Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK for Hoosiers for Chevy dealer repair?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 03:31 AM
S20004sale
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK for Hoosiers for Chevy dealer repair?

I've heard that Chevy encourages racing the Corvette, but is it OK to leave on track tires if you are in need of servicing, or should you change back to street tires?
I was planning on autocrossing this weekend, but it began to run rough and miss at low rpm's before I got a chance. I have the Hoosiers on the stock rims and will have to change them back to the GY's.
A mechanic at the event checked the temp and found it low on 2 of the exhaust outlets and plugs. No check engine light came on. No warnings of any type. Any ideas??? Bad gas- Shell 91 octane??? Cam?? Intake problem I've read about recently?? Thanks
Old 07-17-2006, 06:29 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

SO you only have one set of wheels?? If you have two sets of wheels, one set with the Hoosiers and the other set with the GYs, change back to the Good years.

Hoosiers clearly says do not drive thier tires on the street, even though they have a DOT rating.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:10 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
SO you only have one set of wheels?? If you have two sets of wheels, one set with the Hoosiers and the other set with the GYs, change back to the Good years.

Hoosiers clearly says do not drive thier tires on the street, even though they have a DOT rating.

Guess I should not have driven mine from Sebring to Kenilworth Lodge and back then
Old 07-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I blew the power steering hose (they had a problem in 92 with them) on my C4 while doing a test session. Loaded the car back on the trailer and since I didn't want to to ruin the pump by running it without fluid I just trailered it to the dealer (almost new car), with the BFG's (obviously racing but DOT tires) still on the car (ok, I was lazy, didn't want to bother to change the tires, didn't figure it would matter).

After they replaced the hose under warranty the service manager took me aside and said that he was happy to do the work, BUT: If it was in the shop for warranty work again, looking like that and the zone rep walked thru we would both have a big problem. He simply asked that I do them both a favor and not be quite so obvious and we would still be buddies....

Discretion is the better part of valor....
Old 07-17-2006, 08:13 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
After they replaced the hose under warranty the service manager took me aside and said that he was happy to do the work, BUT: If it was in the shop for warranty work again, looking like that and the zone rep walked thru we would both have a big problem. He simply asked that I do them both a favor and not be quite so obvious and we would still be buddies....

Discretion is the better part of valor....

Don't give them an excuse to void your warranty--all it takes is one person there to blackball your car...
Old 07-17-2006, 08:42 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You think GM is tough you should see what Lotus is doing to the Elise owners. Dumping the computer...if they find 3 standing starts or one rev over the limit the warranty is voided.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:01 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
You think GM is tough you should see what Lotus is doing to the Elise owners. Dumping the computer...if they find 3 standing starts or one rev over the limit the warranty is voided.
TED, you know I love racing the Elise I co-drive and have lots of respect for the talented engineers at Lotus, BUT, Lotus has to be one of the most bassackwards throwbacks to the "cottage industry" mentality that destroyed most of the British automotive industry in this country. Just for reasons like the ECU dump, the "now you see 'em, now you don't" parts availability and the general tendency for stuff to fall off the car indiscriminately, I don't think I'll be buying an Elise anytime soon

Get notified of new replies

To OK for Hoosiers for Chevy dealer repair?

Quick Reply: OK for Hoosiers for Chevy dealer repair?