Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First C6Z track day

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 09:22 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First C6Z track day

Took my C6Z to Pocono for two days (Fri and Sat) for the SCCA PDX. There were some good thing and some not-so-good things.

First, the car is f***ing awesome. 165 on the front straight, handles like a charm in the infield. Nothing there could touch it, including a Phoenix-prepared T-1 Z06. My C5Z was also at the track (driven by my Solo co-driver) and was a good measuring stick to evaluate the new car. No comparison: C6Z is one order of magnitude better.

The car has excellent manners running with Hoosier R6 tires, XP-12 pads on stock rotors and a compromise street/track alignment.

Did not take any lap times (in accordance with SCCA PDX rules), but I can assure you guys it ran at least competitive T-1 times. Shame John Shiels was not there top use his car for comparison.

I tried to get some oil out of the reservoir to lower the level as recommended by other Forum members, but was unable to get down to the oil with the tools at hand (turkey baster). No problem, the car puked oil into the intake until it reached the level it liked. Now I have to clean out the intake tract and make sure the lower pad has not become unglued. No problem at the track.

Also no problem with running wheels without TPS, although I never tried running with the electronic nannies in any mode. Ran with No TC/No AH from lap one. I don't wish to offend anyone, but this car is so well balanced that an experienced driver does not need nannies (no vicious handling traits like a 911).

The bad parts:
a) I was disappointed that the Carbotech XP-12s were dead meat by the end of the second day. I easily get 4 to 5 days with the Hawk DTC 70 pads in my C5Z.
b) Even more disappointing is the fact that ALL FOUR rotors have cracks emanating from the drilled holes. Those damned holes are there just for their bling factor, except that they make perfect stress concentration points. 4 rotors = $500. Damn!!!

The best part: The power just blows you away. When you can leave a tweaked-to-the-max T-1 car in the dust on acceleration, you know you have a potent car under you.

Can't wait to try this car in other tracks. It's going to be a fine summer.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Frank your new car was awesome at Pocono. I followed you into the infield section once and did all I could to hang with you and did pretty well (at least I thought I did) BUT when we headed out onto the big track, you were gone. Man that car can really accelerate and my car is no slouch. I was able to see 107 through the bowl, 115 exiting the bowl and 145 at the start/finish.

All in all, I was extremely impressed with my C5 being my first time out there and was just absolutely blown away with your C6-Z.

That car is astounding and the most amazing thing is that it's basically an off the showroom floor car (plus the R6's) that was clearly the fastest and best handling car at Pocono all weekend..

Thanks Frank for inviting us CCDV guys up there for this event. I know I can speak for JT-C6 as well as myself that we both had a ball and learned tons...

Below is a picture of JT with me coming up behind
Old 06-18-2006, 10:17 PM
xilr8n
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep it was fast. I don't know who was driving it at the time, (green/yellow session 4) but I followed it out onto the tunnel turn and pretty much held with it through the turn, shifted into 4th at 97 and pushed the pedal through the floorboard and just watched it drive away.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:54 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

man i wish I had the money to buy a new Z... (have 2 kids and a Wife)

But I am sure 500HP is a blast to drive on a road coarse...

I test drove my friends new modena 430 ( Canyon Racing ) and man I love that car..... But I am sure the Z is much better do drive considering it has 500 Hp and 500 Tq.....

Old 06-19-2006, 05:41 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry I could not make it. Your car sounds awesome & best of luck with it. I am sure we will hook up this year for some fun. Will be fun to see one go with an experienced & great driver Guess you need some of Gary's rotors.

Last edited by John Shiels; 06-19-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Frank Glad to read your post.

At Putnam the GM Z06s experienced the same problems

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj

The bad parts:
a) I was disappointed that the Carbotech XP-12s were dead meat by the end of the second day. I easily get 4 to 5 days with the Hawk DTC 70 pads in my C5Z.
b) Even more disappointing is the fact that ALL FOUR rotors have cracks emanating from the drilled holes. Those damned holes are there just for their bling factor, except that they make perfect stress concentration points. 4 rotors = $500. Damn!!!
Stock Pad wasted each day on most cars, stock rotors waisted in two days on all the cars, one day on two. Good thing we told them to bring extra pads and rotors.

and these were the engineers who designed the Z, not the brakes. Ok item one to look into.

OK GARY H. get the HARDBAR rotors out. ppl need them.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:25 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Frank Glad to read your post.

At Putnam the GM Z06s experienced the same problems

Stock Pad wasted each day on most cars, stock rotors waisted in two days on all the cars, one day on two. Good thing we told them to bring extra pads and rotors.

and these were the engineers who designed the Z, not the brakes. Ok item one to look into.

OK GARY H. get the HARDBAR rotors out. ppl need them.
OK, I know. I need them as well. I am waiting for my new pads in R43 compound (Wilwood H) from Porterfield. In testing (I know, what a novel concept, test before sale)the floating rotors had an issue with the rotor to hat interface.
BTW, we are shipping Hardbar harness bars, lap belt bars, and seat rails for race seats for the C6Z, even Camber kits and Delrin shift *****. The rotors are the longest test cycle, and after seeing Jeff Gordon, I will only release them when I would run them at 10/10ths. Available from us or Phoenix and soon, others.

Last edited by ghoffman; 06-19-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:30 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

13" when? Gary drop by for the Pocono long course in Aug.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:10 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by John Shiels
13" when? Gary drop by for the Pocono long course in Aug.
Soon, but after the 14's ship. When in August? What event? That is a long haul for me but perhaps I will.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:36 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Soon, but after the 14's ship. When in August? What event? That is a long haul for me but perhaps I will.
Gary, if you come to Pocono, I will make the trek up to see you and those floating rotors.

You have a sure customer here for the rotors. Please PM me as soon as you have pricing established.

Will I be able to buy them through Joe Aquilante?

Thanks,
Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-19-2006, 07:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

How were the were the temps on the car Frank and Gary?

http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/schedules/

Aug Grand slam weekend

Pocono Raceway, PA
Grand Slam Weekend Aug 18 All Three Courses Aug 19 Double Infield Aug 20 Single Infield
Friday, August 18th
Saturday, August 19th
Sunday, August 20th
$220 / $245
$250 / $275
$250 / $275

register now then they make your paid when it is near sold out they will send an email. Usually get some wild cars for the weekend Trans Am and the like.

Last edited by John Shiels; 06-19-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:39 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad someone had a good day!!! Man I am getting sick of constantly breaking down and having to fix this car. I spent 2.5 hours in the morning trying to work out a really bad toe-in issue, only to have it come back in the second session. Car felt loose as hell, couldn't get above 6/10th. Clutch pedal was sticking again, and couldn't get into 2nd gear for the devil's elbow. I was limited to 3rd and 4th, pulling the pedal out with my foot at 155mph while trying to heel/toe...it was like dancin with the stars, only I was getting voted OFF!

Finally my left rear keep going out of allignment. I would go in with decent toe and come out with tons of toe out, which is death at high speeds...

I could never get above 6/10th and finally the car jerked sideways at 140mph everytime I hit the brakes. It was the weirdest thing...I checked every damn bolt. It was time to call it quits before something bad happened.

I spend 5 hours of the day on stands and 20 minutes on the track...gotta love this damn sport.

Last edited by 95jersey; 06-19-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:33 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took my C6Z to Pocono for two days (Fri and Sat) for the SCCA PDX. There were some good thing and some not-so-good things.

First, the car is f***ing awesome. 165 on the front straight, handles like a charm in the infield. Nothing there could touch it, including a Phoenix-prepared T-1 Z06. My C5Z was also at the track (driven by my Solo co-driver) and was a good measuring stick to evaluate the new car. No comparison: C6Z is one order of magnitude better.

The car has excellent manners running with Hoosier R6 tires, XP-12 pads on stock rotors and a compromise street/track alignment.

Did not take any lap times (in accordance with SCCA PDX rules), but I can assure you guys it ran at least competitive T-1 times. Shame John Shiels was not there top use his car for comparison.

I tried to get some oil out of the reservoir to lower the level as recommended by other Forum members, but was unable to get down to the oil with the tools at hand (turkey baster). No problem, the car puked oil into the intake until it reached the level it liked. Now I have to clean out the intake tract and make sure the lower pad has not become unglued. No problem at the track.

Also no problem with running wheels without TPS, although I never tried running with the electronic nannies in any mode. Ran with No TC/No AH from lap one. I don't wish to offend anyone, but this car is so well balanced that an experienced driver does not need nannies (no vicious handling traits like a 911).

The bad parts:

The best part: The power just blows you away. When you can leave a tweaked-to-the-max T-1 car in the dust on acceleration, you know you have a potent car under you.

Can't wait to try this car in other tracks. It's going to be a fine summer.

Frank Gonzalez
Nice write up - cannot wait till the cars start coming off lease in a few years! Until then I will continue to work on my point by....
Old 06-20-2006, 06:27 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
How were the were the temps on the car Frank and Gary?
Water ran about 210, oil about 270.

If you mean inside the cockpit, it wasn't bad until Sunday afternoon, when the outside temps got into the 90s. Driving suit felt like an oven.

Frank
Old 06-20-2006, 06:37 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I'm glad someone had a good day!!! Man I am getting sick of constantly breaking down and having to fix this car. I spent 2.5 hours in the morning trying to work out a really bad toe-in issue, only to have it come back in the second session. Car felt loose as hell, couldn't get above 6/10th. Clutch pedal was sticking again, and couldn't get into 2nd gear for the devil's elbow. I was limited to 3rd and 4th, pulling the pedal out with my foot at 155mph while trying to heel/toe...it was like dancin with the stars, only I was getting voted OFF!

Finally my left rear keep going out of allignment. I would go in with decent toe and come out with tons of toe out, which is death at high speeds...

I could never get above 6/10th and finally the car jerked sideways at 140mph everytime I hit the brakes. It was the weirdest thing...I checked every damn bolt. It was time to call it quits before something bad happened.

I spend 5 hours of the day on stands and 20 minutes on the track...gotta love this damn sport.

I really felt for you. As I mentioned at the time, the A-arm excentrics have to be TIGHT. As I recall, the torque spec is 125 ft-lbs or something like that.

I suggest you get the beast to a GOOD alignment shop, have it set up correctly and then MARK each adjustment with a paint pen. That way if someting shifts you can put it back at the track without having to make a single measurement.
Toe-out at the rear will kill you. If toe was changing without camber changing, you need to take a real good look at the tie-rod ends, etc., to make sure they have no play. Double-check the A-arm rubber bushings. I have seen them shift and deteriorate (especially on older cars that have been abused - like my C5Z), which changes both camber and toe.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope you get to the bottom of the problem quickly.
Frank
Old 06-20-2006, 07:41 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

That is what the Hardbar camber kit does! With our kit that will absolutely never happen again! For $200, this problem goes away permanently.

Last edited by ghoffman; 06-20-2006 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:16 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Gary, if you come to Pocono, I will make the trek up to see you and those floating rotors.

You have a sure customer here for the rotors. Please PM me as soon as you have pricing established.

Will I be able to buy them through Joe Aquilante?

Thanks,
Frank Gonzalez
I haven't spoken to Joe about this but he saw them at NHIS on my car and liked them! The rev 2 version of the rotors themselves will be here this week. We had some hairline cracking in the floaters at the interface to the hat. The hats are bulletproof!

Get notified of new replies

To First C6Z track day

Old 06-20-2006, 05:44 PM
kingkyle
Advanced

HI... Your yellow z06 is a really beautiful car, I happen to have some cool video from behind you. Pocono Long is alot of fun for cars with BIG displacement like vettes.

I'm trying to decide between the C6 z06 and the GT3.

http://www.streamload.com/kingkyle/y...06yellowt1.wmv

I was in the black Evolution / black wheels.

Kyle
Old 06-20-2006, 07:05 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Water ran about 210, oil about 270.

If you mean inside the cockpit, it wasn't bad until Sunday afternoon, when the outside temps got into the 90s. Driving suit felt like an oven.

Frank
Temps with in bounds. Did you spank it hard Frank?
Old 06-20-2006, 07:08 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

How many miles on the car now Matt? Toe shouldn't change unless something is worn bad. It is a tease to watch everyone run as you wrench. Been there done that with plug wires and burned the crap out of my hands with the gloves.

Quick Reply: First C6Z track day