Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got black flagged for something in this vid... not sure what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 01:23 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default I got black flagged for something in this vid... not sure what?

Anyone know what pass I made to get black flagged?

Old 06-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

A pass in the past tense would mean you passed the black car, it looks like between t.10 & t.11.

If you mean a future pass, it would be you passed the grey RX8, between t.10 & t.11.

In either case that is a no passing zone.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I guess you're right... it was the pass between 10 and 11, however I got a point by from the driver and reacted to that.

I guess I had a lapse of thinking and forgot it's not a passing zone. However I've run events out there where it's open passing w/ a point and I got the point.

Oh well... I understand now.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:11 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Each club has their own rules that are stated in the drivers meeting. If you do many events with different clubs, things get harder to remember, but it still your responsibility.
Some clubs have SCCA conner workers and some use track event entrants as corner workers. Theres a big difference.
Some clubs are so much more liberal than others. Thats why I only go with the clubs I perfer.
In some clubs, the experienced/fast group gets away with much more than the beginer group, as it should be.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:20 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Well I was running solo in the A group which is the level below instructor... it's not a big deal... i just couldn't figure out why I was black flagged, but now it makes complete sense... that stretch wasn't opened for passing in that event.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Brian, in the instructor's group it was open passing anywhere on track with a point.

I was riding with a friend of mine, as a passenger not an instructor, during an A session and we got a point in that same place and he was a bit hesitant, but I told him to take it since we had a head of steam and the guy in front went offline for us. It was on the last lap so they couldn't blackflag him, but they sure scolded him when we got to the pit lane.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:45 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, that's a pet peeve of mine... people giving point-bys in non passing zones.

I love a mirror point before a zone so I know I can build some steam and will get a pass at the next zone, but very often I get a point-by in a non-passing zone, don't take it (as I shouldn't) and then when we get to the zone I don't get a point-by, either because the driver felt he already gave one (some ambiguity there) or because he felt I wasn't interested in passing since I didn't take the point-by.

Frustrating sometime.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:00 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by yellow01
Yeah, that's a pet peeve of mine... people giving point-bys in non passing zones.
Yesterday was the first time that happened to me. I was coming onto a short straight that the advanced group was allowed to pass on, but not the intermediate. The car in front of me was much slower and gave me the point by. At first I didn't take it because it wasn't allowed, but he continued to point, moved off line and slowed down a lot. I ended up taking it because I felt that slowing down to his speed would have been much more dangerous. I normally exit that turn at 85-90 and he must have been doing at most 60 down that straight!

I don't understand what some people are thinking. It was clearly stated that our group could not pass there, and also that if you don't want to take a point by you don't have to. I expected to just follow that guy until the back straight, where I could legally pass, but I felt that I was forced to break the rules because of that guy.

Luckily I didn't get black flagged for that, but at that pace, that guy should have not been out in the intermediate run group.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:44 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mlongo99
Yesterday was the first time that happened to me. I was coming onto a short straight that the advanced group was allowed to pass on, but not the intermediate. The car in front of me was much slower and gave me the point by. At first I didn't take it because it wasn't allowed, but he continued to point, moved off line and slowed down a lot. I ended up taking it because I felt that slowing down to his speed would have been much more dangerous. I normally exit that turn at 85-90 and he must have been doing at most 60 down that straight!
I don't understand what some people are thinking. It was clearly stated that our group could not pass there, and also that if you don't want to take a point by you don't have to. I expected to just follow that guy until the back straight, where I could legally pass, but I felt that I was forced to break the rules because of that guy.
Luckily I didn't get black flagged for that, but at that pace, that guy should have not been out in the intermediate run group.
If the rules are no passing in a particular area and you get a point-by, its your responsibility to reject it. Your at fault if you pass. This is usually mentioned in driver meetings, but not always.
I usually pass regardless. If you are with a good club and in the experienced group, its usually overlooked. I have been black flagged once in 28 years for this. Of course times are changing. This sport is so popular now, many clubs are getting stricter every year.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:46 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

At some events I think black must be my color.

It is tough when you run multiple clubs and multiple groups at the same event. Bottom line is the driver is responsible to follow the rules in force at the track at the time and make sure it is safe.

Passing seems to be the biggest problem, and peeves, at any event I go to. Normally it works out in a few sessions.

I have had problems where the corner workers are not informed of new passing zones being opened up and getting BF'd for that...
Old 06-23-2006, 08:48 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Passing can be fun. I like driving behind cars that only slightly slower than me and passing at will. The cars that are extremely slower are a nuisance and hazardous. If you been driving for many years, its boring to be driving out there by yourself, although recorded laps times will be much better.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:06 PM
Vetracr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious about your question. In all the events I've attended when you get black flagged you have to report to the Marshall or who ever is in charge on pit lane. In my experience, They have always explained WHY you were black flagged. I'm surprised no one told you why. Whats the good of a black flag if you can't learn from a mistake. just my $.02.

Larry
Old 06-26-2006, 12:51 PM
MOOELLA
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by varkwso
At some events I think black must be my color.

It is tough when you run multiple clubs and multiple groups at the same event. Bottom line is the driver is responsible to follow the rules in force at the track at the time and make sure it is safe.

Passing seems to be the biggest problem, and peeves, at any event I go to. Normally it works out in a few sessions.

I have had problems where the corner workers are not informed of new passing zones being opened up and getting BF'd for that...
But the INSTRUCTORS are supposed to know better, right JEFF??? (and TOM!!!)

Julie!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Vetracr
I'm curious about your question. In all the events I've attended when you get black flagged you have to report to the Marshall or who ever is in charge on pit lane. In my experience, They have always explained WHY you were black flagged. I'm surprised no one told you why. Whats the good of a black flag if you can't learn from a mistake. just my $.02.

Larry
Normally this is the case. However, this time they guy in the pit lane simply said you made an illegal pass, but I'm not sure where... nevermind go on out and get your time in!
Old 06-27-2006, 04:55 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BLONDE C5
But the INSTRUCTORS are supposed to know better, right JEFF??? (and TOM!!!)

Julie!

We set it up so you would get comfortable with black flags, really
Old 06-28-2006, 08:26 AM
MOOELLA
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by varkwso
We set it up so you would get comfortable with black flags, really

OH PUUUHHHHLLLLLEEEEZZZZZZEEEE...don't do me any favors!
That is something I'd rather NOT see!!

JJ!

Get notified of new replies

To I got black flagged for something in this vid... not sure what?

Quick Reply: I got black flagged for something in this vid... not sure what?