Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo RA-1 vs. Nitto 555 R2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 03:56 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyo RA-1 vs. Nitto 555 R2?

I've heard that these tires are very similar. Are there any differences though other than the tread pattern and name on the sidewall? If so, can someone please enlighten me?
Old 05-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Bob 33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question, and one that has not been satisfactorily answered. Aside from the noted difference in tread pattern, the Nitto has a shallower tread and is available in diferent sizes. The rubber compounds seems similar. Given that I seldom see Nittos at the track and see a lot of RA-1s, there is not much opportunity to contrast performance. But, perhaps, that, itself, is information.

Bob 33
Old 05-26-2006, 06:06 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bob 33
Good question, and one that has not been satisfactorily answered. Aside from the noted difference in tread pattern, the Nitto has a shallower tread and is available in diferent sizes. The rubber compounds seems similar. Given that I seldom see Nittos at the track and see a lot of RA-1s, there is not much opportunity to contrast performance. But, perhaps, that, itself, is information.

Bob 33
I believe that all of these tires have the same treadwear rating, so it doesn't make sense to me that one would last longer than the other.

That's funny that you see a lot of RA-1's at the track because I see mostly 555R2's.

As far as sizes, I thought that the RA-1's and the 555R2's were available in pretty much the same sizes for the stock Z06 wheels. The fronts are a 275 and the rears are a 305. The NT-01's are a 315 rear instead of a 305 rear.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:34 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

The biggest difference is the Nitto's are full tread to the cords. The Toyo RA1's have tread half deep. Then the last half, it's a slick to the cords.

Steve
Old 05-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Bob 33
Racer

Toyo RA-1s come with almost 8mm of tread. If, as noted above, Nittos have tread all the way to the cord, do they have far greater tread depth than the 8mm of the Toyos? If so, would this not make them more squirmy? Such issues are worth settling because, while I have heard good things about both cross-over tires, I have not heard a contrast by anyone who has used both.

Bob 33
Old 05-27-2006, 12:57 AM
TXCatalyst
Instructor

Doesn't Toyo own Nitto Tire company ?

In any case, since 2001, I've raced on four 315/35/17 Nitto DRAG RADIALS for autocross on an F-body and now my C5.

I've used the 275/40/17 555R drag radial and the 275/40/17 555R2 autocross tire and I can't tell a difference in an autocross setting.

For 3 years I raced a Camaro and then an STi and an Evo on Toyo RA1's and the tread wear is very similar and grip very similar.

We were getting 120 autocross runs out of one set of Toyo RA1's.

So, I think they are the best bang for the *buck* - never the grippiest like Kumho v710's - but when you're racing with marquee clubs - I like to have a whole lot of fun! I paid $176 a piece for 315/35/17 r-compounds (Nitto DR's)
Old 05-27-2006, 03:35 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I believe that all of these tires have the same treadwear rating, so it doesn't make sense to me that one would last longer than the other.

That's funny that you see a lot of RA-1's at the track because I see mostly 555R2's.

As far as sizes, I thought that the RA-1's and the 555R2's were available in pretty much the same sizes for the stock Z06 wheels. The fronts are a 275 and the rears are a 305. The NT-01's are a 315 rear instead of a 305 rear.
Unfortunately there is no set STANDARD for tire wear ratings. The ratings are set by each individual manufacturer. What may say 220 two different brands may not mean the same wear.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:54 PM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TXCatalyst
Doesn't Toyo own Nitto Tire company ?
thats what the owner of the tire shop was telling me when I got my R2's mounted last month.

Told me you run nittos on the truck and the vette...why not toyos...his arguement was toyo owns nitto......but for some reason which he can't even get an explanation for, he gets a much better deal on toyos than nittos when he buys them....and obviously could pass on a better deal to me.....guess next round ont eh Z06 is gonna be toyo's but their truck tires suck...
Old 05-27-2006, 11:05 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by undertaker
thats what the owner of the tire shop was telling me when I got my R2's mounted last month.

Told me you run nittos on the truck and the vette...why not toyos...his arguement was toyo owns nitto......but for some reason which he can't even get an explanation for, he gets a much better deal on toyos than nittos when he buys them....and obviously could pass on a better deal to me.....guess next round ont eh Z06 is gonna be toyo's but their truck tires suck...
Continental bought Toyo last year. I own a set of Proxies TS 1 on my Z16. They're okay as a street tire. The Firestone Wide Ovals on my One Lap Z06 are much grippier in the wet than the Toyos.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:17 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rudyarias
Unfortunately there is no set STANDARD for tire wear ratings. The ratings are set by each individual manufacturer. What may say 220 two different brands may not mean the same wear.
I realize that, but I figured that there might be some continuity considering that Toyo owns Nitto. I thought that it might be like comparing a wear rating on a Firestone and Bridgestone tire.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:19 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rudyarias
Continental bought Toyo last year. I own a set of Proxies TS 1 on my Z16. They're okay as a street tire. The Firestone Wide Ovals on my One Lap Z06 are much grippier in the wet than the Toyos.
How do the Firestone Wide Ovals compare to the OE GY F1 SC tires (wet and dry)? It looks like a great tire for a great price.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:23 AM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by xsiveone
How do the Firestone Wide Ovals compare to the OE GY F1 SC tires (wet and dry)? It looks like a great tire for a great price.
They are 100 times better than the OEM F1 SC tire especially in the wet. Once they get some wear and are heat cycled, in the dry very very predictable and sticky in the dry. As for dry HPDE track applications, I found the B.F. Goodrich T/A KD to be (hands down) the stickiest DOT street tire. They are as close to a R compound as you are going to get. I don't use them for One Lap because in the wet, I might as well be ice skating.

As far as wear ratings, with Bridgestone/Firestone they are the same wear ratings. Toyo owns Nitto but the tires are engineered separately and the wear rating standard used by the two companies are different.

Get notified of new replies

To Toyo RA-1 vs. Nitto 555 R2?

Quick Reply: Toyo RA-1 vs. Nitto 555 R2?