Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miller Motorsports Park....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Default Miller Motorsports Park....

...anyone run here yet??

Wow...what a first class place. I watched teh AMA Superbike races from there this weekend on SPEED....what a cool track.

Anyone run there????
Old 06-19-2006, 09:38 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maineiac
...anyone run here yet??

Wow...what a first class place. I watched teh AMA Superbike races from there this weekend on SPEED....what a cool track.

Anyone run there????
not yet
Old 06-20-2006, 12:28 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

The ALMS will be there on July 13th through the 15th.

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/trackOverview.cfm

Miller Motorsports Park is 4.5 miles long, which will make it the longest circuit on the ALMS, and features 24 turns.

The front straight is 3,550 feet long "which should allow for speeds of 200 mph by some categories of race vehicles."

Yes, the ALMS will use that long front straight.

Is there any road course in North America with a straight that is longer?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:53 AM
MilehighZ51
Advanced

I ran a weekend of Time Trials with NASA there last month on the full 4.48 mile course. This place is nothing short of a world-class facility. The track is comprised of 23 turns and lots of speed. You really need a good, solid weekend to somewhat get a hang of this track... My best time was a 3:31 (yes, that's THREE minutes!!) in my '96 LT4, and there's lots of room for improvement.

Here's a video clip from a guy in my run group (55Mb):
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~tag/movies/M...20060521_1.wmv

Can't wait to get out there again!

Last edited by MilehighZ51; 06-20-2006 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by MilehighZ51
I ran a weekend of Time Trials with NASA there last month on the full 4.48 mile course. This place is nothing short of a world-class facility. The track is comprised of 23 turns and lots of speed. You really need a good, solid weekend to somewhat get a hang of this track... My best time was a 3:31 (yes, that's THREE minutes!!) in my '96 LT4, and there's lots of room for improvement.

Definitely a world class place. Apparently they want to get a MotoGP race and an F1 race. They were told that they need more fixed grandstand seating to meet the F1 requirements, so that is in the works.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Maineiac
...anyone run here yet??

Anyone run there????

I was watching this too and saw all the turns and open area. Looks like a fun track...
Old 06-20-2006, 09:18 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by micro
The ALMS will be there on July 13th through the 15th.

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/trackOverview.cfm

Miller Motorsports Park is 4.5 miles long, which will make it the longest circuit on the ALMS, and features 24 turns.

The front straight is 3,550 feet long "which should allow for speeds of 200 mph by some categories of race vehicles."

Yes, the ALMS will use that long front straight.

Is there any road course in North America with a straight that is longer?
We will be there with the World Challenge series that weekend also. I tested there a month ago and it is truly a great track.

The speeds are equal to Sebring because of the high altitude the power is way down. It is at 5000 ft above sea level or close to it.

The Turbo cars will not be affected as much, but I understand that ALMS will adjust the boost for that race.

I was testing there with an older C5 World Challenge car that is not very competitive given the rules for the C5, and we did a 3:02 flat on old tires. I would expect our World Challenge C6 Corvette to do a 2:55 or there abouts. Archer was there in a current Viper Comp Coupe and his fastest time was a 2:58.xx. There is a video up somewhere. I will find the link of his 3:00.xx flat lap and post it up here.

Video LINK: http://www.rennportal.com/movies/SWC/2006/Miller.html

We were hitting about 155mph with this car. The World Challenge GT speeds should be about 160.

The Mazda Touring cars, with Randy Pobst was running 3:12's I believe. I would expect them to get below the 10s for the race weekend.

There were Daytona Prototypes testing there on the same day and they were hitting 164mph at the end of the straights.

It took a full day to figure out the 23 turns and to get comfortable. I would expect the teams that didn't test there to be out to lunch for at least a day.

All in all it was much more than I expected. It will be a great event.

As a spectator track, I am confused. there are not enough grand stands, but where would someone watch from given 4.5 miles to choose from?

Thanks
Lou G

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 06-20-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:32 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Here are a few photos. sorry for the Viper and not a Corvette in them.
LG

Old 06-20-2006, 09:52 AM
vetteztr
Navigator

I ran on the East portion of the track a few weks ago with the Porsche club here in Utah. There is another event with the club July 8. The track is great, they had bikes on the other part of the track part of the day. I was the only corvette out with the Euro cars, they were a good group to go with. I was running mid 1:50s with fading brakes and on Toyo ra1's. Not as hard to memorize as RA or another track with elevation changes, but the setup and track surface are second to none!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:04 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They interviewed Larry Miller during the AMA races and he said that the track wasn't finished yet. I believe that they plan on adding more grandstands and some jumbotrons, as well as finish the landscaping.

He also said that he's going to try to entice MotoGP, World Superbike, Champ Car, IRL and even F1. He's got the basics, but would be willing to build whatever the series needs. I'd love to see an F1 race there instead of at Indy. I doubt it will happen though because F1 goes where the money is these days.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my brother ran his c-3 there 2 weeks ago during the NASA outing.

he says a great track and world class facility - but us poor guys are being shut out - track days there are costing as much as sears point - for 1/2 that much I can get onto spring Mountain or Reno Fernley - to bad - I'd love to run there lots - but it's too pricey!

Carl Johansson
Old 06-20-2006, 02:24 PM
micro
Melting Slicks

The AMA Superbike race is on now at that place.

“It’s a fun layout,” said Jacobi. “Once I learned where I was going I liked it. There’s not much out there for reference, but overall I liked it. And the facilities, there’s nothing (on the WERA National schedule) that really compares to it, maybe Barber, but garage-wise, there’s nothing.”

- http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=26030

My dad has driven at Barber Motorsports Park and he thought it was incredible.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:30 PM
NJCRUISER
Racer

I ran an SSB class Camaro there at the SCCA Double National on Memorial day weekend. We ran the 2.2 mile west course while they had a bike race on the east side. OUTSTANDING facilities. Unending rows of garages, a museum (not open yet) Pretty good track food, and I have been around,

The west track was pretty technical in nature and favored the lighter cars. Our V6 200 hp camaros couldn't keep up with the Acura/Honda Si contingent. Whereas the higher speed tracks yield different results. If *I had one complaint, It would be the lack of elevation changes as you would see at Laguna, WGI, Lime rock etc...

All in all though
Old 06-20-2006, 06:20 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Brainerd International Raceway has a really long run down into turn one. Coming out of 10, you have about 400 feet until the start line for the 1/4 mile. Then after that they have a 1/2 mile shut down. One of our RSR cars was going about 176 into turn one, which is lift and put it back on the floor.

Randy
PS the back drop at Miller looks cool
Old 06-21-2006, 10:21 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Miller track

Ran there a few weeks ago before issues with vehicle but an outstanding facility. Hit a little over 150 on straight with an old speed vision challenge camaro (I believe this was Lou's old 94 camaro #28) which is now set up for NASA AIX.

Also did some testing on West course. This is a first class facility and one of the best in the country. Larry has about 80 million in it and that number is climbing daily. ALMS in July should be absolutely outstanding.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:06 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MilehighZ51

I was out there that same weekend with NASA, but only HPDE 2 but

I don't have a lot of experience but that track was a lot of fun. I had problems with turns 5, 7 and 23 (on the full track). 5 is tough to judge the braking zone, and I for some reason had trouble hitting 23 correctly :o Never got the exit speed I would like to have Next turn 7 is a little tricky, but I loved it. Hit it right and you rocket out of it and just fly through turn 8 like it wasn't there Otherwise it takes some time to get a good mental image of the track and what line you want through all the corners. I almost could have used on-stars help to find my way through the track I took advantage of an additional day there and was glad I did. After the first day I was pretty lost, but about half way through the next day things started to fall into place. The last day was great, had a plan for some of the course and just tried to learn how to drive

It is an awsome track definately can not wait until I get back there

Last edited by MattB; 06-22-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:56 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Default Miller track

Lou was right on.

He said it took him one full day to get the track figured out. For the rest of us it is probably 2 track days.

Even though it is basically a flat track I saw a lot of good drivers off course. Slow and smooth is quick for the 1st day.

If anyone gets a chance to visit Salt Lake you will be impressed with the quality of the facility and track.

Get notified of new replies

To Miller Motorsports Park....

Old 06-23-2006, 04:10 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Is this the guy that owns the Utah Jazz?? and a Shelby museum??
...redvetracr
Old 06-23-2006, 09:46 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Default Miller track

Yes.

Larry Miller owns the Track, Jazz, Museum, lots of mustangs and cobras and quite a large number of car dealerships.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Hotred94
Pro

Add some restaurants, movie theaters, and movie production facilities. $80 million is what he pays each of his basketball players.

Quick Reply: Miller Motorsports Park....