Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 A6 Question regarding Launch off the line and acceleration out of the turns

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 10:34 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 A6 Question regarding Launch off the line and acceleration out of the turns

I just got my 06 with A6 and I am having trouble getting of the line and getting responsive acceleration out of the turns at a local autocross event this weekend. It seems sluggish almost like a hesitation. I had an 03 with A4 I autocrossed that did not have these issues. I tried S with TC control off, S in Competition mode, S with TC off using the paddles. In each instance the car just didn't seem to have the power of my C5 even with the additional HP and A6. Any help would be great. This very well could be me just not being familiar with my new car.

With 400HP I should be able to smoke the tires if I wanted to and rip out of the turns.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:37 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rjung
With 400HP I should be able to smoke the tires if I wanted to and rip out of the turns.
The C6s traction control and torque managment will not allow you to do that. No you not turn off the torque managment either.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:00 AM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

How do I deal with this situation. These on board systems seem to rob the car of its potiential. Has anyone else figured anything out regarding this issue.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by rjung
How do I deal with this situation. These on board systems seem to rob the car of its potiential. Has anyone else figured anything out regarding this issue.
You need to find a reputable tuner in your area to get the TM tuned out and shifts firmed/quicked up so it will drive like you think it should
Old 07-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm not sure transmission tuning is available yet for the A6, but if not it will be available soon. Until that is hacked, you won't be able to fully get rid of the torque management.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:11 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you holding the car in 1st or 2nd gear? Will the trans stay locked in 1st or 2nd gear? Looking at the stock ratios, 1st gear is good for around 48mph, and 2nd for 81mph at 6500rpm.

If you are in a single gear, not shifting, there should hopefully be little torque management kicking in.

I can see it being frustrating with so many systems holding back the cars performance - GM needs to work on this, they are not building Buick's here.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:36 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BPC5R
I can see it being frustrating with so many systems holding back the cars performance - GM needs to work on this, they are not building Buick's here.
They're also not building race cars

Just playing devil's advocate here... it is first and foremost a street car, intended to be safe on the street, and somewhat accepting of a ham-footed driver...

But I agree, it is unfortunate that there are so many things to be overcome. GM uses track capability as a selling point, yet doesn't really make a track car...
Old 07-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Probably still better than a BMW or Mercedes where you can't turn off the AH. Just was reading my latest edition of the Roundel where they were testing the 5 series and they were wishing it was more like the Corvette.
Bill
Old 07-17-2006, 08:36 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I AutoXed a friend's A6 C6 about a month back on my 315 & 335 Kuhmo 710s.

First off turn both the AH & TC off. With those on at all it won't let you do jack. Second make sure you're in "S" then tap one of the paddles to make sure you are controlling the shifts. I found the car pretty responsive like this. I'd launch in 1 and brake-torque it as much as the stock torque converter would allow. It launched hard but really wouldn't spin the 335s (which surprised me a little, I expected to be able to spin them at will off the line). But it certainly came out of the hole nicely, no issue there.

The only times it felt slugish or unresponsive out of the turns was when I forgot to shift it back down to 1 in the braking zone for the tighter turns (I run a very fast AutoX series where there's plenty of turns well over 1st gear's top speed, but still a few that duck under it). That was mostly my lack of seat-time in the car and being used to a M6 myself.

Overall the car felt really good and impressed me for what it was (base model with C6 Z06 sway bars & shocks, and the R-compound mentioned before). The A6 isn't perfect, and I certainly would have chose the gear ratios differently, but you can make it work.

Just whatever you do don't let it think for itself...

-TJ
Old 07-17-2006, 09:18 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the input. I agree its possible to make it work autocrossing. The car handles like a dream with the great corning and braking capabilities due to the Z51 package. The biggest problem are the C5/C4 MN6 guys ripping off the line to the first turn. I am sure I can get more out of the car with seat time. Some of the isssues could be in how quite the car is it just doesn't sound like its going fast. I found this made the car hard to shift because I couldn't hear the engine until the RPM'S were really high.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Rippied Z06
I'm not sure transmission tuning is available yet for the A6, but if not it will be available soon. Until that is hacked, you won't be able to fully get rid of the torque management.
I was talking to my tuner last night........he said he can pretty much eliminate TM on an A6 , but not change shift pressure/quickness yet
He has done one locally, I just haven't taken a spin in it........yet
Aug 5th I plan too

Get notified of new replies

To C6 A6 Question regarding Launch off the line and acceleration out of the turns

Quick Reply: C6 A6 Question regarding Launch off the line and acceleration out of the turns