Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS GT 1& 2 Possibilties ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:22 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Default ALMS GT 1& 2 Possibilties ???

Ok we know Panoz is building a GT1 car "within 12 months"

Here are some other thoughts, some may be true some may be typical British

# Sighns of life @ Lexus website...
# Strong rumours of Tracy Krohn return to ALMS with a Prosche 997 (and a Radical SR9)
# Forums saying 9 (yes 9) 997s heading for ALMS in 2007!
# First pics of the new Porsche 997 @ endurance-info

and the other BIG one Porsche may be in devleopment of a GT1 car useing the Carrara GT chassie or the Buggati buster anounced on Speed. http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto...wmodels/28090/

Info from pistonheads.com

Porsche's GT plans resurface
Monday 13th February 2006 ( old story)

Porsche looks set to produce a Bugatti Veyron-beater, according to this week's Autocar magazine. The machine will be based on the Le Mans car that Porsche has under development, but will be a road-going version. It's due in 2009.

The 950bhp car, to be called the GT1, will hit a top speed of 254mph -- that's just a shade over the Veyron's 252mph top whack. However, by the time the GT1 arrives, the game may well have moved on, since there are strong rumours of a faster Veyron under wraps. The GT1 will be based on the Carrera GT, using a modified version of its carbon fibre chassis but with a different nose and tail, plus a roof. The dashboard's said to be very similar too.

We don't yet know though where the power is to come from. It could be a modified version of the GT's V10 or a turbocharged V8 -- the engine in the Cayenne -- but bored-out to 5.5-litres."

If that car does have 950 bhp then the Corvettes can take out the 2 restrictors and get back to 900 bhp and AM would be Chit out of luck.

Cirtek will run Ferrari 550 @ PLM and Laguna

on the P2 front

Accura looks like to have 3 teams of 2 cars each or 6 Accura powered cars in LMP2 for 2007
Old 07-18-2006, 07:33 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

All I know is that we need someone else to run against in GT1 beating Prodrive is no fun anymore.

Get Panoz in here, bring on the Porsche. The C6R program needs some new competition, some new money in GT1 would be great, the more the better! Then we will have more than just 2 cars to run against, or we could pull the restictors and reclassify the car as a P1 car
Old 07-19-2006, 07:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
or we could pull the restictors and reclassify the car as a P1 car
Well the vettes are COUPES
Old 07-19-2006, 10:08 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

The ALMS needs to allign their rules more to the FIA GT where the S7s and Mc12s are competitive. The ACO has regulated both cars out of LM.

The ACO and FIA GT were working together to unify GT racing but things seem to have fallen apart.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:14 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 93Polo
T

The ACO and FIA GT were working together to unify GT racing but things seem to have fallen apart.
GT1, GT2 and the new GT3 technical rules should be the same
Wether it is ACO, FIA or Japan GT. Maybe some manufacutres might build a few more competitive cars if they knew the rules would not change.

Even the SCCA GT1 should be the same, but only for amature drivers.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:59 PM
rcolling
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope there are some positive announcements rather than just speculation. We have gone through this cycle with ALMS a number of times now.

I am at the point where I wish GM as a team would pull out of ALMS and sell C6Rs to customers and then provide factory support ala Porsche. The favored teams get factory drivers, mechanics, parts and some funding.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:09 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Polo
The ALMS needs to allign their rules more to the FIA GT where the S7s and Mc12s are competitive. The ACO has regulated both cars out of LM.

I thought the FIA GT did that a few years ago and Maserati was built the MC12 to the old FIA GT rules and it ended up being too wide and long for ACO rules.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:48 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by micro
I thought the FIA GT did that a few years ago and Maserati was built the MC12 to the old FIA GT rules and it ended up being too wide and long for ACO rules.
From what I understand the car was built to wide for both. They built a race car to comform to the FIA GT rules but then the ACO turned down the car since the race car is not the street cars dimensions but the street car is not legal either. I have read conflicting reports on the MC12 but that is the best I can put together.

IMO the ALMS would be better alligning the rules with the FIA GT where very much the same car are homolgated to run over several track layouts over a season not 1 race with an sancioning body known for some odd rules. The US market does not support the R&D of GT1 cars for a specific US series.

Get notified of new replies

To ALMS GT 1& 2 Possibilties ???

Quick Reply: ALMS GT 1& 2 Possibilties ???