Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemans on Speedvision - where did you get up to the minute C6R status reports

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 12:09 AM
cebars
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lemans on Speedvision - where did you get up to the minute C6R status reports

Congratultions to Corvette Racing.

What did you think about Speedvision's coverage of Lemans?

It seems to me that most people are not able to watch continuously for hours on end but rather check in for an hour or two to see what is happening. I was one of those checking in for an hour or two at various times during the race. Was it me missing too much of the race or was there a lack of on- screen data of positions, laps, lead / follow times provided by Speedvision? There was lots of commentary but not much hard data like one would find when watching F1 racing.

Was there less in-car and on-track camera coverage than was usual for coverage of a race. It seems to me that F1 on Speedvision is far superior than the coverage that they provided at Lemans.

I was confused to say the least by Speedvision's coverage of Lemans and it was too late before I started searching on line to find an alternate source of info.

How did you get your info on the up to the minute status of the GT1's and GT2's?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Watched a good majority of the race. But left the chronos sit up on the computer so I could glance at it. But the 1 - 2 position didn't change until late in the race. So it was no worry.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:16 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I watched the whole thing and listened to it while it was off TV.

You have to realize first that Speed has no control over the live feed, its monopolized by a French network, and its their graphics that usually come up (which are too small to read and rarely come up anyway). I desperately want Speed to get the raw feed from them and produce it themselves someday. Basically the only camera they have control of is the pit reporter's.

I've sent them several emails over the years complaining about the race coverage, nothing really changes. Too much coverage of P1, too little of P2 and GT2. Did you know that GT2 cars were on track until they wrecked or until Panoz and Porsche got into it? GT1 i think was fine this year, but I wouldve liked to see other cars besides C6R and AM. I like the coverage of our battle, but I like to hear that Lambo or those 550s sing too. No insight into the technology used in the cars besides the damn TDI. I wish they'd keep a 'bottom line' on the screen telling me laptimes and such, but in most cases that would probably be a waste, since gaps turn into several laps within a couple hours. In-car coverage was good for the most part, but the cameras only look at about 5 cars during the entire race unless there is a wreck.

Radio LeMans (radiolemans.com) has the best coverage of race events, those guys really know what they are doing, but they dont seem to hav e insight into how these cars work and I think they need a couple more color commentators instead of reporters and announcers. I left the chrono up just to check laptimes every hour or so.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:08 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

The other thing, as bad as you think it was, it's waaaaay better than watching Nascar.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:09 AM
micro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There wasn't enough coverage of privateer cars such as the new LMP2 Radical SR9, Saleen, Lambo, 550 Maranello, Team LNT's Panoz (until the very end when it took the lead and won!).

The coverage of where the cars were wasn't good enough.

I did like the Peugeot diesel V-12 news though.

check

http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans...hronos_gb.html

http://www.radiolemans.com/
Old 06-19-2006, 02:39 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

It was fine, except when Speed had technical difficulties when they came back after the 5 hour break. I just got done watching all of the coverage. I had it recorded on the dvr. I'm exhausted. I can't imagine how the drivers felt.

One thing that was nice was that the audio was much better this year when they switched over to Radio Le Mans. Last year, it sounded like I was listening to AM radio while watching the tv feed. It gets old quick when you have to listen to 3 hours of it.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched all 24hrs from this stream
http://www.premiere.de/premweb/cms/d...g_win_1000.jsp
Coverage was good for all classes, unfortunately it was in German, so I had the volume turned down and had Radio LeMans turned up and also had live timing and scoring from LeMans.org going. I'm sure my ISP hates me now, but that's why I have DSL. Didn't miss any of the action except for the nap I took around 0400-0600 local.

Get notified of new replies

To Lemans on Speedvision - where did you get up to the minute C6R status reports

Quick Reply: Lemans on Speedvision - where did you get up to the minute C6R status reports