Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA at CMP Recap 5/20-5/21

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Phil Smith
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default PCA at CMP Recap 5/20-5/21

Had a great weekend with the Porsche Club at CMP. Typical class act. Hats off to Marty and his crew. Not too many Vettes at this event. Charlie Tew and Ryan Redpath (Oyishdog?) - the regulars, and 4 others including a C6 Z06. That new Z06 sounds great at full throttle heading for turn 1. It rained first thing Saturady morning but by my second session the track was dry. There were many familar faces and cars. Bobby the Mustang man was there with his huge rig and had a new pony in the stable. It was some Can Am special painted white with a blue stripe down the middle and that costs as much as a GT3. He was in my run group (black) and passed my butt pretty quickly.

Sunday was a super day. Sunny and warm. This was my first event on Kumho 710's and running a DRM stand alone water cooler. The oil never got above 259 the whole weekend. Thanks to Wally for helping with the install. It was realtively easy once we received the block adapter. Long story. I like the Kumho's better than Goodyear GS-CS. They are softer and seem to provide much better feel. Although I am sure I did not explore their limits.

I participated in the PCA instructors clinic on Friday during the Turn 1 event and had a great time role palying with other candidates. ( Just got an email that I passed and I am now certified) We got in 3 sessions split between our own car and our partners. The last session we were on our own so I had the chance to chase down a GT3. That sure is an awesome machine. But the Z is still the best bang for the buck!

Looking forward to the next event!

Phil
Old 05-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Ag-z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like fun, Phil! Congrats on the instructorship!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Congratulations on the PCA certification. Now things can be a little cheaper.

From what I heard, Bobby got one of those factory race car Mustangs. They race them in the grand am series. Just write a check and you're good to go. Bobby has so many fast cars, but I guess he got tired of them breaking down all the time so he went for the factory version.

I figured you like those 710's. They are a good tire.

What's your next event?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:50 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Congratulations on the PCA certification. Now things can be a little cheaper.

From what I heard, Bobby got one of those factory race car Mustangs. They race them in the grand am series. Just write a check and you're good to go. Bobby has so many fast cars, but I guess he got tired of them breaking down all the time so he went for the factory version.

I figured you like those 710's. They are a good tire.

What's your next event?
Soon you will be having the "free" $1000 weekends I have been having.

I ran with his FR500C with the SCMC in Mar/Apr - he must have gotten it broken in cause he was fast then but not ZO6 fast. He did break his AIX car that weekend also...

I heard Turn 3 ate another Boxster....
Old 05-24-2006, 04:58 AM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Congrats Phil on the National Porsche Instructor qualification. Nice....

See ya on the track.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:56 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Congrats on the new status Phil. Glad to hear about the oil temps staying under control. Don't forget to bring it back now that it has heat cycled a few times so we can check all the fittings.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:59 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the certification Phil!

Glad to hear the oil cooler is working. I have one event on mine and no leaks or issues at all. Will be giving it a hot weekend test this weekend at Roebling. I suspect 265 is a good number. Also glad you got it ironed out to have all the parts this time. Hope the pics helped some. Never did get around to writing instructions. Then again it ain't rocket science...

Graham
Old 05-24-2006, 06:51 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vms4evr
Congrats on the certification Phil!

Glad to hear the oil cooler is working. I have one event on mine and no leaks or issues at all. Will be giving it a hot weekend test this weekend at Roebling. I suspect 265 is a good number. Also glad you got it ironed out to have all the parts this time. Hope the pics helped some. Never did get around to writing instructions. Then again it ain't rocket science...

Graham

I hit 298 in my stock LS1 last weekend - will have to see how the LS6 does this weekend..

jeff
Old 05-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Phil Smith
Racer

Jody,

Thanks.

I do like the 710's. My next event looks like CMP with NASA on 7/15-7/16. I was hoping to do VIR Full in July or August but I don't see anything out there. Also will probably do Road Atlanta in August.

Did you find a T1 yet? I talked to Mike on Saturday and he sounds interested in your Z.

What is your next event?

Phil
Old 05-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Phil Smith
Racer

Originally Posted by Ag-z06
Sounds like fun, Phil! Congrats on the instructorship!
Thanks Adam.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Phil Smith
Racer

Originally Posted by varkwso
Soon you will be having the "free" $1000 weekends I have been having.

I ran with his FR500C with the SCMC in Mar/Apr - he must have gotten it broken in cause he was fast then but not ZO6 fast. He did break his AIX car that weekend also...

I heard Turn 3 ate another Boxster....
Jeff,

I know what you mean about free weekends. Between gas, tires, brake pads & fluid, and meals it still is expensive. Should have stayed with golf but no turning back now.

You are right about turn 3 - it ate a Boxster. Passenger side was pretty well banged up as well right front bumper and right rear bumper.
They closed the track for a while to repair the tire wall. We did however get back on schedule.

That turn always has my full respect.

Hope to see you soon.

Phil
Old 05-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Phil Smith
Racer

Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR
Congrats on the new status Phil. Glad to hear about the oil temps staying under control. Don't forget to bring it back now that it has heat cycled a few times so we can check all the fittings.
Wally,

Thanks for the offer of checking the fittings. I was really pleased with the oil temp. One less things to worry about.

Is the engine back in Butt Ugly?

See you at the BBQ.

Phil
Old 05-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Phil Smith
Racer

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
Congrats Phil on the National Porsche Instructor qualification. Nice....

See ya on the track.
Thanks Mark.

Phil
Old 05-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Phil Smith
Racer

Graham,

Thanks.

The oil cooler was not to difficult to install. It certainly helps to have friends with a lift. It makes it a lot easier. I didn't trim the air dam and I can see where that could be a potential problem. That's on the "to do"
list.

Have a great time at RR.

Phil
Old 05-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Phil Smith
Jody,

Thanks.

I do like the 710's. My next event looks like CMP with NASA on 7/15-7/16. I was hoping to do VIR Full in July or August but I don't see anything out there. Also will probably do Road Atlanta in August.

Did you find a T1 yet? I talked to Mike on Saturday and he sounds interested in your Z.

What is your next event?

Phil
Chin Motorsports has VIR full on July 3rd & 4th. I'll be there with a bunch of other guys from here on the forum.

I'll also be at CMP with NASA in mid july.

Mike is a helluva nice guy. He's a Chevy man at heart and wants to get back in one. He and I talked about him buying my Z. It'd be good if we could work a deal so I can get in to a T1.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Ag-z06
Racer

Originally Posted by Falcon
Chin Motorsports has VIR full on July 3rd & 4th. I'll be there with a bunch of other guys from here on the forum.
Talking with my father to see if we might make this one. I may come out of semi-retirement, but it'll take some doing to convince the wife.
I just sold my CCWs and slicks, bought a brand new set of F1 Supercars that will replace the very tired originals, and I'd hate to tear them all up at the track. Is it possible to run the track and just take it easy? It's like having just one potato chip - I don't think I could restrain myself....
Old 05-24-2006, 11:47 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by varkwso
I hit 298 in my stock LS1 last weekend - will have to see how the LS6 does this weekend..

jeff
Last year at RR I hit 280s running it hard in 3rd with 90deg weather. A few laps in 4th and it cooled back down. It's just too much fun to run 3rd. With the DRM oil cooler I'm hoping that 265 will be about max. If it gets over 270 I'll be upset. I'll let you know after a couple of sessions Saturday.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:59 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Phil Smith
Had a great weekend with the Porsche Club at CMP. Typical class act. Hats off to Marty and his crew. Not too many Vettes at this event. Charlie Tew and Ryan Redpath (Oyishdog?) - the regulars, and 4 others including a C6 Z06. That new Z06 sounds great at full throttle heading for turn 1. It rained first thing Saturady morning but by my second session the track was dry. There were many familar faces and cars. Bobby the Mustang man was there with his huge rig and had a new pony in the stable. It was some Can Am special painted white with a blue stripe down the middle and that costs as much as a GT3. He was in my run group (black) and passed my butt pretty quickly.

Sunday was a super day. Sunny and warm. This was my first event on Kumho 710's and running a DRM stand alone water cooler. The oil never got above 259 the whole weekend. Thanks to Wally for helping with the install. It was realtively easy once we received the block adapter. Long story. I like the Kumho's better than Goodyear GS-CS. They are softer and seem to provide much better feel. Although I am sure I did not explore their limits.

I participated in the PCA instructors clinic on Friday during the Turn 1 event and had a great time role palying with other candidates. ( Just got an email that I passed and I am now certified) We got in 3 sessions split between our own car and our partners. The last session we were on our own so I had the chance to chase down a GT3. That sure is an awesome machine. But the Z is still the best bang for the buck!

Looking forward to the next event!

Phil
It was a nice weekend...for about 1.5 sessions One wet session (on slicks) and .5 dry...then the car broke - valve spring broke on cyl 3 and somehow caused the PCM to shut down 5 of 8 cyl! The car is fixed and running smoother then before...I have no valvetrain noise, which is surprising since my car was noisey from day one - thanks to Terry Labonte Chevy for a one day turnaround! I know most people hate dealships, but labonte has done great work on my car without any questions.

now i really cant wait for june mazda...i need to get my fill from missing last weekend.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
It was a nice weekend...for about 1.5 sessions One wet session (on slicks) and .5 dry...then the car broke - valve spring broke on cyl 3 and somehow caused the PCM to shut down 5 of 8 cyl! The car is fixed and running smoother then before...I have no valvetrain noise, which is surprising since my car was noisey from day one - thanks to Terry Labonte Chevy for a one day turnaround! I know most people hate dealships, but labonte has done great work on my car without any questions.

now i really cant wait for june mazda...i need to get my fill from missing last weekend.
That's gotta be frustrating. Glad it worked out ok. A broken valve spring could have been catastrophic!

Get notified of new replies

To PCA at CMP Recap 5/20-5/21

Quick Reply: PCA at CMP Recap 5/20-5/21