Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 5 point harness mounting point

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C5 5 point harness mounting point

I bought a gforce 5 point harness. Where does the center (between the legs) strap bolt to? Do you have to drill a hole in the floor? Seems to me there would be no support there in any case. Would this matter since this belt only keeps the harnesses in position and will not take any load when a crash occurs? Also is it possible to run with only 4 points connected?
Old 07-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Rogue Leader
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Timz06
I bought a gforce 5 point harness. Where does the center (between the legs) strap bolt to? Do you have to drill a hole in the floor? Seems to me there would be no support there in any case. Would this matter since this belt only keeps the harnesses in position and will not take any load when a crash occurs? Also is it possible to run with only 4 points connected?
While I dont know where to mount that part, the reason for that strap is to keep you from submarining below the belts in a crashor having them rip into your ribs. It does take a load
Old 07-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Yep was reading that it is necessary to keep the belts down on the pelvis rather than the abdomen.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:57 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give us a little more info Tim.
Stock seat? Racing seat? What type of harness bar? Rollbar?
Old 07-01-2006, 12:01 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Tim

YOu want the sub belt to come up between the seat bottom and seat back. May need to put a steel brace between the rear seat floor monting bolts to anchor that sub belt

May also want to consider a base ball cup to protect those jewls from
Old 07-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Thanks guys. I bought it for my camaro which will have race seat. I had thought it would be easy to install, and I could use it with my stock z06 seats mon and tues at vir, but will not do, as this obviously will take more work and research!
Old 07-01-2006, 01:17 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using the RD Racing harness bar. Using the drivers seat for example. The camlock belt connects to the factory seat with the stock belt release portion. The left side is connected to a support bar that comes with the harness bar. That bar is connected to the seat frame. Also in the package from RD is a front bar that mounts in the 2 holes in the seat frame. You wrap the substrap around that and pull it up. It will scrunch the hell out of the front of your stock seat and not come in tight against your crotch like it should. But it does hold the harness down on your pelvis and not let it ride up.

I went to a 6-point jump style sub strap. It is mounted on the left in the same place but on the right on the seat frame mount. Now you sit on it jump style. It fits really tight. And as Tom says. A cup might be a good investment...

With the BK harness bar they sell their mount kit that install on the left by the seat belt retractor. On the right against your factory seat belt mount. Each mount has 2 holes. So you have the connection for the belts around your hips and the 6-point mount. Then the uppper belts around the harness bar.

Take a look at the setup that Jody, Bill, and myself have while we're up there at VIR Mon/Tue. Then you can see exactly how we have them installed. I just put a Corbeau FX1 Pro on the drivers side and am using a 5-point with the sub strap mounted to the Corbeau seat frame. I can still use the 6-point substrap if I want.

Graham
Old 07-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Any pics would be great. I'm about to start drilling holes.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Armycop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hold on, I'll go take some of my setup!

This is my RD hardbar setup with Brey-Krause mounting points. You'll notice each BK mount has provisions for two snap-hooks; I changed out the bolt on belt brackets with snap hook brackets.

The sub belt snaps on at the inside bracket; I then sit on the sub belt. That's the way it's supposed to work. Holds me in nice and snug. I sing alto now too!

That's one way to do it.

Last edited by Armycop; 07-06-2006 at 11:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 5 point harness mounting point

Quick Reply: C5 5 point harness mounting point