Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridgestone, Microsoft Get Exclusive F1 Contracts

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 12:27 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Bridgestone, Microsoft Get Exclusive F1 Contracts

Bridgestone, Microsoft Get Exclusive F1 Contracts
Written by: RACER staff Paris, France – 7/5/2006

Bridgestone's monopoly should effectively happen already in '07, as Michelin is set to pull out of F1 by this season's end. (LAT Photo)

Bridgestone and Microsoft have been granted exclusive contracts to be the sole suppliers, of tires and ECUs respectively, of Formula 1 beginning in 2008.

The announcement was made following this Wednesday's meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Paris.

The move to a single tire supplier and standardized ECUs (Electronic Control Units, responsible for a car's engine management) is part of the FIA's radical cost-saving package announced earlier this year for introduction in '08. Both Bridgestone and Microsoft will supply F1 through 2010.

In the specific case of the Japanese tire company, its monopoly will go in effect already next year, as rivals Michelin are set to pull out of the sport by this season's end.

In addition, the WMSC also announced that due to a significant increase in cornering speeds in F1 this season, the sport's Technical Working Group will be consulted regarding possible measures to slow the cars down." http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/27956/

Microsoft makes ECUs???? dang that is all I need is a POP up in Heads up display.

and isn't the phrase, "FIA's radical cost-saving package" an oxymoron??
Old 07-12-2006, 12:29 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking more that the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) from Microsoft operating systems crashing will all of a sudden have a new twist to it... :-(
Old 07-12-2006, 12:31 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,388 Likes on 743 Posts

Macs lose again.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:34 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I was thinking more that the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) from Microsoft operating systems crashing will all of a sudden have a new twist to it... :-(
Yah I just found this Blue Screen and other MS jokes: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=28614

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-12-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:38 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing - a company not known for reliable software and with zero market share gets the contract - guess Bernie just wants the $$$.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:10 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Soon we will see the F-1 drivers stopping their cars to reboot the ECU before then can continue. I despise f...in Microsoft for the dismal quality of their products.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-12-2006, 03:23 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

we seem to forget how bit M$ is in the embedded and automation market . . . Granted, the PC industry is where the name is recognized best, but that doesn't mean that they do not have experience in outside markets.

Good thing that everyone who's smacking "Uncle Bill" is either running OSX, or running from their own kernel.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:02 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by emf
we seem to forget how bit M$ is in the embedded and automation market . . . Granted, the PC industry is where the name is recognized best, but that doesn't mean that they do not have experience in outside markets.
Yeah, WinCE has a wonderful reputation as compared to VxWorks or QNX or pSOS or ... MS wasn't even considered a competitor in the real IA or embedded systems environment when I was working at QNX, and I doubt they are now, really, either.

Good thing that everyone who's smacking "Uncle Bill" is either running OSX, or running from their own kernel.
Eh. I've only been an operating systems enginerd for the last 18 years, I think I get to take my swipes at M$'s crappy products when the opportunity presents itself. :-)
Old 07-12-2006, 04:26 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Microsoft??? Motorola maybe, as in a Motec unit, but Microsoft??

Proof $$$ talks!

I wonder which team will come down with a virus 1st
Old 07-12-2006, 04:33 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Microsoft??? Motorola maybe, as in a Motec unit, but Microsoft??

Proof $$$ talks!

I wonder which team will come down with a virus 1st

Ferrari - and they will send it to Renult
Old 07-12-2006, 05:09 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Yeah, WinCE has a wonderful reputation as compared to VxWorks or QNX or pSOS or ... MS wasn't even considered a competitor in the real IA or embedded systems environment when I was working at QNX, and I doubt they are now, really, either.
Thank you for reaffirming my point . . . . CE wasn't what I was thinking of, but then again CE doesn't exactly match what's in the RTOS market. Case in point, you can find a hole in every OS if you look hard enough -- CE's got some scary issues, and QNX has had it's share of 'oops' and needed fixes as well IIRC.

Eh. I've only been an operating systems enginerd for the last 18 years, I think I get to take my swipes at M$'s crappy products when the opportunity presents itself. :-)
18 years, eh? So, you'd be running . . . BSD variant?

Back on point, Microsoft's made a sting, for sure. The next few years will likely see some leaps-and-bounds improvements to Microsnot's products, but will also likely expand their footprint in other automotive markets over the long-haul. They've been struggling to get a solid foothold, but it looks like they have it now.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:14 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by emf

Back on point, Microsoft's made a sting, for sure. The next few years will likely see some leaps-and-bounds improvements to Microsnot's products, but will also likely expand their footprint in other automotive markets over the long-haul. They've been struggling to get a solid foothold, but it looks like they have it now.
and Bernie's face on the Microsoft Halogram.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:17 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by emf
18 years, eh? So, you'd be running . . . BSD variant?
Good guess. NetBSD on a sparc at home for a server, OS X on a laptop, basically forced into Linux at work right now (VMware, ESX/Server).

I have a wait and see attitude to that. They try hard but always manage to screw it up somehow, even with some seriously great engineers on staff.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:27 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

I have a wait and see attitude to that. They try hard but always manage to screw it up somehow, even with some seriously great engineers on staff.
Agreed. Historically speaking, it'd be a 60/40 proposition . . . an uphill battle for success, to say the least. The way things are changing internally, it's more likely that we'll see some well-timed acquisitions prior to any all-out failure. 12 months should set the tone.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:24 PM
rcolling
Le Mans Master

With Autoracing money always talks.

I can't wait until the drivers have to begin hitting Start to Shut the car down...
Old 07-12-2006, 07:58 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

1. Pit lane speed limiter
2. Differential +
3. Engine push
4. Gear upshift
5. Traction control +
6. Engine push setting switch
7. Clutch lever
8. Traction control
9. Team info inlap
10. Burn out
11. Multifunctional switch
12. Lambda 13. Diagnostic
14. Wing angle info switch
15. Clutch
16. Differential selective switch
17. Team radio
18. Traction control -
19. Gear downshift
20. Engine break
21. Differential -
22. Neutral
23. Display page change

So where will the CTR - ALT - DEL buttons go ??

Get notified of new replies

To Bridgestone, Microsoft Get Exclusive F1 Contracts

Quick Reply: Bridgestone, Microsoft Get Exclusive F1 Contracts