Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE, AutoX and Street tires

Old 05-23-2006, 04:15 PM
mothersworry
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HPDE, AutoX and Street tires

I am just getting my 92 C4 back together after a 2 year rebuild. I am going to be doing HPDE, autox and occasional street driving. Is there a tire that would work across these conditions? I am just starting to learn to drive this car and have not found the limit yet, so I am not looking for ever ounce out of a tire. The wheels I have chosen are 275 - 17 fronts and 315 17 rears. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:31 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

mothersworry:

Based on your comments, I would suggest the Kumho Victoracer V700s. Priced right. In the sizes you're looking for. Would need to be shaved to 4/32" for HPDEs. Very good durability.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:55 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would go with the Kumho MX Ultra High Performance street tire. This is a great dry-weather street tire and can easily be used for track days and autocross until you get enough seat time to change and go with race rubber.

I run MX's on my 87 for track days and they have great traction when warmed up (takes a couple laps at moderate speeds) and are very predictable. For autocross use they work great even for slow speed courses.

Because they are a street tire, you would have no problems with legal tread depth and you can drive anywhere on them. I have about 8000 miles on mine with a half-dozen track days and they have yet to reach down to 50% tread life.

They may not be the best for wet roads, but they do work as long as you don't become too agressive.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

I would check out the Toyo RA-1, Nitto NT555RII, or Nitto NT-01 as streetble track tires, but for a trackable street tire check out the Kumho MX
Old 05-24-2006, 08:03 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Originally Posted by Lancer033
I would check out the Toyo RA-1, Nitto NT555RII, or Nitto NT-01 as streetble track tires, but for a trackable street tire check out the Kumho MX

But the Toyos and NT555RII would be fine for the street, too, if you weren't putting many miles on them.

My experience with the MXs is that they are way too noisy, right out of the box, and not very well built. My set developed bubbles in the sidewalls. FWIW.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:15 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add another vote for the Kumho Ecsta MX. I've only been running mine a couple months but have run 3 a/x's on them so far and about a 1000 street miles and have been happy with them so far. I can't wait to try them at a track day!

A good aligment on your C4 will help you get a touch more out of the tires, even at your current skill level. IMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE, AutoX and Street tires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HPDE, AutoX and Street tires