Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA - class restructuing

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 09:04 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Default SCCA - class restructuing

Recognizing the missing performance level beyond the current Touring 1, the CRB has also recommended the realignment of Touring classes, moving the current T1, T2 and T3 classes down one number designation to T2, T3 and T4. A new Touring 1 class will be introduced for vehicles with performance levels similar to the Corvette ZO6 and a large number of exotic sports cars.

“Throughout history, there has always been on performance level higher than that of the current Touring 1 category,” Julow said. “Call them supercars or exotics—they beg to be raced. In reality, when the realignment of Touring occurred a number of years ago, this probably should have been the result, with the current Touring 1 being the second performance level.

“Additionally, realigning the Touring names in this fashion gives Club Racing a logical progression for the racer who buys a car, builds it to Touring specs and then wishes to further develop it into a Prepared car. While there will always be exceptions, the intention is for a T1 car to progress into AP, T2 into BP, T3 into CP and T4 into DP.”

Like Touring, the Regional-level only Improved Touring category will have a new class to recognize cars with a performance level too high for the current classes (S, A, B and C). ITR has been added to include cars with stock horsepower levels around 200, like the 1997-1999 Porsche Boxster, 1989-1996 Nissan 300Z, Honda S2000, V6 Chevrolet Camaro and a variety of BMWs."

All of the classes are subject to Board approval at the August 2006 meeting. Each of the new classes would receive “Regional-only” status for the first year, with the possibility of being recognized as a National class in 2008 (excluding ITR), should numbers qualify it as such."

----
GCR
Item 1. In an effort to classify cars that do not fit into any of the current categories of SCCA, the CRB recommends the creation of a new
category, Prepared (working name). This category would have two classes - B and D, with room to add A and C in the future.
B Prepared will be a class for World Challenge GT-based cars.
D Prepared will be a class for World Challenge Touring-based cars.
Vehicles used in the series must be identifiable with the vehicles offered for sale to the public and available through the manufacturer's normal
distribution channels. The intent of these rules is to allow older World Challenge cars to compete in Club Racing with minimal modifications and
allow new cars to be built to the same spec, as well. No model years older than 1990 will be permitted. The B Prepared target performance is
450hp. The D Prepared target performance is 250hp.
The following lists general rules for the new category:
- Restrictors - SIRs
- Rear suspension - maximum 5-link setup
- Transmission - sequential allowed with a weight penalty
- Fuel - unleaded
- Tires - DOT
The CRB wishes to introduce this category and the two classes in 2007, with eligibility for Runoffs participation in 2008.
Item 2. In an effort to provide a class for high performance sports cars, the CRB recommends realigning the Touring class. Classes currently
called T1, T2, and T3 would drop one class to T2, T3, and T4, respectively. A new T1 class will be created to classify the cars with performance
potential higher than T2, but less than the Prepared classes.
This realignment would bring the Touring category into the same format as the new Prepared category, allowing for further modification from T2
to BP and T4 to DP, with T1 and T3 aligned with AP and CP when developed.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-09-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:35 AM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I understand the intent and I think its great that the C6Z06 finally has a place in SCCA, I still believe that SCCA has way too many classes.

Its nice that anyone can find a class to run their car in, but it seems most weekends are made up of race groups with multiple classes of 4-6 cars each. So even though there is a separate "class" for everyone, you end up on track with cars of vastly different capabilities. The only "full" classes that have their own run groups and where you can expect to compete against 15-20 cars are usually Spec Racer Ford and Spec Miata.

Its too bad....a "Spec" class of C6Z06's prepped by Pratt & Miller, Pheonix, or Lou Gigloitti would be a lot of fun!
Old 07-09-2006, 10:54 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They aught to classify them with more realistic names, six classes, i.e.

$$$$$$
$$$$$
$$$$
$$$
$$
$

Old 07-09-2006, 05:27 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Soooo, since the C6Z seems to require a class all by itself (according to SCCA-think) because of its 505HP rating, why should the Viper be allowed to remain the only 500HP car among the 400HP T-1 cars?

Could it be because Chrysler is a "sponsor" of SCCA and thus deserving of a sweetheart deal?

Doesn't it make a lot more sense to put the Viper into the "new T-1" along with other 500HP cars? It has been proven beyond any doubt thast the Viper is a definite "overdog" in the current 400HP T-1 class.
Heinricy won the Runoffs last year because Scotty B blew up under pressure, not because the C5Z is faster then the Viper. Look at the T-1 results so far this year: All Viper.

Damn politics!!! If SCCA were only a little more subtle, their bias would appear be so blatant.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-09-2006, 05:34 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Viper Comp Coupe and the new P 997 will be in the new T1
Old 07-09-2006, 06:38 PM
seege
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Viper Comp Coupe and the new P 997 will be in the new T1
I assume you mean the 997 Cup Car? I doubt you'll see many(if any) 997 Cups racing in SCCA T1 next year, since they're still in demand for IMSA for at least 2 more years. Then the PCA, POC and the various other P-car club racers will most likely absorb most of those cars. Are they going to allow 996 cups to run in T1 as well as GT2? How about Ford GT's? It might be fun to watch(new T1) but I doubt they will really do it. and if they do then I have to wonder how many Z06s will get built. I suspect the answer is only a handfull of them initially(Phoenix for sure!) because of costs - approximately the same as the Viper. For that budget, you know you will have a shot at the front in current T1 - versus developing a car for a future T1 class that will be underpopulated while the SCCA may not allow it to stay competitive. So, it seems to me that the Comp Coupe will be the baseline car for the new class - as the Viper is now for T1. I wonder what Dodge will be pushing for the new T3? Do they sell that Magnum wagon as a stick?

Regardless of what shows up to run the new T1 class (or "Supertouring" which I like) it won't add up to enough cars to offset the Corvette exodus that is going to happen soon due to the current state of things in T1. It's too bad really, but it does say in the rules that there are no guarantees any car will remain competitive(paraphrase).
Old 07-10-2006, 05:52 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is much needed... Anyone can see that the new 2003-2006 Vipers are walking all over the T1 C5 Vettes.

It'll be interesting to see how well the C6Z06 does against the vipers... Should even the playing field for sure... And I bet a bunch of guys will be buying recked C6s and converting the to Z06 specs to save a few $$$!

Mike
Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by seege
I assume you mean the 997 Cup Car? I doubt you'll see many(if any) 997 Cups racing in SCCA T1 next year, since they're still in demand for IMSA for at least 2 more years.
Propsed Rule changes ( too my understanding) still need to be approved at the Next BOD meeting in Aug ) Then these changes would be on the regional level for 2007 and national level for 2008.

I think I saw it was all 997s not just the cup car. Yes the Ford GT 40 would fit into this class too.

too many rules, too much : & to make anyone and

No wonder NASA and Grand Am Cup racing is growning soo fast.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:05 AM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Soooo, since the C6Z seems to require a class all by itself (according to SCCA-think) because of its 505HP rating, why should the Viper be allowed to remain the only 500HP car among the 400HP T-1 cars?

Could it be because Chrysler is a "sponsor" of SCCA and thus deserving of a sweetheart deal?

Doesn't it make a lot more sense to put the Viper into the "new T-1" along with other 500HP cars? It has been proven beyond any doubt thast the Viper is a definite "overdog" in the current 400HP T-1 class.
Heinricy won the Runoffs last year because Scotty B blew up under pressure, not because the C5Z is faster then the Viper. Look at the T-1 results so far this year: All Viper.

Damn politics!!! If SCCA were only a little more subtle, their bias would appear be so blatant.

Frank Gonzalez

Did you make it to Ripken Stadium for the PCA sanctioned Autocross on Sunday?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:26 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Stewart20
Did you make it to Ripken Stadium for the PCA sanctioned Autocross on Sunday?
No, I was helping run the Giants Despair Hill Climb near Wilkes Barre.

I try not to go to Porsche autocrosses in order not to embarrass them with my SS C5Z performance. They typically have just locals with unprepared cars at these events.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-10-2006, 08:49 AM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
No, I was helping run the Giants Despair Hill Climb near Wilkes Barre.

I try not to go to Porsche autocrosses in order not to embarrass them with my SS C5Z performance. They typically have just locals with unprepared cars at these events.

Frank Gonzalez

All I asked was a simple question and you respond with your typical smart *** comments.

Keep dreamin dude
Old 07-10-2006, 10:13 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Stewart20
All I asked was a simple question and you respond with your typical smart *** comments.

Keep dreamin dude
Didn't mean to upset you or be a smart ***. I think it's unfair to come to an event where people are running stock cars on street tires when I am running Hoosier A6s and a car with all the mods allowed under SCCA Super Stock rules.

FWIW, I have had my *** soundly kicked by Ian Stewart in a well-prepped GT-3. No offense taken because of that. I was the first guy to shake his hand and congratulate him on an awesome drive.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 07-10-2006, 08:12 PM
prodman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
This is much needed... Anyone can see that the new 2003-2006 Vipers are walking all over the T1 C5 Vettes.

It'll be interesting to see how well the C6Z06 does against the vipers... Should even the playing field for sure... And I bet a bunch of guys will be buying recked C6s and converting the to Z06 specs to save a few $$$!

Mike
This will also probably open the way for a lot of those Ferrari Challenge cars that are sitting in various dealers without enough events to make them a worthwhile purchase.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SCCA

Bastards
Old 07-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I don't know you Stewart20, but I see you have a new Cayman. They're not many running around the tracks much yet out west. How do you like it?

I have seen a couple on the tracks and they seem to hold their own quite well and are laying down some decent track times, although I have not yet seen anyone really screaming around the track.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:30 PM
seege
Intermediate

Originally Posted by prodman
This will also probably open the way for a lot of those Ferrari Challenge cars that are sitting in various dealers without enough events to make them a worthwhile purchase.
The 360 CS cars are already legal for T1 and have been for some time. There are at least 2 running this year.. and running pretty fast as well.
I wonder how often they have to get the "service" that includes removing the engine to change the timing belt and is rumored to cost $10K.

Last edited by seege; 07-11-2006 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:07 AM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Olitho
I don't know you Stewart20, but I see you have a new Cayman. They're not many running around the tracks much yet out west. How do you like it?

I have seen a couple on the tracks and they seem to hold their own quite well and are laying down some decent track times, although I have not yet seen anyone really screaming around the track.

Olitho - I absolutely love the car. The handling is simply phenominal. I will be doing a couple track events later this summer. All I have to go on so far is what others have done. Where it loses time is on long straights with just 300hp. I have talked to a couple Viper guys that have been on the track with the the CS and they indicate the car is strong and gains on them in the turns but the gap widens on the straights. I know a few tuners are tooling around with a supercharger and/or a turbo to get the HP to 380-400. I hope so because I certainly don't want to dump $25-30K for an RUF X51 switchout for a 3.8 litre. I think 380-400HP in that mid engined car would be pretty darn fast.....not Z06 fast but fast none the less.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA - class restructuing

Quick Reply: SCCA - class restructuing