Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearing

Old 07-03-2006, 07:07 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Wheel Bearing

What other wheel bearings are avaible besides the GM, Federated Mogal, and Timken?

Wondering about a high performacne racing wheel bearing. Light weight low rolling risistance, high heat tolleracne Bearing.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:38 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RBL has some $800 factory second Renault hubs from his SRF.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:54 PM
NewC6Toy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you actually just want OEM style bearings for the stock location? Or are interested in fixing the problem. There is kit for the Viper that uses a bearing setup that spreads the forces out better for less overall stress on the bearings. The kit uses mostly GM parts, so it should be adaptable for the 'vette. Obviously not the solution if you run in stock class that regulates hubs, bearings, etc.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:57 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

At a little over 30k I have had to replace the left rear. GM wanted 325 for it. I paid it. That way I know to whom I may fuss if it goes belly up. The original bearing wasn't all that bad, it just didn't like spinning out and hitting that chuck hole on the leading edge of the curb perpendicularly...... (which threw the vette back around the other way 360 degrees with a dead stop in the middle of the track at the Nashville speedway roadcourse)....really can't blame the bearing...I just need to polish up on my roadcoarse technique...Of course, there is the question of why the owners of the track can't get motivated to fix the chuck hole.....aaarrgghhhh......
Old 07-04-2006, 08:36 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The timkens lasted me near 60,000 and I paid 120 each to replace them why bother with anything else? Rolling resistance get a cam . GM has HPO ones but nobody could tell me the difference in them. The WC guys get them only. Probably just tighter tolerances picked off the assembly line. In any case some people dump them every other race for new. Not worth the money or effort to replace or adapt anything else JMHO.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:46 AM
jlucas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was more of a concern about the hub cracking than bearing life. Do you guys find it to be different?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:05 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Just as an FYI if you look at the CTS-V they use a 6 lug hub.

The reason was, from the supplier supplying the part, was that in early developement the C5 hub would not hold up to their weekend 'club racing' duty cycle. The V was intended to be kind of like Porsche, a dealership purchased club racer.

Originally the C5 setup was to be used but they ran into durability issues and hence the odd man out 6 lug hub and better bearing.

I'm hoping mine last me, I've heard quotes on here as little as 5-6 hard track days with slicks. I don't run slicks so hopefully I still have a year or two left.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by NewC6Toy
Do you actually just want OEM style bearings for the stock location? Or are interested in fixing the problem. There is kit for the Viper that uses a bearing setup that spreads the forces out better for less overall stress on the bearings. The kit uses mostly GM parts, so it should be adaptable for the 'vette. Obviously not the solution if you run in stock class that regulates hubs, bearings, etc.
This may be an option.

The Timken bearings are fine and easy to replace. Looking at OTHER possibilties.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
Just as an FYI if you look at the CTS-V they use a 6 lug hub.

The reason was, from the supplier supplying the part, was that in early developement the C5 hub would not hold up to their weekend 'club racing' duty cycle. The V was intended to be kind of like Porsche, a dealership purchased club racer.

Originally the C5 setup was to be used but they ran into durability issues and hence the odd man out 6 lug hub and better bearing.

I'm hoping mine last me, I've heard quotes on here as little as 5-6 hard track days with slicks. I don't run slicks so hopefully I still have a year or two left.

CTS is heavier also. Mine lasted a long time like near 60,000 with many hard track days and slicks.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Bearing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing