Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Drivetain Setup is best for Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 08:30 AM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Drivetain Setup is best for Autocross

I have an 03 with an A4. I am thinking about upgrading the differential in my car and possibly the TC. I'm wondering what other autocrossers are running. Currently I have the 3.15 gears and the stock converter. I am running in group 2 and I race about 6 weekends a summer. I am wanting to expand this schedule next year.

Current Upgrades already installed

Blackwing
Highflow Air Bridge
Smooth Coupler
LG Pro Header with highflow cats
Corsa Tiger shark Exhaust
Front and Rear Sway Bars

This setup on the Dyno pulled 332RWHP. Any other recomendations for upgrades would be appreciated. I was hoping to get to 360/370 RWHP but I can't figure out how to achieve this and stay in group 2 based on the rules for modifications.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:48 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a Vigilante 2400 stall converter on our car with 4.10 gears. The gears may be too steep for you for the street (cruising rpm in 4th will be high), but the converter works like a champ.

Vigilante converters are lighter (by almost 10lbs), and also one of the smallest diameter ones available (9.5" - stock is 10 or 11") Which really helps improve acceleration.

Depending on your rear gear, you could go up to a 2800 stall - but much higher than that, and you just break the tires loose when you get into the throttle and the converter flashes. The lower stall helps keep the driveline feeling really tight and connected, which is what you want for autocrossing.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:36 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

If anyone else has any information I would appreciate the info.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

If you are talking NCCC group 2, your best bet would be to get a callaway intake and sell the others. You want cold air to make more HP, then spend the rest on suspension and tires. If you have not lowered, adjusted rake. corner weight and aligned then do that first. Finally get a good tune, especially the low and mid range performance.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:09 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I am talking about NCCC I have talked to other autocrossers and they have upgraded the differentials in thier cars. I am just trying to plan and budget for the upgrades to my car that will make the most difference. I have already ordered wheels and tires.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:41 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

In our 00' Vert we run a 3K Vig and 3.42 gear..........perfect 2nd gear car. Very competitive with Z51 suspension
Our 00' Coupe 3.15 & stock stall.............perfect 1st gear car..but needs a stall, sway upgrades and 3.73s

Get notified of new replies

To What Drivetain Setup is best for Autocross

Quick Reply: What Drivetain Setup is best for Autocross