Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wing design help needed.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:05 PM
danswofford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wing design help needed.

I want to fabricate a rear wing. Does anyone have an airfoil profile for me?
Dan
Old 05-29-2006, 04:19 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/FoilSim/index.html

Foilsim is the one you want.

download and try this applet. You'll want about a 10" wing length, 5-6' wide, and you can experiment with wing camber and thickness.

Probably want chord thickness around 10-15% of chord length. Play around with the program. It gives pressure gradiants, and gives total downforce. It is designed for aircraft, so put in negative angles and camber to make it a car wing.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:34 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Why not buy one that is already designed??

http://www.corvetteracebodies.com/corvetteracebod.htm
Old 05-29-2006, 06:14 PM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fabricated my own wing using a foam core/hot wire technique with a fiberglass overlay. I used a NACA 4415 airfoil with a 12 inch cord and a 4" fixed flap. It is 66" wide. I still have the Hotwire templates that I used to make the wing. If you are interested I could cut the cores for you and you could finish it yourself.
I decided to fab my own wing because I wanted a true airfoil that would have the lowest drag for a given down force. Most of the wings I see in the aftermarket are from the C5R program and are optomised for a coupe. My car is an FRC. It was a lot of work and I could not duplicate it for the price of an aftermarket wing.
I have used the wing on my C5 road race car for about 6 months and the car currently holds the Corvette track record for the West track at Firebird International Raceway, Phoenix, AZ. Send me your email and I will send you some pictures.
Shirl Dickey
Old 05-29-2006, 07:15 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by danswofford
I want to fabricate a rear wing. Does anyone have an airfoil profile for me?
Dan
Selig S1223

Old 05-29-2006, 11:42 PM
danswofford
Pro

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Why not buy one that is already designed??

Mostly I enjoy fabricating my own parts. I'm skilled with fiberglass and carbon fiber. It will be a challenge but not too hard. I just need a good airfoil.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:02 AM
danswofford
Pro

Originally Posted by MrEracer
I fabricated my own wing using a foam core/hot wire technique with a fiberglass overlay. I used a NACA 4415 airfoil with a 12 inch cord and a 4" fixed flap. It is 66" wide. I still have the Hotwire templates that I used to make the wing. If you are interested I could cut the cores for you and you could finish it yourself.
I decided to fab my own wing because I wanted a true airfoil that would have the lowest drag for a given down force. Most of the wings I see in the aftermarket are from the C5R program and are optomised for a coupe. My car is an FRC. It was a lot of work and I could not duplicate it for the price of an aftermarket wing.
I have used the wing on my C5 road race car for about 6 months and the car currently holds the Corvette track record for the West track at Firebird International Raceway, Phoenix, AZ. Send me your email and I will send you some pictures.
Shirl Dickey
You described the exact build method I'll use with the exception of carbon fiber in lieu of fiberglass. Send pics to dan@nextdayjumps.com
What spring rates are you using with the wing? A template emailed to me that I could print out and use to cut the hot wire template would work or a hard copy mailed to me would work as well. Is your "4" flap" the end piece that attached to the airfoil that keeps the high pressure side from rolling over to the low pressure side?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:15 AM
danswofford
Pro

Originally Posted by emf
Selig S1223

Interesting shape the trailing edge is so curved it is almost like a Gurney Lip. Probably works the same way.
Dan
Old 05-30-2006, 01:10 AM
danswofford
Pro

Originally Posted by emf
Selig S1223

Where did you get that airfoil shape? I've been comparing NACA4415 with Selig 1223 and the high pressure side is similar but the low pressure side is completely different.

I've been looking at every race car wing for months now and there sure is no concensus on design. Every possible shape is out there. Makes me wonder how much engineering goes into this stuff.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Are not Gurney Lips or Wicker Bills added to wings because the aerodynamic engineering was not perfect?? How many airplane wings do you see with Wicker Bills or Gurney Lips on?? NONE

Basic info: http://aerodyn.org/Annexes/Racing/hlifts.html
Old 05-30-2006, 11:14 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Gee, maybe that's why you'd want to use an airfoil that works LESS efficiently with a wickerbill.

Dan -- that profile is very similar to the wing on my car, as well as a few other cars I know. It's worked EXTREMELY well as a whole, although you'll likely want to re-tune front aero.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Are not Gurney Lips or Wicker Bills added to wings because the aerodynamic engineering was not perfect?? How many airplane wings do you see with Wicker Bills or Gurney Lips on?? NONE
I always thought that stuff was added because the size of the wings are limited by rules, just an easy way to get more downforce while still being in the rules
Old 05-30-2006, 11:53 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Yah I guess your right. Perfect aero may not be a good thing.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/techarticle1.htm

Video at http://www.planetofspeed.com/video/LeMansFlip.mpg
Old 05-30-2006, 12:36 PM
z060ntrack
Drifting

You might want to study some photo's of Lou Gigliotti's wing on his World Challenge C6. Yes it is limited by the rules but was developed and tested by Hardbar and has seen the inside of G.M.'s wind tunnel and we know by the results that it works.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:58 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Body parts and windtunnel photos, plus one wind tunnel video

Get notified of new replies

To Rear wing design help needed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear wing design help needed.