Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion DTC-70/Wilwood H

Old 07-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Opinion DTC-70/Wilwood H

Just looking to what people think about each brake pad.

I ordered both sets - long story but UPS lost my Wilwood order so I rushed to get DTC-70s Fedex to me just in case the Wilwoods did not make it in time for WGI. Now it looks like I might have a choice of which one to run and which one to either send back or use another day.

I wondering what the characteristics of both brakes are like. This is my first time running a "race" pad and it would be good to know what to expect.

thanks
Old 07-12-2006, 02:07 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel

I ordered both sets - long story but UPS lost my Wilwood order so I rushed to get DTC-70s Fedex to me just in case the Wilwoods did not make it in time for WGI. Now it looks like I might have a choice of which one to run and which one to either send back or use another day.

I wondering what the characteristics of both brakes are like. This is my first time running a "race" pad and it would be good to know what to expect.

thanks
Weasel, the DTC-70s are undoubtedly among the best race pads you can get today. Many of the T-1 racers used them exclusively. I have a set on my C5Z for track duty and they are great. Never fade, very consistent coefficient of friction, good initial bite.

Never used the Wilwoods, so I cannot comment.

MAKE SURE you have the high-temp brake fluid of your choice in your system when using high performance pads. You will generate a lot of heat which will boil the standard DOT-3 fluid.

Enjoy...

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-12-2006, 03:54 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Default Try Carbotechs instead!!!!!!

I've run them both over the past year(s). The Wilwoods will most likely fade on you after about 10 laps. I kept having to pump my brake pedal to keep it from going too long. Once I switched, I had no issue.

I tested the DTC-70s at Road Atlanta head to head against the Carbotech XP12s. The Hawks (DTC) was better than the Wilwoods to be sure, but I run Carbotechs on my car. The Carbos stop at least as well as the Hawks and the dust isn't corrosive...and I get them at about 2/3 of the price.

Bottom line - if you haven't run the Carbotech pads yet, you're missing the boat...and 'emptying' your wallet.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:12 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any chance you've compared against the Performance Friction compounds? I was very impressed with the PFC01s I ran recently... worked as well on the big heavy 'vette as the old Hawk blues worked on my 2400lb Pro7 car.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:24 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In LOVE with the Hawk DTC-70's , great initial bite, very consistant braking. I have never ran the Wilwoods, but I have tried to kill my DTC-70's on many,many occassions and have never been let down by them.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:31 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

What can happen if you run a high friction front pad and not swap the rear accordingly you will shift the brake bias even farther forward which will put even more heat in the front. I currently run Wilwood C type front and Hawk HP+ in the rear with great success. I run autoparts store 450 degree F brake fluid and no issues of brake fluid boiling and I brake hard at every corner. Only heat I ever have to worry about is the oil temp.

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I've run them both over the past year(s). The Wilwoods will most likely fade on you after about 10 laps. I kept having to pump my brake pedal to keep it from going too long. Once I switched, I had no issue.
I use Wilwood C type which are similar to H but with lower friction (not stock caliper) but have had no issue with fade the wilwoods are good to 1300 degrees. They have 3 track events on them and they work great and still alot of pad left.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:43 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel

thanks
I talked to tech at SEMA last year for almost an hour about these and have been running them since...he recommended DTC 60's for the rear.

Two advantages for me: better rotor wear(WIlwoods tend to make em go quick) and great stopping power on a linear spectrum.

DTC 70's are a great find!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:01 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Any chance you've compared against the Performance Friction compounds? I was very impressed with the PFC01s I ran recently... worked as well on the big heavy 'vette as the old Hawk blues worked on my 2400lb Pro7 car.
Yep! At Sebring early last year (and Road Atlanta)...tested several versions of the Hawk pads, the latest Carbotech XP and 2 different PFC pads. The Carbotechs and Hawks were virtually dead even in performance and lap times. But, the Hawk's dust is very corrosive and transfers too much heat from the pad to the caliper...then to the fluid. You can boil the fluid very easy with the Hawks.

Carbotechs don't have this problem. They use a ceramic compound which has less dust (and non corrosive) and the heat transfer to the fluid is much, much less.

The PFCs were just OK. A friend (racer) of mine (Phil Croyle) tried using the PFCs during the National race at Sebring in 05. He stuck with us for about 3 laps and then they faded out. The Carbotechs didn't and I walked away from him. He switched back to the Carbotechs on the next race (Moroso) and we had a great battle.

Oh, did I mention the Carbotechs are cheaper too!!!!!!!!! You just can't find a better pad for the money. Race tested baby!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Thanks Guys.

The DTC-70s came in first so we went with those. During the bedding process it was easy to see that I should go to the dentist and make sure my fillings are tight before hitting the track

I thought the Hawk HP+ were good - silly me. These can stop on a dime and give a nickel change.....

Brake Fluid - I just switched over to ATE Racing Blue. I assume that is good enough.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion DTC-70/Wilwood H

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinion DTC-70/Wilwood H