Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Default Cooling Problem

After my last event at Watkins Glen I noticed my coolant temps are running high even with the Ron Davis radiator. The first day of the event somebody drove around the track leaking oil for a few laps. By the time the track workers noticed he had oiled down 60% of the track. It took them 120 bags of Speedy Dry to get the oil cleaned up. Of course I got a chance to run through the stuff which was flying around enough I had to close the face shield on my helmet to keep breathing. Once I noticed the cooling problem put the car up on the lift. The AC condensor is partially plugged (about 40%) with Speedy Dry so the air flow through the radiator is being limited. On Sunday I was at an autocross in 95+ heat and could not get the coolant to drop below 224 even when I turned the AC on. The fans would go into high speed mode but after a couple of minutes the AC would cut off. I took the car for a short drive at about 30 mph in 5th gear but it still wouldn't cool down.

Anybody know how I can get that stuff out of the AC condensor without removing the radiator and blowing air in from the back side?

Bill
Old 06-20-2006, 12:05 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Good Luck Bill

try taking the top of the radiator shoud off, then get a long thin wand and attach to a high pressure air hose. I do this frequetly to blow the crap out

I have also taken a baby bottle brush and attached it to a wire coat hanger then moved the bush up and down between the radiator and AC condensor.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:54 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill stick your shop vac in front of the condenser, then use an electric leaf blower or air nozzle on a compressor to blow between the AC condenser and radiator.

A good blast with a hose might do the trick also.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Two good ideas. I will start with the Shop Vac. That is one I should have thought of.

Thanks
Bill
Old 06-20-2006, 05:06 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Bill, You might want to get underneath and spray it down with super clean & water. All that oil film is just going to pick up stuff and make it clog up again
Old 06-20-2006, 06:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bill just watch water pressure on fins they bend easy with hig pressure. Cleaning heavy equipment I hit a rad once and flatten them.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:11 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All good advise above.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling Problem

Quick Reply: Cooling Problem