Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$$$...COSTS to run entire T1 season???...$$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Default $$$...COSTS to run entire T1 season???...$$$

How much would it cost to run an entire T1 season...competitively? (ballpark figure?)

Lets assume you have a prepped T1 Z06 already...no sponsors, just paying everything out of your own pocket.....what would it cost?

Lets also assume that you don't wreck during the year and dont' have to make any collision repairs to the car.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:49 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

here is my guess. $3,000 to $5,000 per race, depeding if it is a one or two race weekend. and NEW tires.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:51 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Consumeables : tyres, all fluids, pads, rotors, clutch

Hotel :

Travel :

Event Fees :

Old 06-19-2006, 01:57 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too expensive. Send me your T1 suspension setup.

:
Old 06-19-2006, 03:03 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

and the GT2 Le Mans team of Peterson White Lightning / Krohn racing GT2 Porsche spend $960,000 + drivers saleries to race at Le Mans, which unfortunitly they crashed out of.

So lets see, 1 million vs $5,000. No wonder T1 is called amature.

I think I stick with DEs at about $700 per weekend.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:37 PM
seege
Intermediate

Some quick math. 6 races plus the Runoffs. Average pull 500 miles per event plus 3000 Runoffs. At 6mpg towing and $3 gal gas:

$3000 tow gas
$1200 race gas
$15000 tires (This is assuming 3 races with one set each for qualifying and race and 3 races with one set for both, plus stickers for everyday at the Runoffs and a set of rains - you said competitive-so add 3 more)
$1500 entry fees
$3000 brake pads,rotors and 1 wheel bearing change
$2000 decent spares package for your trailer
$7000 Runoffs engine rebuild or crate engine, new clutch and tune.
$2000 miscellaneous testing
$2000 Runoffs testing
$2000 other sh"t that will break.

If you've got your own Motorhome: add $1000 for food and beverage. If you don't: add $3000 for food, beverage and decent
motels.

Need support? let's say $200 a day x 16 days $3200

I can't bear to add it up, but these are pretty real numbers and wrecks do happen to most folks eventually.. so there's more too.. Did I mention spare wheels, towing breakdowns, rental cars and carts at the Runoffs...

Worth Every Penny !
Old 06-19-2006, 03:46 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Maineiac
How much would it cost to run an entire T1 season...competitively? (ballpark figure?)
Originally Posted by seege
I can't bear to add it up, but these are pretty real numbers and wrecks do happen to most folks eventually.. so there's more too.. Did I mention spare wheels, towing breakdowns, rental cars and carts at the Runoffs...

Worth Every Penny !

$46,000
Old 06-19-2006, 03:47 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by seege

Worth Every Penny !
I'd say the same thing if someone was going to sell me a Lamborghini Murcielago straight off the showroom floor for $50k... but if ya ain't got 50k...

That hurts looking at it. Thanks for the rollup though. Now I know for sure I'll never go that route.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:34 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I'm assuming you're talking running competitively at the NATIONAL level and not regional. For national competition (which means new tires every race), if you are expecting to win, you need to plan on about 2-3K per weekend.

I added everything up over the past few years and that's about what it came to. That wasn't replacing engines, clutches or anything like that. You really don't need to do that to run competitively. But, tires, brakes, rotors, gas (both towing and racing), entry and test fees, hotel, etc will definitely eat a budget up.

Here's the basics though per weekend. Again, this is for National competition...and I run the least expensive stuff out there:
Tires: $1000 (Kumhos with shipping)
Brakes: $300 (Carbotechs)
Rotors: $100
Entry fees: $250 average
Test day (if you choose to do so): $150 average
Racing Gas: $200
Towing fuel: $300 average - round trip
Hotel: $200 average for 3 days

That's about $2500. If you use Kumhos or some other tire with a contingency program, you can get some of that back. GM Performance also has contingency as does Summit Racing. You can sell your old tires to the DE guys for about $300 a set and maybe a set of old brakes or two to help as well.

Now you have to add in the cost of repairs, parts, etc and that can really get painful unless you are very lucky.

I got a break last year (and this year) when Kumho Tires sponsored me - that was HUGE for me!!!!!! But the money I saved on tires, I sunk into getting a new engine and rebuilding my diff.

Overall, you need to count on at least $3K per weekend. But trust me, it's worth every penny. Your first time seeing that green flag in an actual wheel-to-wheel race, knowing that the guy beside you is fighting for the same piece of real estate you are...and your heart is pounding like you never thought possible...well, lets just say it's something that DE stuff just can't quite match.

I still teach DE events and it's still fun...but it's not racing. Come on in, the water's fine!!!!!!!! Find out what you can do. We'd love to have you.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:40 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I still teach DE events and it's still fun...but it's not racing. Come on in, the water's fine!!!!!!!! Find out what you can do. We'd love to have you.

I still have the goal of getting the license... I'll do it but it may take time due to cost.

Unfortunately my wife has an expensive hobby also... so it's constant give/take.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:16 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

What Chris said is right on, both on the costs issue as well as how you feel.

C'mon in, it's more than great.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Bugeater
Instructor

Chris is dead-on. Now, a large percentage of T1 guys do not run a national schedule, and at the regional level your travel expenses are lower due to mainly distance and the number of different tracks. An added bonus is that you can typically run a set of tires in 2 races instead of 1 and be competitive. Regional T1 weekends can be had for roughly half the 3K average of a national T1 competitive weekend. If you live very close to the track you could drop the cost to 1200 or so, but thats a rare (and lucky) entrant.

If your goal is podium and not winning, you can stretch the tires some more to cut costs. New tires, brakes etc or not, you still get a rush when the green flag drops!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:48 AM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Chris,
Thanks for the write up. It sure does sound like a good time. Sooner or later I hope.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by fastzr1
Chris,
Thanks for the write up. It sure does sound like a good time.

Sounds like a blast!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:47 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Sounds like a blast!

Yes it is. And then once the needle is in, you can expect to be addicted for years to come.

And with human nature as it is, you will strive to be better and better and follow the rule,"Money buys speed".

Not just parts, but seat time. And seat time costs money. Every mile that you run costs more money but racing is the last clean wholesome fun left in America so it is money well spent.

It is also a sport that you can enjoy until you catch up with Paul Newman's age.

At any rate, Life is no dress rehersal, so go for it.

LG
Old 06-20-2006, 10:57 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Yes it is. And then once the needle is in, you can expect to be addicted for years to come. LG
Yeah, I've said many times that it would have been a lot easier and cheaper just to develop a good ol' fashioned CRACK habit. ha ha
Old 06-20-2006, 01:11 PM
plaster
Melting Slicks

So how does one go about getting sponsors, and what kind of percentage do they give you?
Any money if you actually win a race to help offset costs?
Something I am very interested in, but two grand a pop is not feasible right now.

Get notified of new replies

To $$$...COSTS to run entire T1 season???...$$$

Old 06-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by Bugeater
Chris is dead-on. Now, a large percentage of T1 guys do not run a national schedule, and at the regional level your travel expenses are lower due to mainly distance and the number of different tracks. An added bonus is that you can typically run a set of tires in 2 races instead of 1 and be competitive.
How many races in a "Regional" season???

And how do you qualify for the National runoffs?....they take so many from each region??
Old 06-20-2006, 02:13 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by plaster
So how does one go about getting sponsors, and what kind of percentage do they give you?
Any money if you actually win a race to help offset costs?
Something I am very interested in, but two grand a pop is not feasible right now.
I think Lou said it best. "The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a large fortune."

Sponsorship even on the professional level is very very hard to get. Most Guys pay there own way. Look at the Big sponsors names on the cars. Those sponsors, in most cases are the drivers, day job business that he owns.

Once you start WINNING at the National level, not necessarly regional races they may be some contigancey moneys or equipment. Or out right sponsorship. But that takes Winning Races.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:15 PM
NJCRUISER
Racer

How many races in a "Regional" season???

And how do you qualify for the National runoffs?....they take so many from each region??
You will need to do 4 regionals just to apply for a national license. Or you can pay for a Skip Barber course and go national right away which I do not recommend. Once racing at the national level you need 4 National races where you have finished to be eligible for the runoffs. They (SCCA) invite the top 10 from each Division to the runoffs. The NE division is the most populated in T1. Other divisions may have 5 0r 6 fierce competitors but they are all assured invites as the remaining 7 of 8 divisions have 10 or less drivers. NE is always hardfought to get entry with some 18 or more drivers going for top 10.

Last edited by NJCRUISER; 06-20-2006 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: $$$...COSTS to run entire T1 season???...$$$