Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forced induction for autocrossing????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Forced induction for autocrossing????????

I'm currently only putting down abot 400 or so at the wheels and I could make good use of a few extra ponies. My set up is the Cartech stage II. And I like it a lot.

Been toying with the idea of a maggie or possibly a twin turbo set up. Cost IS important.

I've had two supercharged C4s in the past, both ran the 600b ATI blower systems. And both of them SUCKED. Could never meter the air / fuel correctly and what was supposed to be a bolt on kit turned into a living nightmare.

I often see water tempts go to 235 or so after a hard run. Will this # go up significantly? I do drive the car all the time so reliability is also important. Any of you guys run an ls-1 with a maggie on it? How about a pair of small turbos?
Old 06-29-2006, 02:09 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Don't have direct experience, but friends autocrossing with turbos seem to have more heat-related problems than those with belt-driven superchargers.

HP generates heat; push the hp up, heat loads go up as well. Additionally, FI puts more heat into the engine due to the intake compression. Intercooling helps, but does not cure this.

Then there's the lag. Turbos are synonymous with lag, but I bet that belt-driven units deal with it as well. Probably could be managed with different driving techniques.

If I was going to go FI, I'd definitely go with a supercharger, intercooler, and beefed up engine and oil coolers.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I would stay away from TT because they run hotter and it is harder to control when you are going to have that extra power.

Depending on how much rwhp you are looking for you can easily stay N/A. I have almost 460 rwhp N/A and I know I could get more if I went to a FAST 90/90 setup and no cats, but I am happy with my current setup.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:30 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Then there's the lag. Turbos are synonymous with lag, but I bet that belt-driven units deal with it as well. Probably could be managed with different driving techniques.
I have heard with the STS the spooling is not that bad.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:32 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

True, factory designed systems probably do the best at minimizing turbo lag, but aftermarket?????
Old 06-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Lag could hurt. Like a LOT. I need that instant wham type power to kick the ars end around.
My 600b set ups didn't have lag. They didn't have as much power (obviously) down low but they stuill had enough for manuvering and such.

What's the cheapest blower I can find for my C5?
Old 06-29-2006, 02:52 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Red5
What's the cheapest blower I can find for my C5?
No offense, but the vision that question creates is frightening!

It's got to be the whole package: hardware, intercooler, beefed up engine cooling, and tuning.

I could maybe see a package where you DIY on the install and have a shop do the tuning for you. I don't see you spending less than $5-7K for the package, at least not for anything that would be satisfactory.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
No offense, but the vision that question creates is frightening!

It's got to be the whole package: hardware, intercooler, beefed up engine cooling, and tuning.

I could maybe see a package where you DIY on the install and have a shop do the tuning for you. I don't see you spending less than $5-7K for the package, at least not for anything that would be satisfactory.

Have a good one,
Mike

At that price the whole thing becomes very un appealing.

So what can i do for about a 100 HP gain over the Cartech stage II motor?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:59 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of rear wheel does your car currently make. That was an old Cartek set-up too , I am sure. Current cylinder heads and camshafts should be able to create alot more power than you have..............
Old 06-29-2006, 09:27 PM
forhamilton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, motors that are designed naturally aspirated cannot handle forced induction (of any type) for long periods at WOT. In other words, if you plan on drag racing and/or racing in some form that requires only short bursts I think most motors can handle moderate boost.

At the first track event I did months ago, an Acura NSX with a supercharger blew the motor. These engines are known for their awesome reliability and generally run for many, many miles trouble free.

If you are autocrossing, I think you should stay natural.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
What kind of rear wheel does your car currently make. That was an old Cartek set-up too , I am sure. Current cylinder heads and camshafts should be able to create alot more power than you have..............

Danny,

Last ttime at the dyno I put down about 395 rwhp... I really need at least 100 more. And would like about 400 more.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:34 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Danny,

Last ttime at the dyno I put down about 395 rwhp... I really need at least 100 more. And would like about 400 more.
SM2 cars should make more power than ASP cars, My particular ASP car makes 15 or so more RWHP than your SM2 car............No wonder you have such a hard time cathcing the ASP cars.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Red5
Safety Car

SM2 cars should make more power than ASP cars, My particular ASP car makes 15 or so more RWHP than your SM2 car............No wonder you have such a hard time cathcing the ASP cars.

Are we just now figuring this out???? Like I said... I NEED MORE HP.

I've been whipping your buddy Bobs *** with like 390 or so and he has what????? (BTW: Let him know I am still pis sed about the dollar he never paid me for his last beating at the cendiv.)

So lets say I threw about 1200 at my car... could I make it any faster?
Old 06-30-2006, 01:08 PM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been whipping your buddy Bobs *** with like 390 or so and he has what????? (BTW: Let him know I am still pis sed about the dollar he never paid me for his last beating at the cendiv.)
Matt,
If you want forced induction, you could always just run a hose from your mouth to the intake manifold and blow some of that hot air into the motor....

You agreed at that event that I could pay you your measly dollar at the next event. Not my fault you later decided to wimp out on ALL other events this year (I presume quitting while you're ahead, since I had both cone and car trouble at that event, and you got damn lucky). I may tape that dollar to my dashboard to remind me to not hit cones and embarass myself....

Crawl back out of the woodwork and we'll see who gets an *** whooping.

Bob
Old 06-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ATI Performance
Matt,
If you want forced induction, you could always just run a hose from your mouth to the intake manifold and blow some of that hot air into the motor....

You agreed at that event that I could pay you your measly dollar at the next event. Not my fault you later decided to wimp out on ALL other events this year (I presume quitting while you're ahead, since I had both cone and car trouble at that event, and you got damn lucky). I may tape that dollar to my dashboard to remind me to not hit cones and embarass myself....

Crawl back out of the woodwork and we'll see who gets an *** whooping.

Bob

Well well well...if it's not Mr. Squelch on the dollar Raw time bet himself. Bob, you made the bet. We shook on the bet and agreed on the terms before the race.

I won. It's really that simple. Aka you lost. AKA I was faster than you. AKA I was faster than your car. AKA I got the trophy and you didn't.

And you didn't pay me the dollar you owe me. Tried collecting at the trophy ceremony (you know, the place where you didn't collect a trophy ) and you said you had your money in the truck. So you left. I sent you what?? Three or so IMs asking for my dollar and you told me to come to another national level race and get it. I sent you my mailing address and a paypal address. Not because I need the dollar but because I really don't/didn't want you to screw me out of a dollar bet.

Dude, you lost the bet and didn't pay. It is Not my job to have to hunt you down to get my dollar.

It was a gentleman's bet for $1.00. And you did not honor your end. Guess that says enough. I had not made a post about it earlier because I didn't want this to reflect negatively on your business and or products. I like all the stuff you guys make and would even possibly buy stuff from your company. But I will not ever make a gentleman's bet (or any other kind of bet) with you again.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:31 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Don't worry, Bob. I'll give Matt back the dollar he hadto give me on our bet....................................

I like your forced induction option for Matt, although he would need a serious inter-cooler to cool down that hot air
Old 06-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Don't worry, Bob. I'll give Matt back the dollar he hadto give me on our bet....................................

I like your forced induction option for Matt, although he would need a serious inter-cooler to cool down that hot air

blow me.

Danny,
Anytime we run against one another and you are either a. driving your ASP car or B. One of Mr. Welch on dollar bets cars then I generally take second place. Taking 2nd place in a class where you run is just like a 1st place in all other areas.

And what do I do when I lose a dollar bet to you? Answer: I pay it. Yes, you further humiliate (see-make me faster) by making me pay Jordan the dollar but that's ok. Its a bet we made and I honor it.

Honor. Is it just a word? Perhaps old Bob could look that one up in the dictionary.

BTW: If memory serves me correct I have collected a couple dollars from you. Once I even got you with no handicap.

Danny do me a favor and have Jordan tell Mr. Non- Gentleman himself that he really ought to pay me the dollar he owes me.

Bob- If you would like to keep said dollar then I will be happy to accept a pair of ported (good) ZO6 heads/cam a steering wheel and adapter.

Or you could always just pay the dollar that you owe.

Get notified of new replies

To Forced induction for autocrossing????????

Old 06-30-2006, 02:38 PM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried collecting at the trophy ceremony and you said you had your money in the truck.
For the record, I said I would go get it in my truck, and you said don't worry about it just pay you at the next event. You said it. We agreed. THEN, after we all got home, you email me that you no longer plan to attend any events and now you want me to mail you your dollar. I'm not going to waste a 39 cent stamp, envelope, and my time because all of a sudden you decide to wimp out (probably after realizing that you would get your *** handed to you if you ever showed up again).

Besides, this is entertainment that money just can't buy...

Bob
Old 06-30-2006, 03:19 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danny,

I have a Cartek Stage II and I do 442RWHP on a Dynojet and 453RWHP on a Dynapack.

-TJ
Old 06-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ATI Performance
For the record, I said I would go get it in my truck, and you said don't worry about it just pay you at the next event. You said it. We agreed. THEN, after we all got home, you email me that you no longer plan to attend any events and now you want me to mail you your dollar. I'm not going to waste a 39 cent stamp, envelope, and my time because all of a sudden you decide to wimp out (probably after realizing that you would get your *** handed to you if you ever showed up again).

Besides, this is entertainment that money just can't buy...

Bob

Ghost rider that is a big negative.... I said go to the truck and get it. And I told you at the race that I wasn't planning on attending nationals this year.

Beating up on cars with millions of dollars tied up in them and then making fun of poor drivers/owners of said cars is just part of the fun. BTW: How many ZO6s did you use to try and beat me? Was it two or three?

You should be ashamed of yourself. :o Picking on under developed 390 some HP old C5s.. Betting them on raw time bets and such. I'd say you had the unfair advantage.

But you sir have stooped to a new low. Not only are you picking on smaller kids in the playground, but this one just stood up and whipped your ars pretty good. (not the first time )

AND THEN YOU SCREWED ME OUT OF MY DOLLAR.

Real smooth Bob...

Quick Reply: Forced induction for autocrossing????????