Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR Grand East (Mazda Event) Video...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default VIR Grand East (Mazda Event) Video...

Here's a short clip of a couple of C5's (mine is the video car) and a C6Z playing around. Notice how the C6Z pulls our C5's on the long straight.

Giddy Up!
Old 06-19-2006, 09:06 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Wonderful video - very clear. What type of camera are you using ? I stopped by your trailer several times during the event, but you were away. Will try to catch you the next event.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice drive Jody. I've been on both the South and the North courses, and this one ties them together. It looks like it keeps you very busy from where you turn off the back straight to where you start down the rollercoaster. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it down to VIR later this year. My new wife, and 3 houses are keeping me very busy at present, and I have little time for Vettes and such. Keep up the good/smooth driving.

Jim
Old 06-20-2006, 12:15 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Great video Jody... I notic that you take the entrance to the rollercoaster a bit dfferently... I think that's the area of track. In one session you came up to my inside there and it wigged me out a bit because I had no clue what you were doing and I knew you were to the inside. In that vid it look like you staghten in out and come inside the out a bit and stab the brakes then turn in... is this a faster way?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:15 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Oh and what was that black vette doing breaking before hogs pen there? Is that a more advanced way of getting through there?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Bugeater
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bri,

> If you are refering to his turn-in at the top of the rollercoaster its a good line (for both Grand East and Fullcourse) when the driver is late braking. Its more advantageous on the full since you are carrying a higher terminal speed longer. On the fullcourse you take care of alot more of the braking in a diagonal line straight to the apex of the top of the roller (Turn 14?).

What you lose in the better DE line (slow in, fast out) you gain in late braking via higher/longer time spent at terminal speed, and the net result is a gain - or in our case a loss of laptime! Some cars would even consider this line a better DE line. There are arguments/cases for both sides but I have seen more "really fast guys" choose the line in the video.

> The Black vette is braking before the turn-in to hogpen I expect to settle the suspension before the compression event, right after you pass the apex at T16. If the car is light and slightly off before T16, and you come in hot and then compress its a little white knuckle there. I would have expected the tap of the brakes a little earlier (like 10-15 yards earlier) though.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

SOme times race lines are not the fastest line around a corner, but protects you from other ppl coming inside.

After a while you get use to doing a race line and not the DE Party line.

Doing corners ( roller coaster, that short straight and hog pen differnlty on diffent lines helps understand your cars dynamics and race lines.

When you do the Synergy event there is a lot of passing in that section, so getting use to the diffent lines helps.

Glad you guys had a great time

Old 06-20-2006, 08:48 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugeater
Bri,

> If you are refering to his turn-in at the top of the rollercoaster its a good line (for both Grand East and Fullcourse) when the driver is late braking. Its more advantageous on the full since you are carrying a higher terminal speed longer. On the fullcourse you take care of alot more of the braking in a diagonal line straight to the apex of the top of the roller (Turn 14?).

What you lose in the better DE line (slow in, fast out) you gain in late braking via higher/longer time spent at terminal speed, and the net result is a gain - or in our case a loss of laptime! Some cars would even consider this line a better DE line. There are arguments/cases for both sides but I have seen more "really fast guys" choose the line in the video.

> The Black vette is braking before the turn-in to hogpen I expect to settle the suspension before the compression event, right after you pass the apex at T16. If the car is light and slightly off before T16, and you come in hot and then compress its a little white knuckle there. I would have expected the tap of the brakes a little earlier (like 10-15 yards earlier) though.
I agree with John's analysis.

I've tried about every line I can imagine in turn 14a. If someone is in front of me, I'll normally go to the inside since there's not a big penalty for doing it that way and I need to do something. The inside line sacrifices a little exit speed since the turn's radius is a little tighter, but you're not giving away too much because you're really setting yourself for turn 15, where you need the speed down that little straight before the beginning of Hog Pen and by then everything is back to equal. Since going inside is a swap of speed for distance, you have to measure it by the clock to see which is really the most effective, but it never hurts to be famaliar with all the lines.

I tap my brakes lightly for settling purposes as I finish up the little straight just before turn in to T.16, then go full throttle, then a slight tap or momentary throttle breathing for the right hander, T.17. After that, if my tires are holding good, my nut sack is big enough and there's a great rabbit in front of me or someone hot on my ***, I can go almost full throttle through T.17a, swearing I'll never do it again.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Falcon
my nut sack is big enough and there's a great rabbit in front of me or someone hot on my ***, I can go almost full throttle through T.17a, swearing I'll never do it again.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:14 AM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dam that looks like fun
Old 06-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Cisitalia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good driving Jody. That black one was holding you up? I thought so, for you to grab 2nd at Oak Tree. Your line was good. But that is expected from you.

Get notified of new replies

To VIR Grand East (Mazda Event) Video...

Quick Reply: VIR Grand East (Mazda Event) Video...