Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE's: The point by

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 11:42 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HPDE's: The point by

Just in case anyone was wondering about the levels of saftey. I was fortunate to have my photo snapped as a Porsche gave me the point-by last week at cresson motorsports ranch!

You'll note the close car2car action and the "point by" from the porsche!!
http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...iewImage=38673

Here is all the "point by" action in place - top three pics!
http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...493&gal_page=3

Here is the track

Thanks for indulging - we had a great time!

JK
Old 07-20-2006, 07:07 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He gave you a good point by. I hate the little vague waves inside and outside the car.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great pic! Thanks!
Old 07-20-2006, 08:03 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

So how do you like Cresson Motorsports track compared to the other TXs tracks??
Old 07-20-2006, 08:51 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Our Corvette club was out there for a day a few weeks ago (different event than jkonkle's) and had a great time.

There are actually two courses, the 1.7 mile course is the one these pictures were taken at and a 1.3 mile course that's new. The two can be combined for 3.1 miles.

I've heard the 1.7 mile course described as a "Green slope" course. Very safe, no walls to run into, lots of run off room, not much in the way of blind spots. It's also very technical to get right, with off-camber turns, variable radius (or multiple apex, take your pick) corners, etc. It's a great place to have fun.

I've not driven the 1.3 mile course yet, but have heard it described as a "double black diamond" course. Very technical, elevation changes, a couple of blind corners, and run off areas are smaller. I was hoping to get out on it during our Corvette meet, but we had so many newbies (which was kinda the point of the whole day) we stayed on the 1.7 course.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-20-2006, 09:01 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love MSR in Cresson. I missed last weekend's event... I will be there in Sept.

It's a great track. VetteDrmr basically said it all.

I haven't driven the expanded 3.1 miler yet, and this year will be the first time I think I'll get down to the new MSR in Houston.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:19 PM
forhamilton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Josh

That picture must have been photo chopped. I heard he gave you a different finger.

Chris Hamilton
Old 07-20-2006, 11:19 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Funny you should mention very clear point by signals. At a recent visit to VIR I got a few. The photographer there happened to get this one...

Graham

Old 07-21-2006, 07:14 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's a point by I was giving a corner worker at VIR. I was in the right seat and acknowledged him with this universal sign of friendship as we got the checker at Oak Tree.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Jody
Old 07-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I talked to Doug yesterday and he said he told you about it.

It was a funny episode. On the first morning in the very first session, as I was passing Oak Tree, I saw the corner worker give me the international sign of friendship. I knew immediately who it was and planned to return the favor on the next lap but he'd never make eye contact with me. I finally couldn't wait any longer and when the checker came out I let him have it, and there was the photographer to record the gesture.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:19 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Falcon
I talked to Doug yesterday and he said he told you about it.
Doug had Mark and I going. We we thinking, "Jody ??? oh chit not Jody ??" then Mark asked what made Jody do that??

and Doug ( the corner worker ) said, " Well I flipped ( edit - I mean International sign of Freindship ) Jody off first."

Good to have cornerworkers as freinds guys. Spend time with them and buy them a Beer once in a while, might get you some clean track too.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Cisitalia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way could that be Jody. That just is not his demeanor. Rumor has it there is an imposter running around acting like the Mayor of BPK.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:35 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
......Good to have cornerworkers as freinds guys. Spend time with them and buy them a Beer once in a while, might get you some clean track too.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:33 AM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

So how do you like Cresson Motorsports track compared to the other TXs tracks??

Good question...

VetteDrmr makes good points at MSR Cresson. However, as it compares to the other tracks

MSR Houston - the track in Houston is complete, with great on-off camber and blind turns. The entire course has good run off area's except on the pit straight where you could take a wall. It has long turns and short turns as well as a couple of parking spots throughout the track. I would rate it as technical, yet high-speed. Also, when and if you go there, they will provide you with a layout of the track, including braking zones, camber offset's and radius degree's of the entire track. The man who designed it works there.

Texas World Speedway - this is a very fast track, with a few thought provoking turns which require slow in fast out. It's so quick it's hard for it to be too technical. MSR Cresson is what I consider a tight track, with turns popping up very quickly. TWS has great high-speed turns, a few blind spots, but has more walls (tire and crete) that can get you into trouble.

Texas Motor Speedway is up next month; we are doing an evening event - starting at 6pm and ending at Midnight. I'm really psyched about it. I've never done high-speed driving at night, but I solo most weekends (it's my choice for an instructor, which sometimes I just want to practice for seat time).

Finally, the new section that opened up at Cresson I think is pretty basic with only a few turns, one in particular is blind and over what I consider a steep hill. If your entry is not far track left, when you come over the hill you'll be off track on the right - then it's a quick sweep to the right with a small braking zone and then a hanging (patience for the apex) turn.

All in all, I prefer...ahh screw it - I love the fact we have four courses so close by and they are all great fun!

JK
Old 07-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Hey Tom,

Do you think we could get big posters of that to use as an example at the NCM events? Two reasons. One, to show the proper point by. Two to show the Vette Enthusiasts there a P-car giving a point by to a Vette. Just a thought.

Bob
Old 07-22-2006, 11:05 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Bob

The photographer emailed that 'point by' photo to me and we sent it around bu email for a day or so. Then Falcon posted it.

We do try to talk about 'proper' point bys, not use the international sign of frendship point-bys.

I went to a Porsche event a few years ago and I was getting a lot of the 'friendship' point bys. The worst was a week a go at viper days.

my student ( in a Honda S2000) was getting a lot of Viper point bys like this:

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE's: The point by

Old 07-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Bob

The photographer emailed that 'point by' photo to me and we sent it around bu email for a day or so. Then Falcon posted it.

We do try to talk about 'proper' point bys, not use the international sign of frendship point-bys.

I went to a Porsche event a few years ago and I was getting a lot of the 'friendship' point bys. The worst was a week a go at viper days.

my student ( in a Honda S2000) was getting a lot of Viper point bys like this:

Ahem...I meant the actual point by in the first post. Not the "International Greeting". Remember the issue at Putnam Park. Might help. As for Jody and his "greeting"

Bob
Old 07-22-2006, 06:09 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Ahem...I meant the actual point by in the first post. Not the "International Greeting". Remember the issue at Putnam Park. Might help. As for Jody and his "greeting"

Bob
I would suggest if you buy the pic, buy it before August 1st and you get a 10% discount off the price of a large sized print.

I'm buying it along with a few others to do a collage with a movie strip effect at the top.

JK
Old 07-23-2006, 05:13 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonkle
I would suggest if you buy the pic, buy it before August 1st and you get a 10% discount off the price of a large sized print.
Screw the point-by pic-- I want a "large sized print" of your avatar...

Quick Reply: HPDE's: The point by