Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wHERE'S tOO tALL?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wHERE'S tOO tALL?

Anyone heard from Too Tall lately? last i remember he cwas having an engine issue - and it seems as if he has disappeared! we thought we would see him at the NASA days at the Larry Miller / Utah track this past weekend - but he was a no show!

Carl Johansson
Old 05-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Johansson
Anyone heard from Too Tall lately? last i remember he cwas having an engine issue - and it seems as if he has disappeared! we thought we would see him at the NASA days at the Larry Miller / Utah track this past weekend - but he was a no show!

Carl Johansson
Way tooo Tall Bob was at Club Spring Mountain this past weekend with the MINI.His Z will be down for awhile.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z11409
Way tooo Tall Bob was at Club Spring Mountain this past weekend with the MINI.His Z will be down for awhile.

Bob in a Mini!
Old 05-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Carl!
Haven't disappeared....just having some things done to the car:
Got a rollbar installed this week, and it's going to A&A next week for a little tuning work and to get the trans swapped out: I blew third gear at SM last month so it's been a dead-player.

Don't worry, I've got LOTS of track dates all planned for this summer!

Yep, took the Wife's MINI to SM last weekend and proceeded to destroy the rear tires on it on Saturday, and since nobody in town had the right sizes, I had to resort to driving something else on Sunday:

Go look at www.arielatom.com
then go to: "Showroom", then watch the "Video".....it's incredible!
And yes, it is every bit as fast as they said it was! WOW!!
Old 05-27-2006, 11:25 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Dayum Bob, that looks like a fun ride!

Cage? to what degree? 3rd gear huh...I've decided to go with a rockland(but not straight cut)...pix if you have them and what happened to my video's? I'll trade you, pix of my build for...

Ed
Old 05-27-2006, 11:26 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Hey, got any slicks for that beast yet?
Old 05-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

Slicks for which one?...Mini or Z06??

Just a 6 pt. rollbar behind the seat. We looked into doing a full cage but it would intrude into my "leg area", if you know what I mean?

About that Ariel: Yes, it was a fun ride, indeed. The one I drove had a 220 hp GM supercharged engine from the new Cobalt which is very torquey compared to what they were using with the Honda. They can get up to 300 hp out of that GM engine. They say about 0-60 in under 3 seconds...all I know is that it was "FAST"!!! Was able to keep many of the Radicals in sight on street tires without really pushing it too much. (Afterall, it wasn't MY car!)

That car weighs about 1,100 lbs, so power-to-weight would be like almost 700 hp in a Vette, but at 1/3rd the weight for cornering. The things weighs so little that it was basically a "point-and-shoot" kind of car to drive. All I had to do was "Think" about where I wanted to be in a corner, and I was there. I could make mid-corner corrections without any hint of quirkyness. I took Jeanine out for about 15 minutes and she said that it was the funnest car she had ever been in.

Last edited by Too Tall Bob; 05-27-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

see Bob - when they said Mini - I was thinking Cooper - I thought you had gone over to the dark side!

Any idea of what one of those would cost? whats SCCA going to do with em?

Carl
Old 05-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AMERICANMUSL
Hey, got any slicks for that beast yet?
Slicks(GY) and lots of Toyo factory shaved.Tires are a natural resource--a credit card makes them grow back.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Carl Johansson
see Bob - when they said Mini - I was thinking Cooper - I thought you had gone over to the dark side!

Any idea of what one of those would cost? whats SCCA going to do with em?

Carl
$43K and change--Street legal in many states
Old 05-27-2006, 07:39 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

[QUOTE=Too Tall Bob]Slicks for which one?...Mini or Z06??

That car weighs about 1,100 lbs, so power-to-weight would be like almost 700 hp in a Vette,

Was actually talking to Mike...but since you asked, the Z of course!

Well then, my hybrid Warhawk short stroker/big bore 8500rpm eng should be able to keep up then!]
Old 05-27-2006, 07:43 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Slicks(GY) and lots of Toyo factory shaved.Tires are a natural resource--a credit card makes them grow back.
Hehehe! Very nice...looking forward to seeing you guys in Nov...getting quite itchy lately and playing alot of PS2 GT4 but it's only a 1/16th of the rush!
Old 05-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

$43K and change--Street legal in many states
I had heard the $43K figure thrown around on Sunday too, but when I called Ariel in Oregon for more info, they told me that that particular car was more like $53K. Prices range from $40K to $80K depending on modifications and options. At $43K, I might have considered looking at one, but at $53K plus the upgrades that I would want, I'll stick with the Vette.

Ed:
Speaking of racing sims, have I told you about mine yet?

BTW, that was Charles that took that pic above.

Last edited by Too Tall Bob; 05-27-2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:14 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

[.

Ed:
Speaking of racing sims, have I told you about mine yet?

BTW, that was Charles that took that pic above.[/QUOTE]

Do tell!!!
Old 05-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Janet Curran
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by Too Tall Bob
About that Ariel: Yes, it was a fun ride, indeed. The one I drove had a 220 hp GM supercharged engine from the new Cobalt which is very torquey compared to what they were using with the Honda. They can get up to 300 hp out of that GM engine. They say about 0-60 in under 3 seconds...all I know is that it was "FAST"!!! Was able to keep many of the Radicals in sight on street tires without really pushing it too much. (Afterall, it wasn't MY car!)

That car weighs about 1,100 lbs, so power-to-weight would be like almost 700 hp in a Vette, but at 1/3rd the weight for cornering. The things weighs so little that it was basically a "point-and-shoot" kind of car to drive. All I had to do was "Think" about where I wanted to be in a corner, and I was there. I could make mid-corner corrections without any hint of quirkyness. I took Jeanine out for about 15 minutes and she said that it was the funnest car she had ever been in.
That does it, I'm going to give it a try IF I can reach the pedals. The passenger harness didn't tighten small enough for me, so I'll have to find some way to tighten up the drivers harness. That Ariel is becoming very popular so me next.

Janet
Old 05-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Originally Posted by Too Tall Bob
I had heard the $43K figure thrown around on Sunday too, but when I called Ariel in Oregon for more info, they told me that that particular car was more like $53K. Prices range from $40K to $80K depending on modifications and options. At $43K, I might have considered looking at one, but at $53K plus the upgrades that I would want, I'll stick with the Vette.
I went to their website and got a password. 43K will give you a 205 hp motor and regular brakes - no turn signals etc. You want race track brakes your looking at another 3500 (I think I am remembering right) the high HP motor is anothe 5-10K depending on what you want.
anyway you cyberbuild the car you want - and watch the price add up!

They did mention some sort of roller deal - where you put in the engine and drive system - I'm not clear on that deal yet!

Carl
Old 05-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

Carl,
Back to your original question:
I will be at Spring Mtn. on June 17/18, then to Miller Motorsports on June 24/25.

Janet,
I'll bring the phone book for you to sit on!

Get notified of new replies

To wHERE'S tOO tALL?

Quick Reply: wHERE'S tOO tALL?