Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Houston autocross on June 4th

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 04:04 PM
dbirdz06
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Houston autocross on June 4th

Anyone planning on running the autocross on June 4th at the Gulf Greyhound Park? I'm planning on being there as a first time driver. I also plan on entering the rookie school on the 3rd. I'd like to find someone who has at least a couple of events under their belt to show me the ropes and give me a few tips and pointers.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:02 AM
aggie88
Drifting

Originally Posted by dbirdz06
Anyone planning on running the autocross on June 4th at the Gulf Greyhound Park? I'm planning on being there as a first time driver. I also plan on entering the rookie school on the 3rd. I'd like to find someone who has at least a couple of events under their belt to show me the ropes and give me a few tips and pointers.
I usually work the registration desk at the Houston events but will miss the June 4th event. By all means attend the school on the 3rd. At every event, there is an assigned novice instructor for the newbies. He/she will walk the course with you giving you tips and also will set you up in a ride before you take your first run. Houston has a really good AUTOX program and you will enjoy your experience. I have been there for over 15 years. Being its your first time, and everyone, yes everyone, has their first time, don't be afraid of what others think and just focus on getting through the course without mistakes. You can't get good times if you keep missing gates. There are not a whole lot of Z06s that come anymore but there is one really fast driver in a silver 01 Z06 - yes 01. Chat up any Vette drivers out there, they will be glad to help. Have fun and hope to see you next time!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:48 AM
dbirdz06
Le Mans Master

Thanks! I just registered for the school on the 3rd. I am very excited.
What class will I run in? Super Stock? I was reading in the rules and it looked as if cross-drilled rotors put you in a different class than stock, is that true? If that is the case would you recommend me removing my Baer Eradispeeds and installing solid rotors for the event? I will be on street tires with everything else stock other than a catback exhaust.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:57 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't bother changing rotors out, get your first autox done before you decide what class you might want to channel your self in. Crossdrilled rotors will bump you a class in most classes in NCCC. We started taking our crossdrilled off to stay in a mostly stock class, while doing that I;ve come across more than a few stories about crossdrilled cracking. One happened to a friend of mine in Denver, T-1 car doing high speed track day. Small crack that started at one of the holes,(and he saw it) He went ahead and ran it anyway. Rotor shattered, locked up front of car at over 100mph, rolled end over end a couple of times. I only put my crossdrilled on after season for street looks. But your probably running this event at relatively slower speed, don't worry, but keep checking those rotors!
Is this a SCCA event? If it is, do you have web site to check it out. I'm free this weekend, maybe some of my buds will like to try this.
Chuck Holden
Governor
San Jacinto Corvette Club, Houston
www.chucky713@aol.com
832-640-7006
Old 05-30-2006, 07:00 AM
aggie88
Drifting

Originally Posted by dbirdz06
Thanks! I just registered for the school on the 3rd. I am very excited.
What class will I run in? Super Stock? I was reading in the rules and it looked as if cross-drilled rotors put you in a different class than stock, is that true? If that is the case would you recommend me removing my Baer Eradispeeds and installing solid rotors for the event? I will be on street tires with everything else stock other than a catback exhaust.
Yes, for SS the only thing you can really do is cat back and a K&N filter, stock box of course. You can also do shocks, front sway bar and bushings, and tires. If you have the rotors on, you should be running in STA for street tires.

Since it is your first time, I would not sweat the class you will run in. You will get a raw time and a PAX time (click on event results). The PAX time is a handicap system that you can use to compare your times across classes. When you really get into it for the points and year end trophy, then hone in on the class you want to compete in and adjust your car appropriately.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:04 AM
aggie88
Drifting

Originally Posted by 97coupechuck
Don't bother changing rotors out, get your first autox done before you decide what class you might want to channel your self in. Crossdrilled rotors will bump you a class in most classes in NCCC. We started taking our crossdrilled off to stay in a mostly stock class, while doing that I;ve come across more than a few stories about crossdrilled cracking. One happened to a friend of mine in Denver, T-1 car doing high speed track day. Small crack that started at one of the holes,(and he saw it) He went ahead and ran it anyway. Rotor shattered, locked up front of car at over 100mph, rolled end over end a couple of times. I only put my crossdrilled on after season for street looks. But your probably running this event at relatively slower speed, don't worry, but keep checking those rotors!
Is this a SCCA event? If it is, do you have web site to check it out. I'm free this weekend, maybe some of my buds will like to try this.
Chuck Holden
Governor
San Jacinto Corvette Club, Houston
www.chucky713@aol.com
832-640-7006
http://houscca.com
Old 06-10-2006, 09:05 AM
aggie88
Drifting

First time? You are sandbagging right? (impressive times)

11/SS DERRELL BIRD 02 CHEVROLET CORVETTE
TIMES: 1) 60.903 2) 60.851 3) 60.695 4) 61.454( 1)

Here is the Z06 that runs regularly in Houston:
99/SS DENNY FEIGENSPAN 03 CHEVY VETTE Z06
TIMES: 1) 59.261( 1) 2) 56.388 3) 60.824( 1)

I wasn't there but your last run without the 2 second penalty would have been 59.454.

Hope to see you in July!

Last edited by aggie88; 06-10-2006 at 09:07 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Houston autocross on June 4th

Quick Reply: Houston autocross on June 4th