Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't turn active handling off!!!??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 01:07 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Can't turn active handling off!!!??

Blew engine on track C5 and grabbed new C6 Z-51 to finish out the track day. I've replaced the street tires/wheels with some Pilot Sports on 19" all the way around and haven't installed sensors yet. Turned off AH and TC and AH turned on in middle of fast corners!! Couldn't do a thing. I read the "book" and it sez that disengaging AH doesn't work if the sensors are not working. What gives?? This car will be my throw down track car some times and I'd like to get some race/wheels ready to go but I sure don't want to worry about sensors and active handling! What can i do about this? My mechanic sez tech 2 it and just turn it off?
Old 07-03-2006, 02:25 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

TEch 2 will work, I did it to my traction control, and also F45 $hit.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:59 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 97coupechuck
Blew engine on track C5 and grabbed new C6 Z-51 to finish out the track day. I've replaced the street tires/wheels with some Pilot Sports on 19" all the way around and haven't installed sensors yet. Turned off AH and TC and AH turned on in middle of fast corners!! Couldn't do a thing. I read the "book" and it sez that disengaging AH doesn't work if the sensors are not working. What gives?? This car will be my throw down track car some times and I'd like to get some race/wheels ready to go but I sure don't want to worry about sensors and active handling! What can i do about this? My mechanic sez tech 2 it and just turn it off?

That is correct. The C6 AH/TC systems are quite different then the C5s. If the Wheel sensors are not in the normal place( on the wheels currently used) May come on in extreem cases of excess yaw.

Currently this can not be programed out. What some ppl do is take there normal street wheels to the track with them and between sessions just park near these wheels, that seems to help.

Other smooth driving without and sliding or Trail braking will help.

Many ppl say this never happens to them, but we also know these guys are very fast and very smooth drivers.

At a recent event we had 24 Chevy and Solstes Engineers and they noticed that the Comp Mode algarythum was too sensitive and they were going to work on recalibrating. We also brought up the though of completely turing the AH / TC off so one could use wheels without sensors. Thei first comment was, "why would you want to do that?" We mentioned to change wheels quicly, as in a race situation and not have to go though 'reprograming' each wheel. i.e. slap on a new wheel and go. They said they never though about that. Gov regs require all wheels have sensors for air pressure AH & TC for 2010 or sooner. ( something like that) So they will look into options.

We also suggested to make it a universal addapter or frequency to accept any wheel with in 6" of the sensor. Some one asked what does the Corvette racing do as all their wheels have sensors too.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:26 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Well thanks guys, I think. 2 responses with 2 diff answers! So for now I'll install sensors on the streets and that should stop the immediate problem. Absolutely no choice here, when I was at Texas World Speedway I was pushing this poor stock Z-51 to it's very limits chasing a race prepped car when this AH turned on in middle of FAST turn and almost stopped me, certainly slowed me down enough to be a real safety problem as there was a car right behind me! I'll try to tech 2 it away and see what happens, This certainly won't be the last I'll be digging around for a permanant solution. Appreciate all help guys, thanks. Chuck
Old 07-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Hey all,

Just posted a similiar question in relation to brakes. My experience is that the AH 'off' mode sucks. It is more intrusive than 'Comp' mode. I have only tracked my C6 as a backup car with the stock wheels and EMT tires on it. At speed you easily get enought yaw to freak out the system. Comp mode lets you hang it out a bit more, but still uses the brakes when you would rather not have them on.

I would think the right option is to have someone flash the control module with the AH disabled. Can anyone else shed some light into this discussion.

-Aaron
Old 07-06-2006, 11:21 PM
97coupechuck
Pro

Anybody shed light on this? This is weird, we order, pay for, get the Z-51 and this is where we wind up? A car that you cannot turn AH off?? I've gone thru so much computer problems making my C5 a race car and thought I could get a stocker and just run it when I needed a car. where's that Tech 2 machine.....
Old 07-07-2006, 12:49 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97coupechuck
Anybody shed light on this? This is weird, we order, pay for, get the Z-51 and this is where we wind up? A car that you cannot turn AH off?? I've gone thru so much computer problems making my C5 a race car and thought I could get a stocker and just run it when I needed a car. where's that Tech 2 machine.....
What AU N EGL said is correct and thanks to him for mentioning these issues to the engineers. The AHTC cannot be tuned out through the tech 2.
Your best bet is to get sensors in your track wheels and program them to the car for track days. My local discount tire reprograms them for me for free when I change back and forth from my street wheels to track wheels at no charge. Or you can buy your own TPS programmer for around $300 and do it at your convenience. It is real easy with the proper tool, takes less than 2 minutes. If you have sensors in your wheels that are programmed to the car you can turn AH an TC completely off by holding button down not pressing it, but holding it down for more than 5 seconds and it will not interfere at all! Hangin' it out around turns or doughnuts or whatever it will not interfere when completely off and when there are sensors in your wheels that are programmed to the car.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:39 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

This is the one thing that I'm getting afraid of with electronic nannies; they are fine as long as you can turn them off! I see a lot of cars these days (Lexus) where you can't defeat the active handling, traction control or both. If I have a choice, I'll never buy a car where you can't defeat the electronic control systems.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

More and more sports cars and race cars are comming with Active Handling / Traction Control and ABS brakes. Race car drivers are getting faster and faster WITH AH / TC turned ON. Smooth / fast driving gets lower and lower lap times. The days of trail brakeing and sliding though corners, using the cars muscle, or driver skill to get out of semi dangorsious situations are about to be history.
AH & TC are here to stay, get use to driving a bit differtnly and you might be suprised that you are actully going faster, safer and smoother.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I can say I like AH and it has helped me in different situations, but I would go nuts if I could not turn off TC especially when running sticky tires.

Luckily the C5 gives you the option.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:45 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
I can say I like AH and it has helped me in different situations, but I would go nuts if I could not turn off TC especially when running sticky tires.

Luckily the C5 gives you the option.

The C6 gives you that option too, reading is fundamental.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:09 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
More and more sports cars and race cars are comming with Active Handling / Traction Control and ABS brakes. Race car drivers are getting faster and faster WITH AH / TC turned ON. Smooth / fast driving gets lower and lower lap times. The days of trail brakeing and sliding though corners, using the cars muscle, or driver skill to get out of semi dangorsious situations are about to be history.
AH & TC are here to stay, get use to driving a bit differtnly and you might be suprised that you are actully going faster, safer and smoother.
As a result of this, I think that you'll see a lot more cars being produced that go back to the basics.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:48 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by C6400hp
.....Or you can buy your own TPS programmer for around $300 and do it at your convenience. It is real easy with the proper tool, takes less than 2 minutes. .....
I've still got a couple of these Kent-Moore tools for $160 + $10 shipping if you need one:

Tire Sensor and TPM Tool Thread

The 2nd post in the thread shows the TPM Tool with some pictures of the screen display and the sensor ID# and tire pressure from my C6 tires.

With sensors in your track tires, you can swap wheels and use the TPM Tool to re-register your sensors in about 75 seconds. It takes me about 15 seconds to put the TPMS computer in "learn" mode, and 10 or 15 seconds at each tire to completely re-register my sensors when I swap wheels.

You really should have sensors in the tires if they are runflats. With the stiff sidewall, you just don't notice a slow leak like you do with a normal tire. With runflats, you don't notice the sloppy handling you get with a non-runflat when the tire goes soft. With runflats, you don't notice a problem as easily going straight, and then you really lose it in a turn at speed.

I don't know why the General didn't build in some capability either into the DIC or the Fob to excite the sensors to re-register them when you swap wheels/tires. Anyway, if you need a tool the Kent-Moore TPM Toll is fully capable of doing everything you need to do with your sensors and Tire Pressure Monitor System.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 07-07-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:18 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by xsiveone
As a result of this, I think that you'll see a lot more cars being produced that go back to the basics.
X I sure hope so.

Let the driver be the brain, not the computer.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:12 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by xsiveone

X I sure hope so. Let the driver be the brain, not the computer.

Butt....Golden Eagle, as you said in a previous post:

Gov regs require all wheels have sensors for air pressure AH & TC for 2010 or sooner. ( something like that)
Unfortunately, this is one nanny that we're probably not going to be able to disable. After a bunch of stupid Explorer drivers flipped their vehicles all over the highways of the country a few years ago due to never checking their tire pressure, the answer was that Congress legislated Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems on new cars. As you mentioned, one of the provisions of the law is that it can't be disabled.

As you said above, it's actually "sooner"! The law said that something like 20% of all new vehicles in the 2005 model year had to have the TPMS, followed by increasing percentages of each manufacturers output, until 100% of model year 2008 (vehicles made after Sept. '07) have to have such a system.

So, it looks like tire sensors and Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems are with us to stay. They'll probably get better as time goes by - for instance the batteries in our sensors have a design life of 10 years, but they are talking about sensors that don't require batteries within 3 to 5 years from now.

At any rate, I like having my TPM Tool to check my sensors and re-register them with the TPMS Computer when I swap wheels.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Can't turn active handling off!!!??

Quick Reply: Can't turn active handling off!!!??