 PM
99BlackZ51
Racer

I have a C5 T1 and am also planning on running the SCCA Blackhawk regional the end of the month and would be happy to help you out as time permits. After seeing the list of your mods you would not be T1 legal but should fit well in ITE, just a bit underpowered. SPO may work as well but I am not familar with GT prep rules. Class counts for ITE have been fairly low lately but you do get to be out with the GT1's so be ready to watch your rearview!

Scott
Old 04-10-2007, 05:52 PM
A.D.Malmquist
Instructor

If you can make it to the 4-29 event, do it.

Mat is a great guy and could teach you a lot. It is a school weekend, so there would be a lot of other novice w2w drivers and the seasoned shoes would be expecting some silly things.

I may make it that weekend as well, if I do, I can give you all the tips you need for Blackhawk.

I'll see what I have for video.

Last edited by A.D.Malmquist; 04-10-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:36 AM
A.D.Malmquist
Instructor

Here are a couple laps at BFR, from '05

http://videos.camaroz28.com/search/b...cd26257fd1.htm
Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

Default Video

Originally Posted by A.D.Malmquist
Here are a couple laps at BFR, from '05

http://videos.camaroz28.com/search/b...cd26257fd1.htm

Hey, great video. That helps a bunch. After speaking with Mac, I'm planning on coming out for the race as a 'spectator'. I think a pre-track visit will take out some of the stress. I don't need that in my head when preparing for a race.

You guys have all been great. What a great forum, and great bunch of people.

Sincerely,
Old 04-12-2007, 10:14 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

Default Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by MAC95 6SPD
Do you have a track or weekend in mind.
MAC
Mac,

Thanks again for the time on the phone today. I think I'll plan on coming to BHF as a spectator in 2-weeks. I'll call you in advance, and make a point of finding you there.

I owe you one . . .

Don

Get notified of new replies

To First Time SCCA - looking for a ride

Quick Reply: First Time SCCA - looking for a ride