Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I powdercoated my calipers...and didn't mean to

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 09:36 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default I powdercoated my calipers...and didn't mean to

This is wild and I can't figure part of it out.

I ran Wildwood H's at my track day last week and really liked them. I got them pretty smoking hot just when the leaf spring broke and I did try to cool them down as much as possible but it wasn't safe cruising around on the broken spring.

Today the car is home and on the trailer. I'm changing the spring on there and was checkng out the front calipers, they were pitch black and the Corvette was incredibly bright white.

I have the red Z06 calipers. The brake dust baked itself in a perfect layer onto the calipers and now they are black.

That part doesn't suprise me...what suprises me is the Corvette wording, it is spotless and super bright white, not a hint of brake dust and much cleaner than it was before.

You figure it would have blackened the whole caliper and not made part of it brighter.

Its there to stay too, I shot it down with brake clean and it didn't even phase it.

Eitherway sounds like I'm in for new calipers after this but the calipers look pretty wild, not a single bit of red left and the black is baked on hard.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:44 PM
1070ryan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
That part doesn't suprise me...what suprises me is the Corvette wording, it is spotless and super bright white, not a hint of brake dust and much cleaner than it was before.

You figure it would have blackened the whole caliper and not made part of it brighter.
I Dont understand this part... Do you mean that the word CORVETTE on the caliper Turned White?? Can you take a picture???? My only guess would be that since they are not red, but white, that possible the paint was different... Thats my guess.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:02 PM
JimBacus
Got LAPS?
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

I have seen a forum member do this to his back brakes after leaving AH on and tracking it hard... turned red calipers black and welded the pistons in place.

Old 07-03-2006, 05:52 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Thankfully mine still rolls

I took a pic, you can see some of the red near the edges but the parts that are black are black and it doesn't come off like its from brake dust. I even gave it a shower with brake clean, nothing.

Here is the pic, the flash made it look a bit more gray but it really is pitch black.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-03-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Gatorac
Pro

H pads are awesome. But they will cook everything. Check your rotors good after each sesion.

A little 1000 grit sand paper on the "Corvette" will polish it up good.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:41 PM
1070ryan
Advanced

Haha! Well, sorry dude, but I think that pretty awsome anyway. Well, I hope you like the way they look. I think you should just paint the calipers all black for now... Then see what happens next!
Old 07-11-2006, 06:31 AM
pieces_r6
Advanced

The explanation is pretty simple: the oem powder coating has been cooked. So the red turned black (it doesn't like much heat either...).
Old 07-11-2006, 06:50 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

I do not believe the OEM calipers are powdercoated, they are some kind of rubberized coating but the same thing I guess could happen.

Get notified of new replies

To I powdercoated my calipers...and didn't mean to

Quick Reply: I powdercoated my calipers...and didn't mean to