Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAUTION - Noobie on the Track!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 02:46 PM
DanC6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAUTION - Noobie on the Track!!

I’m taking my stock 06 C6 A6 vert to Homestead Motor Speedway next weekend with Chin Motorsports!

Are there any C6 specific things I should be concerned about or prepare for? Should I add a quart of oil? I have a 3M bra on, but are there any additional areas to protect?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated!

Dan
Old 07-24-2006, 04:06 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen some crazy tape jobs at HPDEs. I'd tape the backs of the wheel wells, where a rock thrown from the tire might hit the paint or the side of the car. I'd also make sure the headlight lenses were covered. I've had all sorts of stuff come off the car in front of me and smack my hood or glass. Mostly, it's tire rubber, but might be anything. That brings up another point: Following directly behind the car in front of you is sometimes inadvisable.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:42 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I'm assuming you are going to run the banking. If so, pay particular attention to the right side tires. Homestead really puts a lot of stress on those right tires and if your pressure isn't right, they can blister and chunk. If you don't run the banking, that'll be a shame and quite honestly, you'll be a bit bored with the track.

If you leave your ah/tc on, it'll really act funky when/if you go thru the banking. My recommendation, as always, is to turn the system completely off.

It does have some hard braking zones, so check your brakes often and make sure they are wearing OK. If your pedal gets long and you get uncomfortable, bring the car in and check it. Don't push a bad situation.

I have plenty of video of this track from this year's National race if you're interested. Good luck and have fun!!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:27 PM
no spin
Instructor

Regarding the adding of oil before going to the track, I asked this question here last year http://corvettemechanic.com/board/in...T&f=29&t=2665& . The answer after discussion with GM engineers was no.

Get notified of new replies

To CAUTION - Noobie on the Track!!

Quick Reply: CAUTION - Noobie on the Track!!