Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advantage in coilovers over T-1 springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 12:23 AM
nassaufrc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any advantage in coilovers over T-1 springs?

I am considerign a set of LG Motorsports coilovers from my car. I am running T-1 springs with Bilsein sports. I believe the coilovers have revloved Bilsteins. Any real advantage, other than adjustability? Any weight savings? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:31 AM
psycho-mullet
Instructor

They're actually probably a bit heavier, billet aluminum hardare vs. fiberglass springs. I didn't actually weigh everything, but the coilvers sure seemed heavier than everything coming off. I believe thats one of the reasons GM used the transverse leaf spring, if there's room it's theoretically the lightest system.

One other advantage in the adjustablility depatment is wide availabilty of manufactueres and spring rates, also springs are relatively cheap $200/set vs. $1000 for VBP. They are also much easier to swap out, getting the leaf springs out is kind of a PITA. Putting the coilvers in was a cinch (I doubt you swap springs very often, but...). They also have a much greater range of adjustment in ride height than the stock bolts allow.

I definately notice a different quality to the ride, the response of the metal springs feels quite different from the fiberglass. Less snappy and harsh if that makes any sense. It's purely subjective and qualitative, but I like the ride of the coilvers better.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

The ride quality of steel coil springs should be better than a fiberglass leaf. The transverse leaf transfers some energy to the other side in jounce, in theory.
The greatest advantage of the coilover setup is ride height adjustability. It would be great to lower the car for track day/autocrosses and then be able to bring it up for street use. As was already pointed out, spring rate changes are easier and cheaper with the coil springs.
The spring osoliations (wish we had spell check) difference between the fiberglass transverse leaf and the steel coils are very different so the shock valving should be taylored to match.

Locke
Old 07-24-2006, 01:51 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you corner weight with the stock transverse leaf springs?
Old 07-24-2006, 02:24 PM
psycho-mullet
Instructor

Originally Posted by yakisoba
Can you corner weight with the stock transverse leaf springs?
Yes. The mounting perches for the transverse spring have adjustable ride height bolts, theres plenty of adjustment there to ballance out the car.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:59 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by psycho-mullet
Yes. The mounting perches for the transverse spring have adjustable ride height bolts, theres plenty of adjustment there to ballance out the car.
Yes and no. The factory springs do offer a little bit of adjustability but nothing to the extent of a true race designed coil over package will give you. Not only would they allow for a wider range of adjustment, spring rate change is just a few minutes away in a lot more number of rates than what you will find in the factory designed leafs. This is just the top of the iceberg as to what can be done

Please feel free to contact me via phone, email, or PM and I would be happy to answer any and all questions you might have about our own race winning G2 Coil Over packages for C5 and C6 Corvette's. I would be happy to put together a custom set for your application and needs.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:40 PM
psycho-mullet
Instructor

Hey nassaufrc what is NASA GPC1 by the way? I've not heard of this class and I didn't find anything on the NASA website. I just noticed the 996 and the 355 in your pic and it looks like fun.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:15 PM
nassaufrc
Racer

Originally Posted by psycho-mullet
Hey nassaufrc what is NASA GPC1 by the way? I've not heard of this class and I didn't find anything on the NASA website. I just noticed the 996 and the 355 in your pic and it looks like fun.
It is an evolution of the Vette/Viper challenge class. Basically the same class, but allowing other makes into it. I run in the first class which has a few restrictions on the car and a 8/1 power/weight ratio of rwhp/car with me in it pounds.

Right now I am running with several 996's a couple of Ferrari's and other Vettes. NASA is eight going to make a National class next year or move us into their Performance Touring class.

I really enjoy it. Good competition and a great organization to run with.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:49 AM
DALE C
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out VBP springs they will make them in about any spring rate you want. The T1 stuff is to soft. I would also install their bushings.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:38 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

The big advantage as I see it with CO's you can weight jack to exploit specific tracks. So if you have a track with lots of right hand turns or the most important left hand sweeper enters a long straight you can weight jack your car to gain some speed. A tenth on one lap is 1 second after 10 laps which is a huge advantage. These kinds of adjutments separate the men from the boys. I have 100% trust in LG.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:53 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=fatbillybob]The big advantage as I see it with CO's you can weight jack to exploit specific tracks. So if you have a track with lots of right hand turns or the most important left hand sweeper enters a long straight you can weight jack your car to gain some speed. A tenth on one lap is 1 second after 10 laps which is a huge advantage. [QUOTE]These kinds of adjutments separate the men from the boys. I have 100% trust in LG.[QUOTE]

ummmmm............On the stock Corvette springs you can do that also. Shift wieght that is.............C/O overs only have the benefit of being able to adjust spring rates from side to side, although you defineatly will be picking up unsprung wieght by installing coil-overs.
Multiple adjustments are good (if you know what you are doing) but the ONLY benefit to coil-overs over is that you can run different spring rates per corner and the fact that multiple spring rates are more cheaply attained than having 10 transverse springs. I never really change my spring rate , mine seems to work OK 95% of the time. Plus which setting the car up after installing any new springs is a time consuming effort.

Hi Pattie
Old 07-27-2006, 04:09 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Yes and no. The factory springs...
What is the "no" part of this? The car can be corner weighted with the stock setup...
Old 07-27-2006, 04:45 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

I dont have any trouble attaining any ride hieght with my transverse springs.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:17 PM
danswofford
Pro

I have LG coil-overs and I like them very much. The car is wicked fast out of the box with LG's shock/coil selection. The products fit perfectly and works well and I'm glad I bought them.

However, unless, you are a hard core driver who wants to fiddle with changing springs and corner weights and ride heights, and you are a driver who can feel subtile differences in the car's handling I would not suggest buying them.

Your T1 setup is going to be fast and unless you want true race car adjustability and are willing and able to spend the time tinkering and testing, stick with T1.

And if you are a hard core drive who wants all the adjustablity, LG's bilsteins are not externally adjustable which you would want. I think that LG can get you adjustable shocks, just be prepared to pay for them.

Dan
Old 07-27-2006, 05:38 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
I dont have any trouble attaining any ride hieght with my transverse springs.
Danny, You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but our new coilovers will allow you place the car 1/2" off of the ground if you would like to with out shock issues. Can you say the same for your Leafs? I think not, therefore your statement of any rideheight is incorrect.

Our coilover setup is actually 8#s lighter than stock, 2#s per corner with almost the same unsprung weight. Infact, It is less unsprung weight because we run the shock upside down from the stock configuration.

I guess we should use transverse leafs on our race car. We might go faster. Actually, tell the GM Factory C6.Rs that leafs are superior.

I hate making posts like this, but I get real tired of reading the same unfactual statements time and time again.

As for cornerweights, I had a VERY talented customer attempt to cornerweight his car using the leaf springs and he was able to come nowhere near where it needed to be. A National champion with many, MANY SAE papers.

Thanks

Louis

Last edited by Anthony @ LGMotorsports; 07-27-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:57 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

[QUOTE=RAFTRACER][QUOTE=fatbillybob]The big advantage as I see it with CO's you can weight jack to exploit specific tracks. So if you have a track with lots of right hand turns or the most important left hand sweeper enters a long straight you can weight jack your car to gain some speed. A tenth on one lap is 1 second after 10 laps which is a huge advantage. [QUOTE]These kinds of adjutments separate the men from the boys. I have 100% trust in LG.

ummmmm............On the stock Corvette springs you can do that also. Shift wieght that is.............C/O overs only have the benefit of being able to adjust spring rates from side to side, although you defineatly will be picking up unsprung wieght by installing coil-overs.
Multiple adjustments are good (if you know what you are doing) but the ONLY benefit to coil-overs over is that you can run different spring rates per corner and the fact that multiple spring rates are more cheaply attained than having 10 transverse springs. I never really change my spring rate , mine seems to work OK 95% of the time. Plus which setting the car up after installing any new springs is a time consuming effort.

Hi Pattie

Danny,

Just stop it. You use leaf springs 100% of the time so of course they work 95% of the time.

There is no comparison between the leaf springs and coil over set up if the car is going to be taken to a higher limit.

the Leaf Springs are only acceptable if the rules limit you to them or if you DO NOT really want to exploit the full potential of the Corvette.

And don't forget that the leaf is mounted in rubber so that also changes the parameters.

The leaf spring is in the Corvette mostly for Price, tradition and ease of manufacturing. I think it is more tradition and a mandate from the corporate higher ups.

I love my street Corvette on the STREET with leaf springs, but I could not be satisfied with them on a race track.

Then there is the issue of the leaf spring hitting the rear wheel on the C5 when you run 12" wide wheels an lower it at the same time.

Our coil over package has less unsprung weight also because we run the shocks upside down and we use smaller diameter Hypercoil springs.

SO in conclusion, if you are looking for an 80% set up and you will be satisfied with that, then run leaf springs, but if you want to approach a higher limit, then use a coil over.

Using my old Radio analogy, a leaf spring will allow you to tune your car in like an AM station and coil overs will allow you to tune your car in like an FM radio station with a deep voiced Jazz DJ.

LG
Old 07-27-2006, 06:15 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Danny, You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but our new coilovers will allow you place the car 1/2" off of the ground if you would like to with out shock issues. Can you say the same for your Leafs? I think not, therefore your statement of any rideheight is incorrect.

Our coilover setup is actually 8#s lighter than stock, 2#s per corner with almost the same unsprung weight. Infact, It is less unsprung weight because we run the shock upside down from the stock configuration.

I guess we should use transverse leafs on our race car. We might go faster. Actually, tell the GM Factory C6.Rs that leafs are superior.

I hate making posts like this, but I get real tired of reading the same unfactual statements time and time again.

As for cornerweights, I had a VERY talented customer attempt to cornerweight his car using the leaf springs and he was able to come nowhere near where it needed to be. A National champion with many, MANY SAE papers.

Thanks

Louis
Here we go again, I thought we did this several months ago ..........Are you going to hang around long enough this time to answer all of the questions or will you disappear again ????

Dude, I dont use stock springs or shocks and yes I could put my rocker panels on the ground without using up all of my shock travel and I dont even have the "cool" drop spindles that you WC guys use. I wonder if you would still be able to be .5" off the ground and not use up all of your shock without those ??????

I am not ripping on coil-over set-ups, hell , the car I am running nationally this year has them on it ( but they are certainly not yours). I just think there is alot of propaganda coming from places to use them where they are not needed or required. Most of the guys on this forum are not going to re-setup their suspensions 3 times a week like us. The C6r , LG and others that race professionally have c/o's to have many , many spring rates which is more cost effective than having 10 expesnive composite leafs (or more ) , and so that you can bias a car to turn better in one direction. I be the C6R has adjustable shocks though...........

I dont make any unfactual statements Lou, I am not trying to sell parts on this forum like you. I am just trying to make sure that the members of this forum are well informed of when things maybe needed, and when they may not be needed.

Maybe you should just step down to my level and come prove it to me, that is how much more beneficial coil-overs are. I know you are busy winning WC races, but I really do need the lesson.

BTW , my shocks are inverted also. Lets compare component wieght lists.

I corner wieght cars all the time , I dont know why he (the National Champion with many SAE papers) couldn't achieve his target numbers with leafs. How many championships has he won and in what classes.(I think I already know the answer ).

I gotta go out to eat with my small children. We can continue this conversation later if you have the time.........Or you can call me , I think you have my #'s somewhere.

Get notified of new replies

To Any advantage in coilovers over T-1 springs?

Old 07-27-2006, 06:16 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What ever system you get make it stiff if you like handling.

what is the best air intake and which headers are best

Last edited by John Shiels; 07-27-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:33 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Here we go again, I thought we did this several months ago ..........Are you going to hang around long enough this time to answer all of the questions or will you disappear again ????

Maybe you should just step down to my level and come prove it to me, that is how much more beneficial coil-overs are. I know you are busy winning WC races, but I really do need the lesson.

BTW , my shocks are inverted also. Lets compare component wieght lists.

I corner wieght cars all the time , I dont know why he (the National Champion with many SAE papers) couldn't achieve his target numbers with leafs. How many championships has he won and in what classes.(I think I already know the answer ).

I gotta go out to eat with my small children. We can continue this conversation later if you have the time.........Or you can call me , I think you have my #'s somewhere.

Rafty,

Don't get personal because I am just as sharp tounged if I want to be. why do you get so angry when someone wants to buy one of our Coil over packages or our headers?

You are truly a legend in your own mind. You say 'step down to what?' AutoX?? I am not an auto X racer and you are not a road racer. The speeds are so different that it would confuse me to go so slow and for sure it would confuse you to go so fast. But I am sure that your ego will not allow you to accept that.

There are many great road racers that started in auto X but they moved on to full size race tracks in pro series. (PD Cunningham, Randy Pobst) I am sure that you could do it to but you like to post up your opinion about the best headers, and the best shocks and the best tires and the best brakes but only in YOUR WORLD, not in the world of high speed racing.

You use anectdotal evidence to back up your one sided claims and you make statements that are not based in reality. Or more to the point, they are based in "your reality". Then you say that you are not selling anything so that makes your statements true, and my statements false.?.?.?

Our Coil over package is able to slam a car without our World Challenge drop spindles. But that is the kind of blanket statement that you like to make to disparrage what you don't believe in.

So look. You can say what YOU like and I will say what I like and that is it. But you can not say that what I say is wrong just because YOU say so or because I sell parts.

Keep in mind that I use the parts that I sell, and I beat the Factory teams, Private teams, Porsche teams, Viper teams and all with my little old LG Motorsports parts. My parts must suck or I would have won by more. But then you don't use any of our parts so you don't know.

Have a nice dinner.

LG

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 07-27-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:47 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Still eating, but I will be right back. .....................

Quick Reply: Any advantage in coilovers over T-1 springs?