Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTS-V Brakes on C5 revisited

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 01:39 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default CTS-V Brakes on C5 revisited

Its been a while but I was busy with some home improvement issues.

I picked up the Viper caliper and just eyeballing it I'd say it is a good chance it won't fit without a very agressive wheel change.

This caliper is huge, sits easily a .5 inch out from the C5 caliper on the wheel side.

Its a really nice piece for the money but by the time you factor in the wheel change your looking at an easier time with the LG setup.

If this can't be done for under 1K then the better choice still might be the LG Wildwood setup.

I'm basing this off of my aftermarker 18x9.5 Motorsport rims.

We'll see in a day or two when I have to time to take things apart.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:59 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to check fitiment with the lg package too. I have heard, don't know for myself, that the wilwoods will not fit under mosport rims due to the spoke clearance.

Just a heads-up for you to check ahead of time. You may need a spacer.

Old 05-27-2006, 04:57 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've seen, the big brake kits normally have the rotor slightly farther inboard than stock which will allow for additional caliper clearance.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:03 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

They'd have to from what I saw. The stock PBR caliper is very thin on the outside.

Will probably disassemble Monday and measure it up.

I heard about the issue with the LG kit and the wheels I have...I'm waiting for them to release the Z07 Motorsport in 18's Black/Polished, hopefully they might have better fitment.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I have a pair of Z06 style 18 x 9.5 wheels from House of Wheels. They will not fit over the LG Wilwood calipers. The spokes do not attach to the center of the wheel in the same manner as the OEM Z06 wheels and will not clear the caliper. The OEM spokes are mounted more to the outside of the wheel center and then sweep outward before bending back toward the inside of the wheel where they attach to the outer rim. The LG caliper fits nicely in the notch caused by the bend in the spokes. Saw another Z06 Saturday night with aftermarket chrome wheels and saw right away that those wheels would not fit either. As soon as you start to study them you can see the GM wheels are a much better design than the aftermarket wheels. Based on what I have seen with the C5 Z06 wheels I doubt that aftermarket C6 wheels will be made any better.

Bill
Old 05-30-2006, 11:23 AM
torchredfrc
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tested fitment of the CTS-V caliper yet? I'm very interested in knowing if they will fit behind factory Z wheels.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have a pair of Z06 style 18 x 9.5 wheels from House of Wheels. They will not fit over the LG Wilwood calipers. The spokes do not attach to the center of the wheel in the same manner as the OEM Z06 wheels and will not clear the caliper. The OEM spokes are mounted more to the outside of the wheel center and then sweep outward before bending back toward the inside of the wheel where they attach to the outer rim. The LG caliper fits nicely in the notch caused by the bend in the spokes. Saw another Z06 Saturday night with aftermarket chrome wheels and saw right away that those wheels would not fit either. As soon as you start to study them you can see the GM wheels are a much better design than the aftermarket wheels. Based on what I have seen with the C5 Z06 wheels I doubt that aftermarket C6 wheels will be made any better.

Bill

I run the same wheels with the LG/Wilwood kit. I wouldn't really call it an issue, they just need a spacer to fit right. ~$40 from CCW for 2 spacers and ~$40 from DRM for 10 longer studs and you're in business
Old 05-30-2006, 12:42 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Well I might have been wrong. I went back and looked at the photo's I took and in relation to the caliper its going to be close.

VERY close...so it will probably come down to wheel combo and if your interested in running a spacer or not.

Thats better than I originally thought. Best thing about these calipers is the bleed screw, its beefy, not more rounding off those itty bitty ones.

It was 92 outside yesterday and 105 in the garage, hope for cooler weather

Get notified of new replies

To CTS-V Brakes on C5 revisited

Quick Reply: CTS-V Brakes on C5 revisited