Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvettes do Brainerd - BIR International Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:53 AM
99vettecoupe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corvettes do Brainerd - BIR International Raceway

The weekend of June 10 was the annual 'Corvettes Do Brainerd' low and high speed events. For those that are unfamiliar, Brainerd is located in the middle of Minnesota.

For the Corvettes Do Brainerd event I decided to mount a video camera in the car. The good news is that the camera worked really well, the not so good is that I should have mounted it on the top of my rollbar instead of the bottom since the front of the car lifts enough under acceleration that the track somewhat disappears from view.

Saturday was the Low Speed event. This starts at turn 2 and ends between turns 8 and 9. There are cones on the track for this event which is what qualifies it for 'Low Speed'.

Somehow a lot of the speed gets lost in translation with the video camera also. When you watch the High Speed video keep in mind that the car is moving at 165mph at the end of the straight and try to keep track of what gear the car is in, that should help the C5 drivers understand the speeds.

Apologies in advance for the 'Trial version' message on the video

For those experienced BIR drivers... in the High Speed video I tried shifting to 4th and leaving it there from turn 6 since I was running out of gear, it did not work out so well through turn 8 and the next lap I almost dropped a whole second by holding 3rd. I will need to start short shifting in to 4th and dropping back to 3rd through some of these sections, in particular the stretch from turn 3 to 4.

Unfortunately the high res, High speed videos are too large for putfile so I only have the low res version here.

High Speed - Low resolution (dial-up)

Click here to watch BIR-High-speed

Although this was not my fastest run it will still give you an idea of what it's all about. For those that were there, this run is 1.014... close to my fastest.

Low Speed - High Resolution (broadband)

Click here to watch Low-speed-high-res

Low Speed - Low resolution

Click here to watch BIR-Low-speed-AutoX
Old 06-23-2006, 11:35 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on your FTD, I think on both days. I couldn't make it up there because I was in Philly for the weekend. But it sounded like everyone had a good time.

Randy
Old 06-23-2006, 11:38 AM
99vettecoupe
Pro

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Congrats on your FTD, I think on both days. I couldn't make it up there because I was in Philly for the weekend. But it sounded like everyone had a good time.

Randy
Thanks Randy, it's great to hear from you. I did manage FTD both days so was pretty happy about that!

We should get together for a beer soon.

Andy
Old 06-23-2006, 12:32 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

I lost your phone number when my phone died. PM that to me.

Randy
Old 06-23-2006, 01:06 PM
99vettecoupe
Pro

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
I lost your phone number when my phone died. PM that to me.

Randy
Sent it. Nice work on the 427 C6, that thing was amazing
Old 06-23-2006, 04:05 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Say hello to my little friend. Ken the owner of the car is about the funnest guy I know. At 65 years old he can still drive the crap out of it. I will give you a call soon

Randy
PS He did the wing and splitter down in AZ. (3 seconds a lap down on firebird raceway)

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes do Brainerd - BIR International Raceway

Quick Reply: Corvettes do Brainerd - BIR International Raceway