Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race seat sizing

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 03:42 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Race seat sizing

I've acquired a salvage Z06 to make into my dedicated track car (on the cheap, hopefully!)... One of the first things I'd like to do is install a race seat. I'm leaning towards a Sparco Evo or Evo2. I'm a big guy-- over 200lbs-- but I'm unsure if I should favor the Evo or Evo2, as I have an athletic build. As I understand it, the Evo2 is more for folks with a wider girth , and I have a relatively smaller waist than this. But, my shoulders are pretty broad, so I don't want them to be cramped either. Anyway, my dimensions:

6'2", 225lbs
35" waist
34" inseam
48" jacket size

To give you a better idea, here's a shot of me with the "rescued" Z:

So, what do you guys think? Will I fit in an Evo, or do I need the (harder-to-install) Evo2? Of course, I'll obviously want to find one or both of these to sit in and compare. But, any thoughts on which would be best? Is there any size adjustability in these, or do I either fit comfortably or not?

Thanks,
Fred

P.S. Kinda crazy-- the 2001 Z I bought was a Katrina victim, but shows very little as far as water damage goes. Once I put in a new battery and looked at the DIC came the real kicker: only 9632 miles on it.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:15 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

kirkey
Old 05-29-2006, 04:25 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by the blur
kirkey
Any specific reasons why? The Intermediate seats look pretty inexpensive, so that's good. Do they fit properly (assuming with a Hardbar bracket) without overly complex installation?
Old 05-29-2006, 04:25 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Sit down on the floor with your back agaist a wall, your legs straight out.
Put a 2x6x24" on each side of your hips, yet 90* to the wall.

Get those boards snugg agaist your hip bones.

Now stand up without moving the boards.

Measure the distance between the two 6x2x24 boards.

That is the width of the seat you need.

I use an 14" Ultra-Shield deluxe road race with Hard Bar seat rails
I like the Ultra shield as it has hip, rib and shoulder support plus it is alumium, not platic or carbon fiber.

www.racerwholesale.com has them

I am

6-2
195 lbs
35" inseam
34" waist

44 long sport coat

Last edited by AU N EGL; 05-29-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:16 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to hijack, but I figured another thread was useless -

Are there ANY seats that still work with the seatbelts for a mainly track but some street driven car?

thanks,
Jon
Old 05-29-2006, 07:25 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow01
Not to hijack, but I figured another thread was useless -

Are there ANY seats that still work with the seatbelts for a mainly track but some street driven car?

thanks,
Jon

I have a Corbeau Forza and they work fine with the belts.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Gasser
Instructor

I have owned both the EVO 2 and the Ultra shield. I was just a little loose in the evo 2 but would not fit all the way down in the evo. In the ultra shield I was in a 16 and fit perfect. When I buy my new seat for my new car, I will get an Ultrashield. Much better for a track car IMO. You will feel much more secure. They are a good price as well.

Go with the Ultrashield in a 16 but measure first to be sure. I think the 17 will be too wide. I put a 17 in the passenger side so I could accomidate more varied size drivers so you may buy both and then you can switch them out if you stop working out all the time and those pects settle on you A$$ when your 40 . I think I am rememberig those sizes right so make sure before orderieng.

I am 6'2 and vary between 215 and 230 depending on if I work out or not. Waist varies between 34 and 36.

Good luck

Jeff
Old 05-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by fhturner
Any specific reasons why? The Intermediate seats look pretty inexpensive, so that's good. Do they fit properly (assuming with a Hardbar bracket) without overly complex installation?
Last year I rode in a Z06 with two of the Intermediate seats mounted on C5 manual seat adjusters. Since they are made of aluminum Vs fiberglass they are probably head and tails above an Evo. They are great seats. As soon as we hit the track I knew I was going to enjoy the ride. They just held me in place better than I could have imagined and I did not have a steering wheel to hold onto. I believe the car owner had a B&K bar but can't remember for sure. He swaps the seats in everytime he goes to the track. The hardest part of swapping is the drivers stock seat since it is electric and has the wiring underneath where you have to monkey around with it to get it unplugged and then plugged back in when you swap the seat back into the car.

Bill
Old 05-29-2006, 11:39 PM
danswofford
Pro

I'd suggest a real race seat by Kirkey, Butler or Ultrashield. They also sell head and shoulder restraints and leg supports that work with their seats.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:58 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

I've acquired a salvage Z06 to make into my dedicated track car (on the cheap, hopefully!)... One of the first things I'd like to do is install a race seat. I'm leaning towards a Sparco Evo or Evo2. I'm a big guy-- over 200lbs-- but I'm unsure if I should favor the Evo or Evo2, as I have an athletic build. As I understand it, the Evo2 is more for folks with a wider girth , and I have a relatively smaller waist than this. But, my shoulders are pretty broad, so I don't want them to be cramped either. Anyway, my dimensions:

6'2", 225lbs
35" waist
34" inseam
48" jacket size

To give you a better idea, here's a shot of me with the "rescued" Z:

So, what do you guys think? Will I fit in an Evo, or do I need the (harder-to-install) Evo2? Of course, I'll obviously want to find one or both of these to sit in and compare. But, any thoughts on which would be best? Is there any size adjustability in these, or do I either fit comfortably or not?

Thanks,
Fred

P.S. Kinda crazy-- the 2001 Z I bought was a Katrina victim, but shows very little as far as water damage goes. Once I put in a new battery and looked at the DIC came the real kicker: only 9632 miles on it.
You are built very similiar to myself and I have tested many to come to the only conclusion of the SPARCO PRO 2000...for our build, I believe this is the best choice!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by danswofford
I'd suggest a real race seat by Kirkey, Butler or Ultrashield. They also sell head and shoulder restraints and leg supports that work with their seats.
I have the Ultra-Shield as I mentioned above. I also have 2 Butler Builts on order. Custom built to my size, but a long 5 month wait to get them.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big guy-- over 200lbs--
Fat ***!

You on crack to buy a flood car?

Good luck Fred
Old 05-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Vetracr
Pro

If its a track car only, go with a Kirkey. You'll find out why the first time you go through a corner hanging on to the wheel to keep you upright in your seat with a non rib bolster seat. FWIW.

Larry
Old 05-30-2006, 09:37 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kirkey for a track car. It is available in 15,16,17,18" and special order if needed.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:47 AM
fmrfast
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Sit down on the floor with your back agaist a wall, your legs straight out.
Put a 2x6x24" on each side of your hips, yet 90* to the wall.

Get those boards snugg agaist your hip bones.

Now stand up without moving the boards.

Measure the distance between the two 6x2x24 boards.

That is the width of the seat you need.

I use an 14" Ultra-Shield deluxe road race with Hard Bar seat rails
I like the Ultra shield as it has hip, rib and shoulder support plus it is alumium, not platic or carbon fiber.

www.racerwholesale.com has them

I am

6-2
195 lbs
35" inseam
34" waist

44 long sport coat
This is essentially the way I measure. Unless you can try one on. If this is a track car only after measuring I would go 1/2" narrower. Once on track you may start moving around a little. (I prefer no movement at all).
Remember when you measure wear your driver suit if you race or whatever clothing you normally wear it makes a difference.
I have an ultrashield roadrace seat in a C4
Old 05-31-2006, 06:47 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
You on crack to buy a flood car?
Yes...yes, I am...

Okay, so far, I count the following "votes":

Kirkey -- 4
Ultra-Shield -- 3
Sparco Pro 2000 -- 1

Of course, this is a highly unscientific poll, but I'm getting the feeling that the Kirkey or Ultra-Shield is the way to go. So, a few more questions:

1. Can anyone compare the Kirkey & Ultra-Shield to each other? Kirkey looks to be around $400; is the Ultra-Shield similar?
2. Can either of these be mounted without having to add 50% or more to the price of the seat (Hardbar mount is $200 or $300, I believe)?

Thanks,
Fred
Old 05-31-2006, 07:30 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fmrfast
This is essentially the way I measure. Unless you can try one on. If this is a track car only after measuring I would go 1/2" narrower. Once on track you may start moving around a little. (I prefer no movement at all).
Remember when you measure wear your driver suit if you race or whatever clothing you normally wear it makes a difference.
I have an ultrashield roadrace seat in a C4
Absolulty. My 14" wide seat is so tight if I ware jeans I dont fit not to mention if I have Keys or a wallet in a pockets. But when I have my suit on it is perfect.
I also took BFH to bend in the rib support and shoulder supports a little. I have to roll my shoulders forward to slide back into the seat. But once I am in no movment what so ever, just drive. and why I did not pic a big name plastic or carbon fiber seat.

The Ultra-Sheild Delux Road Race Seat is $372 plus $91 for the cover. Then the Hard bar rails for $300 or soo. No I think you need something like the hard bar rails.

Ultra sheild has a pro total support seat for $163 plus 87 for the cover

http://www.racerwholesale.com/index....5047adaa691250

Last edited by AU N EGL; 05-31-2006 at 07:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Race seat sizing

Old 05-31-2006, 07:30 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kirkey Deluxe is 600 or more. I had brackets made before Hardbar made them and 200 is a deal.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:08 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

We're voting? Heck . . . if that's the case, I vote Racetech -- I picked up a 4009WHR a bit ago, and it's been great. Worth every penny, even though it takes a little bit to get used to a head-restraint seat.

Regardless of the seat you go with, make sure you've got a good match for your intent (HPDE's, TT's, club racing, etc) and check to see if there's anything covering FIA certification -- I've seen a few requirements (SCCA and NASA w2w, for example) for non-FIA homologated seats to be braced to a roll structure.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:58 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

just don't get one of these seats!!!!

Quick Reply: Race seat sizing