Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 bad shaves from the tire rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 11:22 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 bad shaves from the tire rack

Hate To Say Any Thing Bad About The Tire Rack ..... But Thtis Is The Second Time They Boched A Tire Shave ... Anone Else Have This Experience I Ran At Ra Last Dec With New Victoracers Heat Cycled And Shaved From The Tire Rack.. And Going Down The Back Streach I Thought My Teeth Were Going To Fall Out From A Vibration.. We Checked Every Thing When I Got Home I Had The Tires Re Ballanced And They Were Fine Then We Tried The New Hunter Road Force Ballencer And The Tires Were Terrible The One Tire Was At 80 Lbs ! Two Were At 60! I Got A New Set Yesterday And The Same Thing Raitings In The 6o Lbs Range You Can See The Un Even Cutting My Tire Guy Trued Them Up All Down To 7 Lbs Or Less ... My Tire Are Big 315s Is This Typical Or Do You Guts Shave Your Own Tires.... PS IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN 7 OUNCES TO BALLANCE ONE NEW TIRE WITHOUT RE SHAVING HAD TO TAKE ALMOST ALL THE TREAD OFF.. SUCKS THERE A GRAND A SET....
Old 07-14-2006, 05:45 AM
jlucas
Racer

Vilven Tire
Old 07-14-2006, 06:14 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you approach Tire Rack? How did they respond?

Old 07-14-2006, 01:26 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

That's too bad about shave job. Call Luke and see what he says.

Not to change the subject, but why not run 710's? Once you pay to shave Victoracers the money is almost the same.

The other thing is that a lot of people run the Victoracers in the dry without shaving them. I got a used set last year and panicked when I read Kumho recommendation to shave for dry track use. The used 315 rears are now one year old and still are not quite bald. They are getting hard though. the date code is 2003!
Old 07-14-2006, 01:36 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been running VR's for 7 years without ever shaving them. never had a problem, and with full tread I can run them in the rain.

If you keep the pressures slightly higher, they'll last 20-25 track days.
my tires are from 2003, and they still stick very well, and have a few more days left before I see cord.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never shaved mine either. If you are so competitve you want a faster tire go with the 710, otherwise just run the victoracer for longevity.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:13 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

I Have Run The 710s I Spun Twice On Them I Had To Run Air At 27 Front 29 Rear To Stick ,,car Still Pushed.. I Use The Victors Because The Work Well Even When Wet.. I Ran 710 In Rain Verry Slippy.....even With No Standing Water.. I Ran Worn Victors 2 Weeks Ago , The Rain Was Comming Down In Sheets Tons Of Standing Water Just Scarry Enough To Be Fun.... I Will Fax The Ballance Specs To The Tire Rack Today They Said The Would Take Of The Price Of The Shaving Like $15 . I Dont Think Thats Really Fair Constdering The Damage To The Tires....

Get notified of new replies

To 2 bad shaves from the tire rack

Quick Reply: 2 bad shaves from the tire rack