Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuhmo V710s and AH/TC Problems???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 02:22 PM
mryaknow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kuhmo V710s and AH/TC Problems???

Has anyone experienced problems with their AH/TC and V710s on a 2004 Z06?

I just started running V710s (275 frt 315 rear) and I drove on them to a local event Sunday. I was on the freeway going around a long sweeper at 70mph and the Traction Control/Active Handling message appeared on the DIC. I felt the steering get heavy. It felt like it was applying the brake in one of the corners, as if it thought the car was sliding, but I was no where close to the limits. I turned off the system for the rest of the drive.

I've heard that changing the tire diameters would do this, but I thought the V710s stagger front to rear was close to the same ratio as the OEM tires.

Has anyone else experienced this???
Old 05-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

I've heard that the computer can think you're sliding when you are not close to the limits of track tires because the computer detects the G-load and knows that with street tires there is know way you could get traction.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been running that combo on an 04 Z0r for a couple of years and have never had a problem. Mine is used on the track only, so I don't know about the street, if that makes any difference.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:34 PM
mryaknow
Advanced

Thanks for your responses.

I wasn't pushing the car at all. I was just driving normally to an autocross event. I would have been going the same speed in my station wagon with my family in the car. That's why I thought it was so strange. Maybe I have a sensor problem in the AH/TC?

I guess I'll just turn off AH/TC when going to events with the V710s on the car. Or better yet get a trailer and a hitch like everyone else.

Thanks again
Old 05-23-2006, 05:28 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mryaknow
Or better yet get a trailer and a hitch like everyone else.

Not like everyone else. I too drive on my V710's to all events. 140 miles round trip.

Steve
Old 05-23-2006, 05:58 PM
mryaknow
Advanced

Hi Steve

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Are you autocrossing? If so, how many runs do you get out of a set of tires?

Do you think the tires performance drops off much faster due to the added mileage/heat cycling???
Old 05-23-2006, 07:55 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I was driving to an event this weekend on my 315 GS-CS 315 Victoracers and about an hour into the drive the traction control was activating intermittantly while cruising at 75. Every time I would lift, it would go back to normal power. It felt like brakes dragging, but I think it was just reduced power.

TC came on again in practice while running in the comp mode so I switched everything off.

It didn't happen at all on the drive home. I just checked and it didn't throw any codes.

I'm beginning to think it might be the corroded/loose pin connector disease.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:42 AM
mryaknow
Advanced

That sounds very similar to what I experienced. Please let me know if you find a bad connector or something. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Jess03Z06
Advanced

I ran v710s with the same widths as you at Putnam Park last weekend. I had no issues. I ran i comp mode most of the time. I forgot to set comp mode once it was braking and thwarting acceleration before i felt anything. I think it was confused but nothing like activating just driving in the warm up lap.

When i was at Blackhawk, I saw a C6 with a mixed set of R compounds, pilot sports and nittos of all things, and he had to take them off. His DSC just went berserk on him. He even took it for a drive outside of the track and it was activating just driving down the road. Never found out what was wrong.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:33 PM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had the same problem on my 97 . When I went to 17" wheels, both on street and V710s on track, had to turn OFF AH/TC. Apparantely computer picks up slight change in dia and actually applies brakes and reduces power (pushes back on accelerator) until you reach 35 to 45 mph then it levels off.
That C6 at blackhawk scares me because my little new stock C6 is looking better and better as a part time race car under my new club "Warranteed Racing" In shop now putting on Z flairs and I have a set of HRE19" all the way around to go on it. And I'm thinking of tracking it a little, and I gotta think about going thru process of getting wheels and r tires for it. Already tried putting my 17" race tires on, no go in front cause Z-51 larger brakes I guess. So now what? buy more tires? 18" on front and use the 17" on back? Gotta go build that tire rack in garage.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:48 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mryaknow
Hi Steve

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Are you autocrossing? If so, how many runs do you get out of a set of tires?

Do you think the tires performance drops off much faster due to the added mileage/heat cycling???
Yes, I'm autocrossing. I probably drove to 15 events. 185 laps on them. About 1/32 left. I just put on brand new tires last week and could not tell any difference in handling. Seem to slide just as easy as before. Before I took them off at 185 laps I drove to Willow Springs and put in a whole day on them. They were horrible. My Toyo RA1 tires that I used the next day were much better. The last few autocrosses I even had 1/2" toe in, in the back. I think these tires can take a lot of abuse and still hook up.

Steve
Old 05-24-2006, 04:15 PM
mryaknow
Advanced

I probably drove to 15 events. 185 laps on them. About 1/32 left. I just put on brand new tires last week and could not tell any difference in handling.
Thanks Steve that's what I was hoping you would say.

Thanks also to everyone who responded. It's very interesting reading everyone's experiences.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:08 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by 97coupechuck
When I went to 17" wheels, both on street and V710s on track, had to turn OFF AH/TC. Apparantely computer picks up slight change in dia and actually applies brakes and reduces power (pushes back on accelerator) until you reach 35 to 45 mph then it levels off..
Actually, what happens is that the rear tires are slightly smaller in diameter than the stock rears, relative to the front tire diameters. The computer translates this into wheel spin, and reduces power. On the '97 there isn't AH, only TC, but when it pulls power it pulls a bunch!

HTH, and have a good one.

Mike
Old 05-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I run the 275 front 315 rear combination on my 03Z with no issues. I have been running the combination since 2000 when I went to it on my 97. The 97 would run nicely without activating TC and the Z responded in the same manner. The 275/315 combo gives you equal diameters front and rear.

Bill
Old 06-13-2006, 11:37 AM
mryaknow
Advanced

Default UPDATE: Loose Camber bolt caused TC/AH Problems

Well, it seems that my problems with my TC/AH were not a result of the tires after all. I found after switching back to the street tires I was still activating the Active Handling on the freeway. Then I got the dreaded "Service Active Handling" message. In hard corners I could hear and feel some motion in the suspension and the Active Handling would immediately engage. Then I noticed the car was pulling to one side also. Since I just had the car aligned I took it back and they found that there was a camber bolt that wasn't fully tightend. They re-aligned the car and I've driven it for about 150 miles without any problems. Hopefully this has solved the problem. Again thanks to everyone that posted responses.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:19 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Thanks for getting back with us on the discovery.

Have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Kuhmo V710s and AH/TC Problems???

Quick Reply: Kuhmo V710s and AH/TC Problems???