Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! I suck at putting stickers on car

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 07:31 PM
drbenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! I suck at putting stickers on car

Now that I have gotten my broken fender off and have mounted a brand new one, I find I am incapable of putting on stickers without getting bubbles, wrinkles etc. Anyone have this very important skill down?
Old 06-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

My fiance is in charge of arts and crafts. Get a girl to do it for you.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Squirt the area where the sticker is going with Quick Detailer or something like that and you'll be able to manipulate the sticker until it dries. The key is to keep the area wet until you're satisfied with where it is. Use a squeege(sp?) to get the bubble out.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:59 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Squirt the area where the sticker is going with Quick Detailer or something like that and you'll be able to manipulate the sticker until it dries. The key is to keep the area wet until you're satisfied with where it is. Use a squeege(sp?) to get the bubble out.
Use some water with a little surfactant in it, a drop or two of Dawn detergent or J&J baby shampoo. A credit card works great at getting the bubbles and excess water out from under the sticker.

Another great time saver I discovered by accident is that when you take the stickers off you can remove any sticky glue left on the car by using blue painter's tape. It picks up the glue right off the car. No need for any goo gone or messy cleaners. FYI
Old 06-26-2006, 08:30 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Roy -- use a 50/50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol. The water/soap mixture works as well, but alcohol helps keep the mess down & evaporates easier. If you do end up with bubbles, use a squeegee as possible, or lance the bubble with a needle.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:31 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are they vinyl stickers or some other kind?

I do as the others say when I put on my DE numbers, then when I reach the point I can't coax the bubbles out, I take a small push pin, almost completely parallel to the car (so as to not push the in into the car's paint) poke a really small hole in the bubble and push the air out.

Once flat you can't see the pinhole at all.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:29 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

use blue painters tape to align them before you start the wetting process. Put marks on the tape and the decal. You can also let the blue tape be a hinge for the entire decal preprositioned. Then you peel it from the top down if it is big. some air bubbles need a pin ***** if you cannot make them travel to an edge. If that all fails rip it off and like me.

Last edited by John Shiels; 06-26-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:30 AM
drbenne
Instructor

Thanks for the helpful tips. As far as getting my wife to do it, this would be a major tactical error as I try to minimize her involvement/awareness of my money and time consuming habit. Maybe using someone elses girl might work, but this too has potential risks.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:54 AM
nassaufrc
Racer

I subscribe to the theory that if you are way out in front, where a Corvette should be, no one should see your stickers. And if they must, just spend time on the ones on the rear of your car.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:24 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nassaufrc
I subscribe to the theory that if you are way out in front, where a Corvette should be, no one should see your stickers. And if they must, just spend time on the ones on the rear of your car.
Yeah but some people like to use pretty pictures of their sticker covered cars in their sigs

Old 06-28-2006, 11:39 PM
nassaufrc
Racer

The trick to that is keeping in front of the Porsches leaking oil, fuel and some secret german fluid all over your pretty stickers.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:57 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

The trick to that is keeping in front of the Porsches leaking oil, fuel and some secret german fluid all over your pretty stickers.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Jess03Z06
Advanced

I haven't tried this yet but it was recommended to me by a professional installer. Primarily targetting big stickers like door numbers.

Use the water combo's discussed earlier in the thread.

Strip away one inch of the backing at the top of the sticker to simplify lining up the sticker. Press out bubbles in from center to edge. Slowly peel the backing down and repeat pressing out bubbles. My car number kit came with a sticker squeegee.

Like i said, i haven't tried personally but will be next weekend.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:59 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I deliberatly go slow though tight corners when there is a P car behnd me. Then use the torque to pull far far away.

Stickers?? heck get some local gang members and few cans of rattle paint.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! I suck at putting stickers on car

Quick Reply: HELP! I suck at putting stickers on car