Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6spd tranny HOT

Old 05-23-2006, 01:30 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 6spd tranny HOT

On a track day I found out my 6spd is running way hot. (compared it with friends 04 Z-06) Running Amsoil tranny lube. Thinking of putting on manual tranny cooler. Any advice out there? Also, how can I install temp gage for same?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:39 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Several ways you can handle it. One way is to get an automatic tranny cooling unit and an electric fuel pump and make your own design cooler. Another is to buy the GM Performance Parts T1 cooler kit and plumb it in. The T1 kit has a pump, thermostat, wiring, hoses and cooler and is designed to fit right in to the car. I have the T1 kit and like it. Another way is to see if you can adapt the cooler that comes with the C6 Z51 cars. That cooler uses the dead space between the tranny and the diff to house a mechanical pump that pumps the tranny fluid forward to the radiator. Issue here is added heat load to the radiator.

Bill
Old 05-23-2006, 06:31 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Call DRM or LGM for a kit.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:27 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I also have the GM T1 tranmission kit. I run it with a manual switich not a t-stat. My oil cooler / accu-sump is also on a manual switch not a t-stat.

I like to turn them on myself so I know they are on, and not wait for the temps to get to a certain point. IMHO the few automaic or electronic switches the better.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:32 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the only tranny temp gauge I've seen on the market that give tranny temp without additional sensors (OBDII port) - http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.m...ory_Code=VTINT
Old 05-23-2006, 09:29 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys, one thing unique to the 97 is that ABS system is mounted right behind diff. making the C-6 application not possible. I'll talk to LG and also look at the T-1 kit. Does the T1 have a fan or does it route it thru the front of the radiator?
Old 05-23-2006, 10:11 AM
drbenne
Instructor

had similar issues with hot tranny within our 30 minute sessions. Had to use the T1 kit which has worked very well as I have not had a single recurrence of the dreaded DIC tranny temp warning. I also did not use the thermostat but rather a manual switch to start the pump.

I like LGs idea of a pump run off the diff, but not an option in T1 racing.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:45 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

before you do that, get a bottle of Pro Blends ATF additive and refill with synthetic ATF. You can go with Mobil One or any of the other high quality ATF's.

Pro Blends additive is like water-wetter for your trans. It was recommended to me by Tremec (they build the trans after all) back when I ran T1.

They market several ATF additives for different markets (street tuners, drag racers, etc), but they are all basically the same thing. I run one bottle per trans, but I run coolers. You may only need 1/2-2/3 bottle with a stock setup. Check bottle for directions.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:00 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 97coupechuck
On a track day I found out my 6spd is running way hot. (compared it with friends 04 Z-06) Running Amsoil tranny lube. Thinking of putting on manual tranny cooler. Any advice out there? Also, how can I install temp gage for same?
I changed out my tranny fluid to Redline D4 ATF at 800 miles on the clock (since switched to AMSOIL ATF) and ranmy first DE in the car shortly thereafter and also got a high temp tranny warning. Difference between you and your friend is probably driving style and speed. If you run higher rpm (e.g. you are faster or use a lower gear), your tranny temp will be higher. I found I could control mine somewhat using a higher gear... but what fun is that?

I had a T1 cooler put on mine by Phoenix when they prepped it for SCCA T1. Responding to a question above, the GM T1 kit routes lines to a cooler in the nose and has no fan.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 05-24-2006, 10:10 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 97coupechuck
Thanks guys, one thing unique to the 97 is that ABS system is mounted right behind diff. making the C-6 application not possible. I'll talk to LG and also look at the T-1 kit. Does the T1 have a fan or does it route it thru the front of the radiator?
The Phoenix guys run the cooler and lines to the front of the radiator, but I put mine in the RR (where the muffler used to be). That reduces the amount of hoses, fluid, weight, etc and puts the weight where you need it. It cools well enough to avoid any temp warnings.

Get notified of new replies

To 6spd tranny HOT

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6spd tranny HOT