Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with assembling 410 Gears!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Foxrider 241
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with assembling 410 Gears!!!!!!!!!

Have 01' Z06 vette that i recently swapped out the 342 gears for a set of 410's and need help with setting up the gears for assembly and adjustment. Any suggestions? and has any one does this yet? thanks.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're asking about setting the engagement of the ring & pinion...most of us are scared to do that. Not that it's really technlogically complicated or requires excess voodoo, but it takes experience, some good measurement equipment and the patience to keep assembling, disassembling and reassembling etc.

Screw it up and you get a noisy rear end that will grind itself to bits long before it should.

I leave rear end assembly up to guys who know what they're doing.

It's not a black art...but it's a pretty grey art.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:07 AM
snaketr
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The C5 diff is not like the older diffs where you could do it in the garage without the special setup tools. On a C5 you will destroy it. Example the side cover has to have a .004 preload on the maincap side. It take a special tool for that, you are better off to leave this to someone who does it. If you destroy it, it is going to cost you more to replace it then to just have someone build it right the first time.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Coc5
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have installed 4.11s myself in my C5. I used Yukons and have around 10,000 on them. I have used Yukons for years and they have held up very well to the 6-71 blown 490 ci BBC in my play truck and other 4x4s. I did have to fabricate a special tool for the C5 installation. I will tell you one thing, if you don't have a lot of experience in setting up gears, do not attempt it.
These were the most pain in the *** gears I have ever set up. Nothing easy like the setup of the 4x4 gears I have done in the past 25 years. I can do a Dana gear setup in about 5 minutes. These gears took hours to get right. The C5 gear pattern is extremely sensitive to the smallest amount of adjustment. You also had better have a full set of different shims also.
So, if you have not done gears and are not really great performing a gear setup, do not attempt it as it takes special tools and patience.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with assembling 410 Gears!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Need help with assembling 410 Gears!!!!!!!!!