Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPOILER - SPEED GT race

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 02:46 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SPOILER - SPEED GT race

LG leads wire-to-wire, running the fastest race lap, and holds off Imery in P-car for the win. LG sweeps all the points from the race.

1. LG Vette,

2. Imery P-Car, +.523

3. Pilgrim Caddy, +.841

4. Fellows Caddy, + 10.528

5. McCann Viper, + 14.344

Aschenbach was penalized for jumping the start. Imery starting 2nd, went off on L2, allowing Reese to pass for 2nd, who ran on LG's tail until a mech prob. on L10 caused him to retire.

Marziale (LG's buddy from Infineon) made contact w/Foster on L6, which caused Archer to spin and sent all 3 Vipers to the pits for repairs.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:04 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Awesome!! WTG Lou!

Does this mean that Lou is now leading the championship? I don't know how the points system works.

Sorry to hear about Leighton. Do you know why he retired?

Hopefully, they won't further restrict the Corvette now that Lou has won again.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Lou and all the guys down at LG
Old 07-15-2006, 03:20 PM
rcolling
Le Mans Master

Great news for Lou.

Looks like the hard work is paying off...
Old 07-15-2006, 03:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

now the SCCA can stuff that in their hat.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:27 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xsiveone
Awesome!! WTG Lou!

Does this mean that Lou is now leading the championship? I don't know how the points system works.

Sorry to hear about Leighton. Do you know why he retired?

Hopefully, they won't further restrict the Corvette now that Lou has won again.
I believe LG is now in the lead in driver's points; 30(win) + 5 (pole) +1 (leading a lap) + 1(leading most laps). Aschenbach picked up 19 (9th place finish) + 2 (Q4). L T&S didn't specify what Reese's problem was. LG/Reese had opend an 8 sec. gap back to 3rd place prior to Rese retiring. LG appeared to back-off ( at one point running 2 sec. slower laptimes), allowing Imery to close the gap by the end of the race
Old 07-15-2006, 07:21 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Nice job Lou!!!
Old 07-15-2006, 08:58 PM
johninar
Drifting

That's really great news. Way to go Lou!
Old 07-15-2006, 09:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Gigliotti Wins Inaugural SPEED GT in Utah
Written by: SCCA Communications
Tooele, Utah – 7/15/2006 No. 28 LG Pro Long Tube Headers Chevrolet of winner Lou Gigliotti. (Weber/SCCA photo)

Lou Gigliotti, of Dallas, held off a charging Ricardo Imery to capture his second win of 2006 and take the SCCA Pro Racing SPEED World Challenge GT Championship point lead in the inaugural run at Miller Motorsports Park, part of the Larry H. Miller Dealers Utah Grand Prix weekend. Andy Pilgrim, of Boca Raton, Fla., was third.

Starting from the pole position in his No. 28 LG Pro Long Tube Headers Chevrolet Corvette C6, Gigliotti took the lead at the start and never relinquished it, winning the 14-lap, 62.804-mile contest by 0.523 second, averaging 88.469 mph. At the standing start, Gigliotti led second-starting Imery in his No. 64 AXA Financial/Cavenas Elevators Porsche 911 GT3 and Imery's teammate, point leader Lawson Aschenbach, into turn one. Aschenbach's day would get off to a poor start, though, as the rookie was issued a stop-and-go penalty for advancing prior to the start. When Aschenbach pitted to serve his penalty, Leighton Reese, who started fourth in his No. 6 Banner Engineering Chevrolet Corvette C6, advanced to third, and then to second when Imery had a quick off-and-on at turn 21 on the second lap.

"Ricardo [Imery] went off the track and gave me a head start," Gigliotti said of his start. "You saw how close it was at the end. If he had been in second the whole race, we could not have held him off. He was just too strong."

From there, Reese put the chase on Gigliotti. The two traded fast race laps as they navigated the 4.486-mile road course for the next eight laps. On lap 10, Reese got alongside Gigliotti for the lead as they drag-raced into turn one. Gigliotti held the point and then Reese's day took a heartbreaking turn as he pulled off course at turn six with a broken driveshaft.

"It was Leighton and I [battling for the lead], but foolish me, I thought a fellow Corvette driver would just want to run together," Gigliotti said of his battle with Reese. "But, he didn't. He kept trying to pass me. So, I had to burn my car down to stay ahead of him. He obviously burned his car down more. I think if we both would have taken it easy, we both could have had something at the end. But, I did not have any car at the end."

From there, it appeared to be clear sailing for Gigliotti, who had built nearly eight seconds between his Corvette and Imery's Porsche. However, after battling with both Reese and the mid-90 temperatures, Gigliotti's car began to fade, while Imery's car got faster. With Pilgrim's No. 1 XM/Mobil 1/Motorola/On Star Cadillac CTS-V in tow, Imery cut the lead to just one second as the white flag flew. Try as the Infineon Raceway winner would though, Imery could not find a way past the Corvette on the final tour, allowing Gigliotti to score his 22nd win, becoming the first repeat winner of 2006.

"Ricardo probably burned his car up trying to get to me," Gigliotti said of his late battle with Imery. "He had a couple of shots at me and I just held him up in some places where he was good and then scooted out of there in places where I was good. I was able to beat him at the end of the straightaway. Luckily, I was able to hold him off."

Imery, of Caracas, Venezuela, also had a good day in the points, and his second place finish gave him the Piloti Rookie of the Race award.

"I had a good shot at him [Gigliotti] at the end," Imery said of his last lap battle for the lead. "I saved my tires for the last three or four laps and then I just went at it. I think if we would have had one more lap, I could have had him. But, unfortunately at the start, I went to the outside I picked up some stuff on the tires and unfortunately I went off on the second to the last turn and gave Leighton [Reese] second place. Then Leighton had a mechanical problem, that's how racing goes, he gave it back to me.

"Then I set my sights on Lou. But, at the end he had a little more power than the 911 Porsche on the straightaway. In all, it was a great finish." Pilgrim's race followed his signature calm and steady pace, and the defending series Champion's third place finish moved him up to second in the Drivers' Championship.

"I got a great start," Pilgrim said. "I got past Leighton and Lawson [Aschenbach] had a problem and had to go into the pits, which was good. But, it was really about taking care of the tires early on and then maybe having something for who was ever in front of me at the end. Richardo and Lou were coming back to me, but we did not have enough time. There were certain places where they were quite a bit quicker than I was. But, I didn't really have anything to go after them with."

Canadian Ron Fellows drove the team car to Pilgrim's Cadillac, again sporting the Project Gotham 3 graphics on the No. 16 car, to finish fourth after starting sixth. His pass on Michael McCann for fifth earned the B&M Oil Cooler's Coolest Move of the Race. McCann, of North Canton, Ohio, was the highest finishing Dodge, coming home fifth in the No. 82 McCann Plastics/H&N Filters Dodge Viper. Bob Woodhouse was sixth in his Viper, followed by the Porsche of James Sofronas, Rob Foster's Viper, a resurgent Aschenbach in his Porsche and Brett Pearson. Pearson earned the Sunoco Hard Charger award in his No. 77 Ventex Corp/Pearson Motorsport Dodge Viper for advancing from 18th on the grid to finish 10th.

With the win, three-time series Champion Gigliotti moved into the point lead for the first time this season, with 155. Pilgrim moved from third to second, with 143, followed by Aschenbach, who is the top rookie, with 141, Imery (131) and McCann (124).

Porsche extended its lead in the Manufacturers' Championship Presented by RACER Magazine from one point to three, and now leads Cadillac 38 to 35, followed by Dodge, with 31 and Chevrolet, with 29.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:52 PM
FB#1
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats Lou !!

What size boat anchor is the SCCA going to make you drag around at the next race because of the win ?
Old 07-15-2006, 11:13 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

I absolutely love it that most people here put "Spoiler" in the thread title if the thread is going to give away race results.

I hate it when you visit a site and someone not only posts the race results, but they post it in the thread title.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:49 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by joemoia
I believe LG is now in the lead in driver's points; 30(win) + 5 (pole) +1 (leading a lap) + 1(leading most laps). Aschenbach picked up 19 (9th place finish) + 2 (Q4). L T&S didn't specify what Reese's problem was. LG/Reese had opend an 8 sec. gap back to 3rd place prior to Rese retiring. LG appeared to back-off ( at one point running 2 sec. slower laptimes), allowing Imery to close the gap by the end of the race

Hi Guys,

Thanks guys. It was a great race. As they said in the press release, the porsche driver locked up his brakes and went off in turn 21 trying to catch up under braking. Oh well.

It was the hottest race that we have done in many years. The air blowing in from our ducting to cool the driver was like having a blast furnace blowing in my face. And with no yellows, I didn't have any time to take a drink from my drink bottle. So it was a brutal race.

It will be on Speed TV next Saturday at 4pm eastern time. Check out the interview after the race. I mentioned the Corvette forum

This track with mostly corners, was well suited for the Corvette. Hopefully the SCCA will see that on their data plus the fact that the Corvettes were not the fastest cars on the straights and maybe give us our old restrictor back. If they did that and added 50 pounds, it would go a long way to slowing the Corvettes in the corners, while letting us get our top end back. We will need the top end speed for the next 3 tracks.

My Crew did a fantastic job. They work hard without question to make sure that all 3 of our Corvettes run their best.

Thanks again for all the support. This should be a good TV show next week.

Lou Gigliotti LGM

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 07-16-2006, 06:46 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cannot wait to see the race next weekend!

It does make you wonder what SCCA will do next?
Old 07-16-2006, 07:07 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
now the SCCA can stuff that in their hat.
They can stuff it where the Sun dont shine.

Good Job Lou
Old 07-16-2006, 10:20 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by varkwso
Cannot wait to see the race next weekend!

It does make you wonder what SCCA will do next?

No, they will say "Hey Lou carry this bag of Portland cement there is no way we could have a privateer win"
Old 07-16-2006, 12:43 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Congrats Lou!

Looks like you have no trouble learning a new track.

Looks like the factory teams can't keep up unless they have data for their computers!
Old 07-16-2006, 01:51 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FB#1
Congrats Lou !!

What size boat anchor is the SCCA going to make you drag around at the next race because of the win ?
+ 40 lbs. rewards weight

Get notified of new replies

To SPOILER - SPEED GT race

Old 07-16-2006, 02:28 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Way to go Lou

Look out for the next penalty.

Larry
Old 07-16-2006, 08:16 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,392 Likes on 745 Posts

Congrats, Lou, on an awesome win; can't wait to see the show next Saturday.

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
This track with mostly corners, was well suited for the Corvette. Hopefully the SCCA will see that on their data plus the fact that the Corvettes were not the fastest cars on the straights and maybe give us our old restrictor back. If they did that and added 50 pounds, it would go a long way to slowing the Corvettes in the corners, while letting us get our top end back. We will need the top end speed for the next 3 tracks.
Wouldn't that require a logical train of thought?

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a huge fun track out there in Utah.

Quick Reply: SPOILER - SPEED GT race