Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race seat options

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Default Race seat options

I need something fairly easy to install/uninstall as I still drive the car a lot on the street. It needs to be adjustable front to back since two of us drive my car at most events. Where should I start and what should I look for and look to avoid?
Old 06-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Loco Vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Loaded like a freight train, flyin' like an aeroplane!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
CI X-XI Blind Cart Auto-X Champ
CI VI Autocross Champ
CI VIII Autocross Champ
CI VIII Cone-killin' champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
I need something fairly easy to install/uninstall as I still drive the car a lot on the street. It needs to be adjustable front to back since two of us drive my car at most events. Where should I start and what should I look for and look to avoid?

Chasing any particular goals?

BTW
Old 06-26-2006, 08:42 PM
M14
Intermediate

As you are about to discover, your seat choice is small due to limited space. I mounted a Corbeau Forza, with sliding mount. It allows the use of the OE belt as well as my six point harness. Most seats will not allow maintaining the bottom OE belt mount on the outboard side, and some have no provision for the male bracket on the inboard side. The Corbeau is a steel-frame seat with fabric center. It is not a seat I would consider for competition, but for DE use it is satisfactory, and has proper provision for shoulder and sub belts, so I can also use my HANS device.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:18 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a sparco Evo 2L in my car, has a slider but stock seatbelts had to be pulled.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by M14
As you are about to discover, your seat choice is small due to limited space. I mounted a Corbeau Forza, with sliding mount. It allows the use of the OE belt as well as my six point harness. Most seats will not allow maintaining the bottom OE belt mount on the outboard side, and some have no provision for the male bracket on the inboard side. The Corbeau is a steel-frame seat with fabric center. It is not a seat I would consider for competition, but for DE use it is satisfactory, and has proper provision for shoulder and sub belts, so I can also use my HANS device.
This one?
http://www.corbeau.com/products/forza/forza.shtml

Does it have a hole for a sub-belt?
Old 06-27-2006, 08:02 PM
M14
Intermediate

This one?
http://www.corbeau.com/products/forza/forza.shtml

Does it have a hole for a sub-belt?
Yes, and yes.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Sweet. That's not as insanely priced as I had feared.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:26 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

These would be closer to the "insane" price (about $1500 - 1900 each) but I installed a set and they mount on the stock seat tracks so they would basically work the same as the stock seats yet they are much more ridged and look great.
They are made by Caravaggio

You can get the stiching and seat back any color you want. Plus it's leather, insane price yes but still just as functional as stock, except they don't fold forward.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:36 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just received my Corbeau FX1 Pro with their double-locking slider. I can tell you that you need a 34" waist to fit in it. I'm 6' and about 165lbs. The fit feels real good. Otherwise for 36" and up get the Forza or Forza II (for the real portly boys).

I'm installing it tonight for a test run. If you get Corbeau with the slider make sure you order the double-locking one. Now I see it I can understand why. It's about a $10-$15 upgrade. The sliding mount is $99. This is per side. The seat was $299.

Seat bolts to the slider with bolts that come in the seat. Took 10 mins with a helper to jockey the slider. Shouldn't take more than an hour to do the install in the car. You could use a 5-point or 6-point with it. The hole is plenty big enough for either style sub strap. The mount has a threaded stud that is on the inboard side to mount your factory seat belt and the inboard harness (the part of the belts that have the release mechanism).
Old 06-28-2006, 02:23 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Default carravagio seats

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
These would be closer to the "insane" price (about $1500 - 1900 each) but I installed a set and they mount on the stock seat tracks so they would basically work the same as the stock seats yet they are much more ridged and look great.

You can get the stiching and seat back any color you want. Plus it's leather, insane price yes but still just as functional as stock, except they don't fold forward.
i have 2 red and black seats ,,didn't fit me ...will let go for 1k, paid more than 2..
johnny
Old 06-28-2006, 03:00 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by racerwannabe
i have 2 red and black seats ,,didn't fit me ...will let go for 1k, paid more than 2..
johnny
Johnny,

You have a PM. First in line.

Steve
Old 06-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by vms4evr
. I can tell you that you need a 34" waist to fit in it. I'm 6' and about 165lbs. The fit feels real good.
Good thing I'm a 33. Which explains why the stock C5 seat feels like a bench seat to me.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:39 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Good thing I'm a 33. Which explains why the stock C5 seat feels like a bench seat to me.
anorexic ****
Old 06-28-2006, 06:41 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Yeah even with 5-point harness on the stock seat my boney little butt wants to move around. My left foot goes from clutch to push-like-hell on the dead pedal to hang on in hard turns.

With a 33" waist you could fit in the FX1 Pro and it would be a good fit. I have a 32" inseam and the seating position and support under and side of the legs feels good.

I'll be testing it over the 4th at VIR. We'll see how it goes...
Old 06-28-2006, 07:03 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by vms4evr
Yeah even with 5-point harness on the stock seat my boney little butt wants to move around. My left foot goes from clutch to push-like-hell on the dead pedal to hang on in hard turns. ..
My left knee has a knot on it and my door has a spot worn into it.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:08 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by vetteman9368
anorexic ****
Hey, you're not using your C4 sport seats are you?
Old 07-08-2006, 09:29 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Update:

So I installed the FX1 Pro. It fits in the car no problem against the inside. The edge of the extended shoulder area just touches the door panel near the top. Not a big deal. It came with a post to connect your factory belt on the inside. I have the RD Racing Harness Bar. So it is a little bit of a struggle getting the downbar over the rear bolt. The slider from Corbeau is made of heavier and thicker metal than the factory seat base. Definetely get the double locking slider if you use one. You can wrap the substrap around the frame on the seat slider. It's pretty solid.

As far as fit and comfort. If you get the FX1 Pro you really do need to have a small frame and 34" or less waist. The fit is tight in the thigh area. Shoulder area is more open. Height works just fine. Once I got buckled in to my 5-point I was planted. I wish the sides where it locks your legs was just an inch or two higher. But I never slammed my knees on the door or console all weekend. As far as comfort goes. Well I guess it is comfortable for a race seat. I don't think I'll complain about my stock seats comfort again It is something to get used to. I'm not sure I could or would drive 6hrs straight to RR or RA in it.

Now the angle it seats you at with the slider is not optimum. I found I was not tilted back enough and didn't get enough support under my legs with the front pad. It feels flat or actually tilted down when you sit in it. But looking at it, it isn't. I'm ordering the aluminum universal style so I can get the angle set the way I want. The seat can be mounted by its bottom or sides. It also has a bolt in the back that you could connect a bar to it and a rollbar to sturdy the seat back.

For a seat that costs $300 I'm pretty happy with it.

Graham

Get notified of new replies

To Race seat options

Old 09-06-2006, 02:01 PM
jas0nz06
Cruising

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport

can the tilt angle be adjusted on these seats? they look tilted back pretty far, the steering wheel all the way up? do you sit higher than stock? i have a 07 z06 and am looking for seats...

thank you in advance

JD
Old 09-06-2006, 02:49 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Do make sure the seat fits you snuggly and seat bolsters that come up past your rib cage, not next to it. Your ribs are point of impact if you go sidewaise into anything. If you can slide side to side the seat is tooo big

Just because it looks good and is made of leather does not mean it is a good seat.

The best race seats are NOT leather, but cloth over carbon fiber / fiber glass or aluminum.

It is a challange when there are two differnt ppl using the same seat.

Sit in lots of seats before you buy.

Seat position:

Up close and personal is best for competitive driving. Much differnt then DD

Sit in your seat, hang your wrists over the steeting wheel at 11 and 1 o'clock
There should be a 90* bend in your elbows
Now put your hands at 9 and 3 o'clock for driving.

When you steer or trun, pull the steering wheel down, not push over the top.

exp. a right turn

pull the steering wheel down with your right arm, not push the steering wheel over the top with the left arm

What does steering have to do with a seat??

Support, easy of driving, turning, control, then comfort.

Good Luck

Last edited by AU N EGL; 09-06-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:39 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

can the tilt angle be adjusted on these seats? they look tilted back pretty far, the steering wheel all the way up? do you sit higher than stock? i have a 07 z06 and am looking for seats...

thank you in advance

JD
No you can't change the seat angle, you would have to tilt the whole seat, In that picture the seat is jacked up in the front to show off the seat. All in all the Carvaggio seat is based off of a racing seat, it's just modified slightly to make it easier to live with.
Ease of use vs maximum saftey is a decision you will have to make. Either way it's better than the stock seats!

Quick Reply: Race seat options