Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to mount AMB transponder in C5?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 06:13 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Where to mount AMB transponder in C5?

Where does everyone mount their AMB?

I am having trouble finding a good spot.

Thanks,

J.R.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:29 PM
nassaufrc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mine mounted on the inside of the square tubing just below the radiator. It is mounted with zip ties through the holes on the AMB. I have it mounted high enough that it would take major damage to hit it.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:34 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J.R.
Where does everyone mount their AMB?

I am having trouble finding a good spot.

Thanks,

J.R.

I taped a borrowed one on the passenger side air inlet for the radiator and ran the wires up to the fusebox. Worked great.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

If it's for time trials, just drop it in the cavern in the trunk, it works fine there.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:18 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For racing, as far forward as possible -- if you can mount it in the front fascia at the forward-most point of the nose . . . do it.

If it's for TT'g or DE events, then the center or side pockets in the trunk.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:23 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been putting mine on the licence plate with a zip tie and recharge buttons out and then keeping it from flapping with blue painter's tape, also just happens to cover up plate on track. The Zip goes around the plastic licence plate frame.

I have also had good luck with it ziped to the vents behind the muffler on the C5 and haven't noticed that it gets much heat at the outside edge. Also keep it from flapping with painter's tape both on the painted surface before using zip and then a couple pieces to keep it from flapping. Rechargeable unit, not hard wired.

Biggest issue is remembering to remove it.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:48 AM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

My mounting bracket is inside one of my rear storage compartments. Keeps it low, with no obstructions to the ground.

Sorry, but I don't understand the "as far forward as possible" approach. I guess I'm off base here, but when it's in front, you do trip the wire sooner, but you are moving slower at that point. And when you make that final burst for the finish, you are still accelerating for the length of the car. Personally, don't care - in it for fun, but seems like it could make a hundredths of a second difference.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TooManyIDs
My mounting bracket is inside one of my rear storage compartments. Keeps it low, with no obstructions to the ground.

Sorry, but I don't understand the "as far forward as possible" approach. I guess I'm off base here, but when it's in front, you do trip the wire sooner, but you are moving slower at that point. And when you make that final burst for the finish, you are still accelerating for the length of the car. Personally, don't care - in it for fun, but seems like it could make a hundredths of a second difference.
If you're racing, I think T&S sees the first transponder across the finish line wins as the winner, ergo, as far forward forward as possible is where you want it. Kinda like when a sprinter throws his chest out at the finish line of the 100m. sprint.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:03 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Falcon
If you're racing, I think T&S sees the first transponder across the finish line wins as the winner, ergo, as far forward forward as possible is where you want it. Kinda like when a sprinter throws his chest out at the finish line of the 100m. sprint.
Understood, but which position nets the lower time?
Old 07-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

I don't know.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:30 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Get yourself a fish'n pole and hang that thing 10 feet out front of the car.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:55 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Transponder location

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I like the fishing pole one the best but in reality I have some different positions to look at. Since the C5 is basically an HPDE and TT event car then the trunk location is probably the easiest. I did not realize the sensors would pick up transponder which could not see the pavement.

I know on my race car I lost an event that I was 1st across the line because on my original AMB location. Now a special bracket up front (or a short fishing pole).

J.R.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by J.R.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I like the fishing pole one the best but in reality I have some different positions to look at. Since the C5 is basically an HPDE and TT event car then the trunk location is probably the easiest. I did not realize the sensors would pick up transponder which could not see the pavement.

I know on my race car I lost an event that I was 1st across the line because on my original AMB location. Now a special bracket up front (or a short fishing pole).

J.R.
I use mine for TT also, and I just set it, with the bottom pointing towards the track, in the middle cavity in the trunk. I put the carpet over it so it stays in place.

Since the floor bottom of that cavity is some kind of composite, the signal goes right through it. If it were metal, it probably wouldn't work.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:30 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, neither. A car has to cross the scoring loop twice to record a time. The front end of the car isn't travelling any faster than the rear end (or vice versa). Theoretically, if you passed the scoring loop with the transponder on the rear of the car and then relocated the transponder to the front of the car during the lap, it would record a slightly quicker time when you crossed the scoring loop again.

As long as the transponder stays in the same place, the times will be the same.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:53 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

you guys useing http://www.mylaps.com ??
Old 07-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

neither yields a quicker time. a lap is a lap
Old 07-05-2006, 09:42 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In a race, it has nothing to do with laptimes. Has everything to do with who crosses the finish line first (or, in this case . . . who's transponder crosses first)

Qualifying, different story . . . . doesn't matter where the transponder is, since the laptimes are actually what counts.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to mount AMB transponder in C5?

Quick Reply: Where to mount AMB transponder in C5?