Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Tire Question Answered

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Need Tire Question Answered

I am going to NCM HPDE and just ordered 2 Kumho Ecsta MX for the rear of the car. These are NON runflats. I have GY runflats in the front. Will this cause any handling conflicts? I know all the scuttlebutt about GY tires but I am concerned with the runflats in front and the non runflats in back issue. TIA

Bob
Old 05-27-2006, 03:31 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
I am going to NCM HPDE and just ordered 2 Kumho Ecsta MX for the rear of the car. These are NON runflats. I have GY runflats in the front. Will this cause any handling conflicts? I know all the scuttlebutt about GY tires but I am concerned with the runflats in front and the non runflats in back issue. TIA

Bob
You will notice the rear feel like its cutting loose into Dead Bear and turn 9-10 at Putnam Park.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:12 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer

Bob
1. Your front RFs are probably quite a bit harder than they were when they were new.
2. Assuming you're running stock sizes, I think you'll find understeer in all conditions: corner entry, mid-corner, and corner exit.

But, you'll still have a blast!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-29-2006, 10:39 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
1. Your front RFs are probably quite a bit harder than they were when they were new.
2. Assuming you're running stock sizes, I think you'll find understeer in all conditions: corner entry, mid-corner, and corner exit.

But, you'll still have a blast!

Have a good one,
Mike

even if they brand new you will feel this in my opinion. The MXs have really amazing grip for a street tire when they get hot.

I have tracked on the gy emt and the MXs (never at the same time though) and the MXs are a much nicer grippier tire for track.

I think you'll be fine, but you won't handle at the 100% capability mark of the car.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:33 AM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by yellow01

even if they brand new you will feel this in my opinion. The MXs have really amazing grip for a street tire when they get hot.

I have tracked on the gy emt and the MXs (never at the same time though) and the MXs are a much nicer grippier tire for track.

I think you'll be fine, but you won't handle at the 100% capability mark of the car.
For dry HPDE track applications, I found the B.F. Goodrich T/A KD to be (hands down) the stickiest DOT street tire. They are as close to a R compound as you are going to get. I don't use them for One Lap because in the wet, I might as well be ice skating.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:37 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rudyarias
For dry HPDE track applications, I found the B.F. Goodrich T/A KD to be (hands down) the stickiest DOT street tire.
Yeah I've never tried those. The MXs were nice at $850 a set and I was quite pleased with that value. I got 3 full weekends plus a few random days before they got real hard (still have tread for continued street use). I've switched to R's this year - next weekend is my first time out, I can't wait (crossing my fingers for no rain).
Old 05-29-2006, 11:47 AM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by yellow01
Yeah I've never tried those. The MXs were nice at $850 a set and I was quite pleased with that value. I got 3 full weekends plus a few random days before they got real hard (still have tread for continued street use). I've switched to R's this year - next weekend is my first time out, I can't wait (crossing my fingers for no rain).
Have fun!

Get notified of new replies

To Need Tire Question Answered

Quick Reply: Need Tire Question Answered