Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire help - no more run-flats

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:49 AM
RebelVette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire help - no more run-flats

OK, I ran my 2nd day at the track (HPDE) on the OEM run-flats (C5 coupe) and it's time to make a change. I've got another set of OEM wheels (17x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear). I've read just about every thread on tires and got a lot of good information and here's my situation. The new tires will be used mostly for HPDE and some auto-cross (about 50/50 each). They will need to be driven to and from the event, about 50 miles each way. They need some wet traction but mostly dry, and when I run an HPDE I get about 6-7 15minute sessions, so they need to hold up fairly well as the day and heat progresses.

Here are my 2 questions:

1) Tire selection - I've narrowed it down to 3 tires that I think fit my needs above and fit within my price range. They are the Kumho Ecsta MX, Firestone Wide Ovals, and BFG KDW-2 (or NT, the 2nd gen. tread). A set of any of the above will run me between $700-800 shipped and mounted. Which one is the best for my application(s) above?

2) Size - just want to make sure I understand max sizes with the OEM wheels. 265/40/17 front and 295/35/18 rear.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:24 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the MX's and use them on the street. They are not quite as good as the F1 in terms of grip (about 90% though), but are much cheaper and last WAY longer. I can't speak to the others.

Quick Reply: Tire help - no more run-flats