Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have some harness questions.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:52 PM
DRKCYDE
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VII & IX Veteran

Default Have some harness questions.

I have just picked up the Brey-Krause harness bar, and was wondering what harnesses to go with?
They need to be wrap around, and not the bolt in type.
I was also hoping that the lap belts would have clips so they could be taken out when not at the track.
Was thinking about going with the cam lock for the drivers, and might get a matching latch/link for the passenger, and would like blue or black, if possible. Was thinking 6 point, because the 5 seems hard to mount in the C5 unless you have racing buckets.

Edit...
They are mostly for road racing and autocrossing, and was wondering about the explanation found on the Jegs site about "pull-up" or "pull-down" harnesses.

" ''Pull-Up Lap Belt Adjusters'' & ''Pull-Down Lap Belt Adjusters'' indicates the direction that tightens the Lap belt adjuster's. For example, a ''Pull-Up Lap Belt Adjuster'' is always the best choice in a Dragster. It is much easier, and safer, to tighten your belts in an upward motion (towards the CamLock latch) rather than a downward motion (away from the CamLock latch) because of the limited cockpit room. "

Doesn't this seem to contradict? Pull upward...towards the cam lock. Wouldn't up be away from the cam lock, and down be towards the cam lock?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by DRKCYDE; 07-07-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes you need the 6-point belt.

The lap belts should have the clip on ends attachments.

and the Lap Belts should be the PULL UP type.

I have the PULL DOWN lap belts and some times they are a pain to tighten. do to a race seat and limited room in the race seat.
Once you get your lap belts adjusted you dont loosen or tighten them very much.

Get the cam lock belts not the latch and lock belts.

Many good brands, dont buy used.

Good Luck
Old 07-08-2006, 07:30 AM
jlucas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That BK setup is the same setup I started with, now I added a Recaro seat that uses a different lap/sub belts hook ups. I prefer Schroth belts myself, that's why I stated carrying them. They don't slip like others. The camlock unit and surrounding buckle clips are the smallest I've ever seen which translates to it being more comfortable out on track.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:17 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for the cam locks. Personally, I like the TeamTech harnesses - love my Ram-Pac, and you can get it in almost any color combination you want.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:43 PM
rhneff
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by jlucas
That BK setup is the same setup I started with, now I added a Recaro seat that uses a different lap/sub belts hook ups. I prefer Schroth belts myself, that's why I stated carrying them. They don't slip like others. The camlock unit and surrounding buckle clips are the smallest I've ever seen which translates to it being more comfortable out on track.
Another vote for the Schroth harness. Good quality materials, easy to snap in/out for a street-driven car, and easily adjustable. Also, for autocross use, the Schroth cam-lock is a much better design than most others I've seen/used - the release is contained within the perimeter of the lock itself and prevents inadvertent release when things get really busy on course.

For the C5 with stock seats the 6-point is almost mandatory, the 5-point is not stable enough and without a slot in the seat to feed the crotch strap through will not work well at all. And for a street car with stock seats I prefer the pull-down adjusters rather than pull-up, because that lets me tuck the belt ends down around the bottom of the seat and keep them out of my lap - again, for autocross use rather than track, do the belt ends aren't a distraction during rapid and severe transitions.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:44 PM
DRKCYDE
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VII & IX Veteran

Thanks to Paul, (01Pewter), I ended up going with these.

http://www.crowenterprizes.com/shop_...asp?sku=1114-C

Thanks, guys. Can't wait to race the car with them.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I have the G-force 5pt latch-link harnesses and after one event I will be switching to 6pt. I don't see the great advantage to the cam lock. Yeah, it's a little easier, but after just one day of getting in and out of a two driver car buckleing in and out doesn't seem to be that hard to me. Get the Brey-Kraus lap belt mounts and clips so you can take the laps belts out when you're not using them.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:52 AM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex,

I have the BK bar as well as the seatbelt kit and really like it. I bought 6-point G-FORCE camlock harnesses and like them pretty well too. Mine are the pull down type, and for the lap belt, it's kinda tight to be able to pull down. If you can get a combination of pull down for the shoulders and pull up for the lap, it would be great.

The G-FORCE harnesses came with the bolt connectors, and I had to purchase the latch connectors separately.

Installation was pretty simple, though you do need to make some cuts in the covers of the seat belt retractors.

- Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Have some harness questions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have some harness questions.