Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much to install coilovers??

Old 07-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Bahnzii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much to install coilovers??

I have a set of coilovers coming (next week I hope) and I called a local speed shop (in No.Ca) that does corvette suspension work to get a price on installation, setting the ride height, adjusting the compression/rebound, 4 wheel alignment (performance street specs - still running the stock supercar runflats) and 4 corner weighting. They gave me a price of roughly $800.

Is this a fair price?

What alignment specs do you recommend for a performance street setup?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:11 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If they do it all and are fussy it doesn't seem out of line but not a bargin. Depends how much they know you are buying their knowledge also.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:21 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With NorCal shop rates approaching $100/hr I'd just see how long they need the car... with everything you've mentioned $800 is a great deal. The install has to be at least 3 hours, the alignment alone is $240 in SFBA, corner weighting takes time, and like John said you'll be buying some of their knowledge if they can really get comp/rebound adjusted to a good baseline.

My current street/autox/track alignment with stock everything on my C6 Z51 is -1.1deg front, -0.9deg rear, touch of toe-out in the front, touch of toe-in in the rear. Everything seems to be wearing well and the car feels solid with these settings... my only regret is letting them set "cross-caster for the street" as that feels a little odd to me.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Bahnzii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gkmccready, thanks...

They said they would need it for at least 8 hours... So it seems this is a fair price.

The cross caster does seem odd - how does that feel on the road?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:56 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I _slight_ tug to the right. Apparently cross-casters intent is to keep you from falling asleep and heading into on-coming traffic... that was the first explanation I found, the second explanation was that it was there to offset the road-crown.

Like I said, when I'm putting up the money for an alignment again I'm planning on telling them to much up the caster.

Get notified of new replies

To How much to install coilovers??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much to install coilovers??