Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pocono Speed way Memorial Day

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Pocono Speed way Memorial Day

Well got out there and finally caught up with John S. His car of course was flying around the track mocking some of the much more expensive cars. Just shows that power is not the main key to driving fast.

I was in the Blue group and was not too happy with some of the people out there. I was nearly an inch from slamming into a yellow Porsche. As I waited for a point by the porsche decided that he would freely pass people. The porsche must have been about 3 cars behind me (all waiting for a point by) well I guess he didnt want to wait because when I got my point by about 1/4 the way down the back straight I went to pull around the car and guess what the porsche was right there. I caught him in the side view mirror. He did not see him in the rear view because he must have been in the blind spot. No point by from me or the person behind me (I asked the guy behind me after the session where the Porsche came from.)

I honestly don't see how some of these guys were in the blue group. I am not saying I am the best driver out there, but dam these guys were all over the place with some of the worse lines I ever saw. Great they all had fast cars on the straights, but their cornering skills were novice at best.

Anyway with some guys just jamming on their brakes in the middle of turns and no point bys I decided that possible injury to me or my car was not worth it so I packed it up.

I talked to the organizers of the event and they were really nice. My only complaint was if you are going to threaten the black flag then you have to use it. People saw that the flag was not being used so they did what they want.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:35 AM
Bad Machine
Melting Slicks

Location: Rude, Loud and Aggressive! ECS Twisted Racing, "How fast do ya wanna go?"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
Well got out there and finally caught up with John S. His car of course was flying around the track mocking some of the much more expensive cars. Just shows that power is not the main key to driving fast.

I was in the Blue group and was not too happy with some of the people out there. I was nearly an inch from slamming into a yellow Porsche. As I waited for a point by the porsche decided that he would freely pass people. The porsche must have been about 3 cars behind me (all waiting for a point by) well I guess he didnt want to wait because when I got my point by about 1/4 the way down the back straight I went to pull around the car and guess what the porsche was right there. I caught him in the side view mirror. He did not see him in the rear view because he must have been in the blind spot. No point by from me or the person behind me (I asked the guy behind me after the session where the Porsche came from.)

I honestly don't see how some of these guys were in the blue group. I am not saying I am the best driver out there, but dam these guys were all over the place with some of the worse lines I ever saw. Great they all had fast cars on the straights, but their cornering skills were novice at best.

Anyway with some guys just jamming on their brakes in the middle of turns and no point bys I decided that possible injury to me or my car was not worth it so I packed it up.

I talked to the organizers of the event and they were really nice. My only complaint was if you are going to threaten the black flag then you have to use it. People saw that the flag was not being used so they did what they want.
You already know how I feel about this Bob! After you left we (Doug and I) ripped it up pretty good for one more session. We staged for the last one but never made the track because a Ferrari (go figure) lost it on the first lap and slammed the tire barrier in the infield. So the lastnsession was cancelled. Other than that it was a great day, good fun and the cars are home in one piece! I will run on the track with you anytime! Safe and fast and I always new what you were gonna do either in front or behind!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:10 AM
sasnglass77
Race Director

First, it was nice meeting you and your group.

I do agree that yellow porsche was a menace. I went out in the Blue group with an instructor: Quentin Reese (challenge car #44) we got stuck behind that car. He was infact all over the track his lines were horrible as we discusssed in the car. I made it a point of talking to the track stewards (friends of mine). I do know they "talked" to him about the problems on and off the track. Personally, I would have kicked him off the track or send him back to a beginner group so he can "learn" the rules.
You were right to leave Bob, if you felt you or your car were being placed at jeopardy.

Laurie

Last edited by sasnglass77; 05-30-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

nice to meet you Laurie and thanks for all your help.

The Porsche was only one of the cars there were others too. I think people are just inconsiderate and think I can't let someone pass because that is a sign that I am slower.

Anytime I see a car that is faster than mine I let it go by because I want to see what lines that person is taking. Sometimes it is just HP that makes them faster, but many times a car with less HP has much better lines and I learn off that.

Bad Machine and myself after each session would talk about different lines that we took and why we took them. Then we would go back out and trade leader spots seeing which lines worked better. I found a line in the infield through the 2nd turn that I thought was much better than my line.

To me it is all about improving my driving ability and having fun. As mentioned at the track yesterday there are only a few people that ever go to the track and run their cars and I am glad to be part of that group.

I never thought I was the best driver out there and that is why I continue to go to Driving Schools and watch the drivers that are considered the best.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:30 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense to the organizers of this event, but this is why I don't attend this one! It is cool to drive around with exotic cars, but 95% of the drivers are HORRIBLE and UNSAFE. I went to this event once and it was the biggest experience in fustration. It wasn't worth the gas to get there.

Unfortunately, this is a 1 time a year event for a club that is 99% show and shine, but this in their 1 track day they do each year. So, you have guys that never go to the track except for this event. Most of us are use to the PDA, CART, BMW scene where most of the people attending the events are recurring HPDE'rs with years of experience.

Sorry to hear about the excercise fustration...if you come to the SCCA event in June, it is much better.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I have to say the guys from the Vette club were great and very helpful. They did walk around and talk to people about the point bys and we actually missed a session because they wanted to talk to everyone focusing on the Blue Group.

My major concern was more about safety for everyone. The more and more frustrated I got for not getting a point I found myself thinking about just passing which I know is just wrong. If I was thinking it though I am sure others were thinking it and that is when something bad could happen.

One thing I found confusing - the Steward said there was a huge range of ability in Blue group - from the low end to the top end. I would think with 4 groups plus the instructor group that there would have been less of a variance within a single group so I wonder how they detemine who is in which group.

A guy that comes out 1 time per year for 20 years has 20 track days which is completely different than a person that has 20 track days in the last 2 years.

With some of the other groups I have been with there has been plenty difference in the power cars have on the track, but the drivers seem to be closer in ability.

I am sending them a letter just stating some things that I noticed and we will see if that helps. This event could be a load of fun with all the different types of car on the track.

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Sorry to hear about the excercise fustration...if you come to the SCCA event in June, it is much better.

I am pretty sure that I will be at the June Event. running in reverse with the chicane sounds like fun.

Plus gives me a good reason to blow through this set of Hoosiers I have laying around.

After that I think I am going with the Goodyears. I saw Bad Machines tires this weekend and they looked like they really hooked....

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 05-30-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:15 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not the CCNEPA that are the culprits. It's the Italian Car Club they run with. Bunch of numbskulls. I look forward to seeing you in a couple weeks, as long as my car is running.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:06 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

My experience was a little different. I had a great day all around. The red group was well mannered. I did drive with the blue group once so I could give my student a ride. It was a bit crowded, and as already stated, had a great variability of experience betw drivers.
I want to thank Joe and CCNEPA for a quality event. The organization was great.
The only change I would make would be to make each session 5 minutes longer and give up one session at the end of the day.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:08 PM
GB'sZo6
Instructor

Default I went back !

I went back on Tuesday. I really like to the long course.
I didn't have the problems that the blue group guys had because I was running in the red. My biggest problem was trying stay with John S. He's one fast driver. Tuesday was pretty good. The Ferraris stayed on the track so there wasn't any down time.

The main thing that pissed me off was after lunch on Monday when the Ferrari gang brought some race machine and let it run around the track while the Ferrari guys got off. Why couldn't that have been done during a session ? In the mean time the majority of the participants were made to wait and the schedule was backed up big time.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I heard from a few that the RED group was good. Next year I should be in that group so then no more problems
Old 05-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Bad Machine
Melting Slicks

Location: Rude, Loud and Aggressive! ECS Twisted Racing, "How fast do ya wanna go?"

Originally Posted by GB'sZo6
I went back on Tuesday. I really like to the long course.
I didn't have the problems that the blue group guys had because I was running in the red. My biggest problem was trying stay with John S. He's one fast driver. Tuesday was pretty good. The Ferraris stayed on the track so there wasn't any down time.

The main thing that pissed me off was after lunch on Monday when the Ferrari gang brought some race machine and let it run around the track while the Ferrari guys got off. Why couldn't that have been done during a session ? In the mean time the majority of the participants were made to wait and the schedule was backed up big time.
Great to meet you and your wife this weekend. Troy said say hello to Jared( hope the spelling is right). He keeps asking when are we going to the track again so he can see him. Thanks again for your help.
Bob

Last edited by Bad Machine; 05-31-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Bad Machine
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
I heard from a few that the RED group was good. Next year I should be in that group so then no more problems
That's where we are going!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:37 PM
GB'sZo6
Instructor

Default Red is your color.

From what I was able to see of your driving abilities on Monday. I'm sure you guys could run red. Actually, I should re -state that comment. You guys should run red.

Except for maybe those ECS guys. They need a high horsepower Dodge Caravan so that they can carry about 6 instructors.

Bob
- Jared has been making the same comments concerning Troy. We have to meet at the track with the kids again.
GB
Old 05-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Old 05-30-2006, 09:29 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fun meeting everyone which is more than half the fun of the events.
Red group was not as crowed and decent on point-bys. Sessions were seven the first day and 8 today. It was like a fire drill. On track, off track with hardly enough time to change tires. 5 longer session would have been better. They should have thrown a few black flags as they said the would in regards to bad driving. Don't pull a gun if you can't pull the trigger. They will make changes next year in some of the areas which lacking. Thanks to the organizers in any case it is a lot of work. Joe L. from NEPA said he is open to any suggestions

Corded two tires pretty good on the inside of the tire and drivers side going mostly counter clockwise if you know what I mean . I never seem to figure out the slicks. Next is a recording tire pyro gauge. Gravel on the pit road which no one swept up punctured one of the slicks which was good. It made me realize the tires were ready to go real bad soon as they were well cored. I went around the gravel I thought.

Three sessions I didn't burn even 5 gallons they were so short. I fueled the car accordingly them one session and 1/2 tank didn't make it. I felt it stutter and pulled in the pits before I looked like a dope needing a tow. :o 133's were fast enough to put away all but one Ferrari. I was running the 275/315 tire combo and he pulled me on the banking. The bigger tires were better if I had them He had more steam down the straight also. Best time was a 129 from the white Le Mans car with the pin stripes. I have run 131 but not this weekend .

Greg / GB'sZO6 and I lined up to play finally, but as we were having a few laps of fun something in valve train let go. I was able to drive it on the trailer so it hopefully isn't real bad.

Then on the way home I heard a hissing sound after coming out from eating. I pulled the bolt out and plugged it. Then I filled it with air at a station. Driving home there was a guy screaming franticly and slapping the his hands together in a downward motion. I knew something was wrong I pulled over and the tire I pulled was shredded It was a bit scary changing it on the side of RT 80 with the trucks flying by and lifting my hat. Lucky it was the shoulder side of the trailer. I set up the safety triangles and had Edith watch traffic from the brush in case someone was going to hit us. I wanted one chance to take a flying leap if she screamed.

Great seeing everyone at my first event of the year.

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-30-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:19 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I was there as well.I ran in the white group.Same issues.No point by,
when you got the point then they wanted to drag race you.I noticed a lot of egos and I think a lot of people were not checking mirrors.You really had to pay attention on what was around you.We even had 2 Bmw's pass on the inside at the exit of turn one.3 wide.I was passing the car on the right with the point and they passed me on the left. Tues was much better.There were a lot less cars to deal with.I think in general they were many drivers not in the proper class group and many need to go back to the classroom to remember the rules since they can't remember the drivers meeting.
But I had a blast and the car ran flawlessly.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:51 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran in the white group as well, but only was there for Monday's sessions. Couldn't hang out for Tuesday (work before fun -- have to pay for this stuff somehow).

In the morning, I found the white group to be okay. In the afternoon, when they threw in the green group, it was a mess. A few of the green group had no idea what they were doing. One was driving a Mazaratti sedan. It was like he was out for a ride in the country. It got dangerous a few times when I came down the front straight really hauling, only to find a back-up in turn 1 with that sedan or another car going really slow.

Other than that, it was a fun day and the car performed flawlessly. I'm off to Lime Rock this weekend with the Jaguar club, and can't wait to see how it performs up there.

Get notified of new replies

To Pocono Speed way Memorial Day

Old 05-31-2006, 01:45 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

It did get bad with the green mixed in.Even tuesday we had cars going less than 100 in the straights and 30 in the infield. My buddy was in the green group and should have been in the white.They finally moved him up.But then they brought the whole green with him.
Good luck in limerock

Last edited by outnumbered; 05-31-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Al77Vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
I ran in the white group as well, but only was there for Monday's sessions. Couldn't hang out for Tuesday (work before fun -- have to pay for this stuff somehow).

In the morning, I found the white group to be okay. In the afternoon, when they threw in the green group, it was a mess. A few of the green group had no idea what they were doing. One was driving a Mazaratti sedan. It was like he was out for a ride in the country. It got dangerous a few times when I came down the front straight really hauling, only to find a back-up in turn 1 with that sedan or another car going really slow.

Other than that, it was a fun day and the car performed flawlessly. I'm off to Lime Rock this weekend with the Jaguar club, and can't wait to see how it performs up there.

That was me in the black C3 corvette behind the Mazaratti. My instructor would not let me pass without the point by. At the end of that lap he pitted and I pointed everyone else by. I would have to agree that the biggest problem of the day was combining the white and green groups.

Last edited by Al77Vette; 06-02-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

This has continually been one of the most unsafe events. I vowed never to return and have kept that promise. Thanks for the backup feedback. Looks like nothing has changed.

Quick Reply: Pocono Speed way Memorial Day