Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

over heating "pop off valve?"

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:11 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over heating "pop off valve?"

i thought it would be neat to rig up a system like nascars have where the steam shoots out when the car gets hot i was going to try to find a pressure valve that opens say at 20 psi and plumb it into the over flow system... any ideas or comments.. after i get it working it would be one less guage i would have to look at.....at watkins the car got hot and a freak thing hapened ,the metal sleave the hose attaches to poped out of the water pump.. i got sent out with the beginers because i was never there and they were going way too slow to keep my car cool. it needs aton of air to run cool...this might keep pressures down internally as a safeguard.. i had a 16 pound cap and it didn"t let go....
Old 07-29-2006, 01:48 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Don't know what you did to the car to limit the cooling capacity but running with the beginners shouldn't have generated enough power to raise the coolant temp above normal highway driving.

As for a pop off valve I think it should be left with NASCAR. If you use a pop off valve to solve a coolant problem you will be pumping antifreeze onto the track. NASCAR uses 100% water in their cooling systems so it isn't so bad.

Bill
Old 07-29-2006, 02:53 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I'm pretty confused, but almost all late model vehicles have a pressure limited cap on the radiator, and when it gets too hot, the extra (expanded) fluid already goes into the overflow resevoir. You can usually get higher/lower pressure caps as needed.

I run the OEM cap on my WC car. The C6 cap is higher pressure than the C5 cap
Old 07-30-2006, 09:54 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I'm pretty confused, but almost all late model vehicles have a pressure limited cap on the radiator, and when it gets too hot, the extra (expanded) fluid already goes into the overflow resevoir. You can usually get higher/lower pressure caps as needed.

I run the OEM cap on my WC car. The C6 cap is higher pressure than the C5 cap
yes it does have a 16 pound cap i run just water and water wetter..i was thinking of sealing the cap and using the pop off to let me know when things get hot. what i did was run the car on the hottest day at wg in 100 years. pyrometer said 115degrees shooting across padock..the car has a nasty motor that likes to run hot even with big mouth lower spoiler alluminum racing radiator and oil cooler..
Old 07-30-2006, 10:24 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

My car never runs hot at WGI. The oil only hits 285. coolant 200. The factory gearing is pretty good for WGI.

Get notified of new replies

To over heating "pop off valve?"

Quick Reply: over heating "pop off valve?"