Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best suspension setup on a c6 z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 05:00 PM
1fastbusa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best suspension setup on a c6 z06

Soon i will be getting a c6 z06. I have always done the drag racing thing but this time around i want to do some autocrossing. I work for a dealership and specialty is suspensions. So ill have a alignment machine to play with as much as i want. That being said i would like to know what is the absolute best suspension system for this car. Coil over kits,sway bars,tie rods anything that will make it handel better whats out there? I just aligned freefall's vette not to long ago he had bought a nice set of aftermarket leaf springs that i liked. But i think the coil overs would add more adjustment to the setup. Thanks fellas
Old 07-23-2006, 05:18 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With auto-x you have to consider what class you want to be in. I believe the c6z06 will be in SS, which allows minimal modifications. All these cars need to do well are brake pads, fluid, alignment and tires.

if you decide to move to a different class you can.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:03 PM
1fastbusa
Instructor

well i really dont want to do any serious racing or getting into a class or anything i dont think i will have time for it. But if you were going to build the ultimate autocrossing c6 z06 what would you change
Old 07-23-2006, 06:42 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I wil let Danny Popp (raftracer) speak for the Auto-X question that you ask. I will say that it is very soft at a road race track and needs significantly more spring, compression damping, and roll rate. FOr the street it is very nice as is. Alignment is determined by what track and tires you run and how you like the setup.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:13 PM
1fastbusa
Instructor

Are the factory sway bars ok? What is a good coil over kit for this car thanks
Old 07-23-2006, 08:14 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1fastbusa
Are the factory sway bars ok? What is a good coil over kit for this car thanks
i think most people go to LG or DRM for coilovers. you'll want to talk to them about your goals, so they can set you up with the proper valving and spring rates.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:36 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Hey Allen - Danny is who helped me choose my setup. Like wallyman said, most people go to LG or DRM - each uses different spring rates and shock valving. The other mod most everyone does on the c6z's for track use is StopTech or other brand front brakes.

BTW - any guys near Raleigh, 1fastbusa does a great job on alignments - will take the time needed to get it to the EXACT specs you're interested in, and has the latest and greatest alignment machine to play with!
Old 07-23-2006, 10:13 PM
1fastbusa
Instructor

thanks for the kind words i cant wait till december i desided not to order one and just take my chances and see what i can find in december if i have to go across the country to get it so be it
Old 07-23-2006, 10:47 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fastbusa
Soon i will be getting a c6 z06. I have always done the drag racing thing but this time around i want to do some autocrossing. I work for a dealership and specialty is suspensions. So ill have a alignment machine to play with as much as i want. That being said i would like to know what is the absolute best suspension system for this car. Coil over kits,sway bars,tie rods anything that will make it handel better whats out there? I just aligned freefall's vette not to long ago he had bought a nice set of aftermarket leaf springs that i liked. But i think the coil overs would add more adjustment to the setup. Thanks fellas
If you are going to primarily autocross your vehicle , you are going to have to decide how much money you are willing to spend. Going from SS>ASP>SM2 can be a very expensive proposition. In stock classes (SCCA) you are allowed to change shocks and front bars only. In ASP you are allowed any springs that are standard operating type (like Freefalls). In ASP you are able to spend significantly more money on other modifications also (wheels,shocks,headers,carbon race seats, lightwieght clutches,wheels and on and on). If you would decide to go to coil-overs ( Like LG and some others would like you to do) then you would be a SM2 car, where in order to be ultimately competitive you would have to cut up ,destroy and spend a major boat load of money on your car to be FAST.

There are reasons why GM doesn't put coil-overs on the car from the factory even though they would be cheaper for them to manufacture. I think LG and I debated about this several times before he stopped answering the questions that were being raised. Whatever, he's winning World Challenge races and I am just some autocross jack-a##. One of the primary benifits of coil-overs would be if you were going to bias your car to primarily turn better in one direction................something that I would not worry about in autocross because you never know 'til the day you arrive how many corners are one way and how many are the other.
There are all sorts of things that you can do to gain better handling from the C6Z, and all sorts of parts are available. You need to decide (when you get said car) what you are going to do with it, what class you want to run, how fast do you want to be and how much money do you want to spend. If you would like to talk more about this, get my contact information from John, and I will tell you probably more than you want to hear
Old 07-23-2006, 10:57 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by freefall
Hey Allen - Danny is who helped me choose my setup. Like wallyman said, most people go to LG or DRM - each uses different spring rates and shock valving. The other mod most everyone does on the c6z's for track use is StopTech or other brand front brakes.

BTW - any guys near Raleigh, 1fastbusa does a great job on alignments - will take the time needed to get it to the EXACT specs you're interested in, and has the latest and greatest alignment machine to play with!

Freefall,
I am assuming you had your car corner wieghted too.................Hows that thing working ??????
Old 07-23-2006, 10:59 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I wil let Danny Popp (raftracer) speak for the Auto-X question that you ask. I will say that it is very soft at a road race track and needs significantly more spring, compression damping, and roll rate. FOr the street it is very nice as is. Alignment is determined by what track and tires you run and how you like the setup.

on all accounts mentioned, they can also use more rebound and lower CG............................Tell me when you want park the GT1 car and go REAL FAST in your street car
Old 07-24-2006, 07:33 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Is VBP making springs for the C6 yet? The C5 fronts should fit, but the rears are different. The reason I said compression (or bump) damping is I like the Moton style of bump control shocks. Obviously the rebound must be proportional and is mainly a function of spring rate. Most older style shocks are primarily rebound control. With a bump control shock like a Moton you can get the steady state cornering correct without having to have excessive spring rate for the transients (bumps). They also have a very large diameter shaft that displaces alot of fluid for superior control over small shock displacements and that pretty much guarantees a canister with the external adjusters and big $$$. I agree that most people do not need a zillion adjusters if it is correct to begin with.

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-24-2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:55 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Is VBP making springs for the C6 yet? The C5 fronts should fit, but the rears are different.
Absolutely, VBP has had springs before the C6Z came out.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:25 PM
VBP
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07,'13

Default C-6 Springs

Thank you Danny and yes, we do have C-6 springs and you know who tested them

If you have any questions or would like to order one, please contact me through the forum, or email directly to pattie@vbandp.com or call me toll free at 1-800-237-9991.

Pattie
Old 07-27-2006, 03:55 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VBP

If you have any questions or would like to order one, please contact me through the forum, or email directly to pattie@vbandp.com or call me toll free at 1-800-237-9991.

Pattie
Sounds like some stiffer leaf springs and revalved Bilsteins would do the deal just fine.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:57 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Sounds like some stiffer leaf springs and revalved Bilsteins would do the deal just fine.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:32 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Well 1 out of 2 would work for me. I have never cared for Bilsteins, no slam just not my cup of tea.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:17 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Well 1 out of 2 would work for me. I have never cared for Bilsteins, no slam just not my cup of tea.
, not my cup of tea either............
Old 07-27-2006, 06:34 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VBP
So when is the website going to get a C6 tab so we can window shop?

Get notified of new replies

To Best suspension setup on a c6 z06

Quick Reply: Best suspension setup on a c6 z06