Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed Trailer for AutoX - Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 09:48 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Enclosed Trailer for AutoX - Recommendations?

I've been looking for a few weeks at the various trailers for towing my autocross cars. I've looked at everything from open steel with just runners to 32' goosenecks. I've looked at pictures of probably 40 or so between Ebay, Racingjunk, TrailerShopper, etc. I've viewed a few local ones. I'm currently waiting on pictures from a number of trailers all over the eastern seaboard.

I'm located in Cocoa, FL so open trailer with a steel deck was the first to go from the list, secondly I eliminated the aluminum open trailers (they get a premium and they don't give me any extra storage at home).

I've looked at all the different "trim" levels including plywood walls & floor, vinyl walls, aluminum walls, vinyl floors, treadplate floors, etc. I've decided I want vinyl or aluminum interior walls.

My tow vehicle is a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel so I've got plenty of power. I have a location on my property to store up to a 32' Trailer that is out of the way.

I've got a few questions.

Are the Haulmark Edge trailers worth considering? I know they use the cheaper hat section posts instead of 1 x 1.5 steel tubes.

Is a 28' or 32' trailer just too long to deal with at events?

Does anyone use an awning? Do you park your car next to the trailer? I've been to a couple of locations in Florida and there wasn't a great deal of asphalt where you could park trailer and car, trailers got relegated to the grassy field.

Does anyone use a longish trailer not equipped with formal living quarters and crash for the night in with the car, say on cots?

How useful are upper/lower cabinets?

Does anyone have AC and "hang out" in the trailer during event downtime?

Any specific advice about the usefulness of any feature I didn't mention would be great and much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
Old 07-24-2006, 10:20 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Exiss. We have a 40' that we use to haul the drag car but their 28 is a very nice piece and reasonably priced.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:46 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I run a 24 ft featherlite, and I know ECS has a 24 ft enclosed as well, I have about 2 ft of cabinets, I built a 3 ft tall wall (was easier than trying to secure everything in front (extra tires without a rack, air compressor, toolbox, fuel cans, meth cans etc) about 4 ft back from that and the rest is car area and tie downs etc. I picked mine up used for 4500 with new tires/brakes from a friend of a friend (figured if/when I look to unload it I'm taking less of a loss and this isn't an every weekend deal more like 3-5x's a year). The big toys to make sure you get are an electronic jack on the front and if you plan on doing anything rougher on the car than autocross a winch is a nice thing to have (especialy for drag, things like to break...) I have an aluminum floor, and roof, wood sides. ECS's trailer has finished walls, checkerboard floor, winch, and even a roof mounted AC unit (might come in handy for florida but you'll need electric or a generator for that one)

20 is enough for the car an minimal stuff, 24 for cabinets car and a good amount of stuff, 28 is more like car, a golf cart/pit bike (more for drag type events) cabinet, tools fuel etc. sure bigger is better but more headache backing in an out of the house etc. Have to remember there's a good 4 ft of tongue in front of the trailer box as well, I'd think 24 should get the job done for you no problem, a C5 is about 15-16 ft over all as is my 55 chevy and 92 camaro....add in 2 ft each way for tie downs thats 20 The one thing you should look into if you're getting a new trailer is a low wheel well so you can open the door or even a door that opens over teh wheelwell to open the door of the car, otherwise you'll hope you're skinny like 6'1 170 lbs of me because I'm suck throwing a fender cover over the door and goin in/out dukes of hazard style

Florida is relatively flat, you can tow pretty much anything with that 2500...

I was managing hills with a tahoe with a 502 crate motor and a 2500 driveline in it without much of problems towing about 8K if I attempted to add everything up.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:50 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reidry
Does anyone use a longish trailer not equipped with formal living quarters and crash for the night in with the car, say on cots?

How useful are upper/lower cabinets?

Does anyone have AC and "hang out" in the trailer during event downtime?

Ryan
One of my buddies has an enclosed and it is really sweet. We start the season with VIR in February and will end it in December at VIR. He crashes in his at night (space heater keeps it toasty on cold nights) and we use it as a club house the rest of the time. (Shade in the summer and dry when it rains) Its a good place to set around bench racing, swapping lies, partaking of adult beverages and playing poker in the evenings.

The extra storage for spares, tools, etc. is another plus. The only down-side to enclosed trailer that I have seen is that they tend to collect a lot of extras that you wouldn't take to the track otherwise (fans, heaters, A/C, card table, etc.)
Old 07-25-2006, 09:36 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Check out Pace, they offer many options for racers, they are going to be a bit pricier than Haulmark but it will last longer. Here's a link http://www.paceamerican.com/trailers/use/race/
Old 07-25-2006, 10:02 AM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Check out Pace, they offer many options for racers, they are going to be a bit pricier than Haulmark but it will last longer. Here's a link http://www.paceamerican.com/trailers/use/race/
I like the Pace trailers. I'm shopping used tryiing to get the most for my money. I've looked at a '99 Pace Shadow GT for $8500 all treadplate floor, aluminum walls, in floor storage, and outside awning. Nice but felt more like $7500 to me. I've spoken with a dealer in Tampa about an '04 Pace Shadow GT Daytona vinyl floor, treadplate runners, air, cabinets, generator door, and deluxe electric for $9900 plus tax. Felt more like $9000 incl. tax.

Maybe I'm being cheap on what some of the options are worth.

Haulmark is definitely second teir in my mind. I would prefer a Pace, Vintage, Classic, etc.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 07-25-2006, 10:15 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Does anyone use an awning? - Pop-up tent

Do you park your car next to the trailer? Yes - in many paddocks I put down a 12' x 20' tarp next to the trailer and park on that.

-Yes use an air materise. I Have an extra satilite dish and TV as well.

How useful are upper/lower cabinets? - Store a lot of things in there. Spare rotors, hub bearings, box of brakes parts and fluids, oil. Bigger tools Plus the work bench on the lowere cabenits.

Does anyone have AC and "hang out" in the trailer during event downtime? - Yes AC is a must to cool off. I dont have AC but my buddy does and we hang out in there to cool off.

Any specific advice about the usefulness of any feature I didn't mention would be great and much appreciated! - Tire Racks and ramp extenstions from Pitproducts.com

Microwave - Ice chest. Coffee maker for when you camp. e-track on the wall to secure your rolling tool box.

Use the t-hooks to attach to the frame of your car to secure with 3000 or 5000 wratched tie down straps to the D-rings on the floor.
I have a Pace-American Pursuit 24 foot.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-25-2006 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:37 AM
gpm30236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 28 ft Aluminium trailer company enclosed trailer, smooth white interior , aluminum floor, with added traction spots at the wheel contact points. and a bar attached to floor, to stop the car from sliding sidewards ( yes it can do this even when the tow straps are tight ask how i know that ) It has had longer ramps installed makes loading and unloading much easier. winch with remote , has cabinets upper and lower across the front. has an A/C heater, installed an air compressor and lots of hooks/ hangers/ door cabinets, as well as mounted a couple of inexpensive tool boxes on the counter so that tools are accessible, I have a removable tire rack as well as removable generator. Tow it with a GMC 4500 , the entire rig weighs 19500 lbs with full fuel in both vehicles. and passengers. oh and don't forget some tow hooks on the car to help with loading if there is a problem with the car as well as the T hooks that fit in the frame for cinching down
Old 07-25-2006, 01:34 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

just to add, the front bunk on our 40' Exiss works great for two air matresses, and the A/C will keep it reasonably cool at night.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:52 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a Pace on order - same comments above about durability and resale value. Dealt with this dealer in NC and have been happy so far. I'll pm you the contact info. He has a decent inventory in the sizes and price range you are looking for, and made ordering one a breeze (2-3 weeks for me).

24ft sounds like a good middle ground of capacity and handling. Be sure to get the upgrade to 5K axles if possible. The added cargo capacity and bigger hubs and brakes are welcome additions. The ramp extensions are also a good idea to make loading less painful.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:31 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

okay guys since we're on teh topic and I'm using axle straps crossways, where can I get T-hooks.....I like that idea more...
Old 07-25-2006, 02:39 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

One more question, what are the opinions and experience with Gooseneck trailers versus Tags. I see some nice smaller Goosenecks in my price range but I've never pulled one.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 07-25-2006, 03:14 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by undertaker
okay guys since we're on teh topic and I'm using axle straps crossways, where can I get T-hooks.....I like that idea more...

Northern Tool is one place

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_43572_43572
Old 07-25-2006, 09:19 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by reidry
One more question, what are the opinions and experience with Gooseneck trailers versus Tags. I see some nice smaller Goosenecks in my price range but I've never pulled one.

Thanks,

Ryan
the Gooseneck pulls 10x better than the tag, even weighing almost 3k more loaded
Old 07-25-2006, 11:04 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I have an 05 Pace Daytona GT, 28'. I had friends with 24' trailers and it seemed like another 4' would be perfect. My trailer is loaded with options and I even got the 6K axles on there. She pulls great with my F250, 6.0L. The trailer doesn't have an awning, but I'm thinking about putting one on this winter. A pop-up tent is nice, but a pull out awning on the side would probably be a bit nicer and easier to use.
Just my thoughts.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:03 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

I'm looking at a red .040 sided 2000 Vintage Aero 24' 10K GVWR, gotta travel a good distance to this one. Carpet with Aluminum treadplate runners. Bottom cabinets only with two doors in center (might be owner built but nice). Includes 1 yr old awning. Includes winch. $6900

Another option is a white 2001 Haulmark Edge 32' 12K GVWR 3 hrs away, full treadplate, A/C, Air curtains, Cabinets upper and lower, factory installed L shape with outside generator door. Includes winch. $8000 <<SOLD>>

A dealer option is a white 2004 Pace Shadow GT Daytona 28' 10K GVWR 3 hrs away, vinyl floor treadplate runners, A/C, Cabinets upper and lower, factory installed L shape with ouside generator door. No winch. $9000

All are tag trailers with aluminum rims, haven't seen a gooseneck close and under $10K. I was considering the Haulmark up until I posed this and read my email to find out it was sold! Any thoughts?

Ryan

Last edited by reidry; 07-29-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:34 PM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know if I would want carpet on the floor (if that is what you are saying about the first trailer) even if it has runners. I get too many small rocks, sand and other stuff on the deck that I easliy sweep out. Carpet would be too tough to keep clean IMO.

I like my Pace a lot and I don't think you can go wrong with a Pace. You may be able to haggle with the dealer and get another $500 off that. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Enclosed Trailer for AutoX - Recommendations?

Old 07-29-2006, 09:14 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I just got quoted $9935.05 for a 24ft Pace Pursuit that included the $286 "Auto Hauler Package" from cttrailers.com ... that's pretty bare bones, but new at their Utah plant... surprisingly they want nearly $3500 for a simple open tailer... so I'm vaguely suspect of their pricing.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:16 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Anyone familiar with United Expressline trailers specifically those sold under the Southwest Expressline name?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan
Old 07-30-2006, 08:39 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

I have the United 24' trailer and have not had any problems or issues. I do not have experience with the Southwest product but the plants are not that far apart. Both are just outside Bristol, IN.

In Michigan about 5 of us have the United with the slope nose (worth about 1/2 mpg) and to my knowledge none have had a problem. Three of us have the raised floor and side escape doors. You can drive the car on the trailer and exit via the escape door without hitting the bottom of the door.

Also, the United builds a pretty good product, last winter some kids tried to break into my trailer at the storage lot and could only bust up the locks and bend the trim before they got discouraged and went to find an easier trailer.

Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailer for AutoX - Recommendations?