Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE at Watkins Glen

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:30 PM
H82GOSLW
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Default HPDE at Watkins Glen

Spent this past monday and tuesday at Watkins Glen in the Chin Motorsports HPDE event. You cannot beat Chin for total track time. Basically all afternoon both days were open track time. Great instructors and great bunch of guys and gals there. Rained all day monday, and even though speeds were much slower, I learned quite a bit about driving in wet conditions. Tuesday was dry all day and the speeds were much much faster. Had a blast!!! Here are a few pics:

C6 Z06 with less than 1K miles, banged up on the first run of the first day

Honda S2000 that sideswiped the Armco

Daytona Prototype...this car was unbelievable on the track

Porsche 911 that wiped out on turn 11 towards the end of day 2...can you say 'red mist'...

Old 05-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Damn...expensive day for some....
Old 05-20-2006, 06:15 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

The instruction must not have been that good !!!
What groups were banging up there cars like that, sheessssssssss.
Was there any formal sign off process???

Guess the active handling in the new Z didn't save that guy

Originally Posted by H82GOSLW
Spent this past monday and tuesday at Watkins Glen in the Chin Motorsports HPDE event. You cannot beat Chin for total track time. Great instructors and great bunch of guys and gals there. Rained all day monday, and even though speeds were much slower,
Old 05-20-2006, 04:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Maineiac

Old 05-22-2006, 08:46 AM
JiminFL
Racer

The driver of the C6Z06 was my instructor, and has 100s of hours at the Glen as well as other tracks, but this was his first time in the new Z and of course first time with it in the wet.

After the entire day including some very good feel for what I was doing when I made small errors, he still had no clear idea of what he did wrong.

All he knows is he was almost completely tracked out of turn 9 (the off-camber), and thinks he must have just applied a little too much throttle a little too quickly. When the rear end started to come around he corrected once and it snapped back, turned to the right and dragged the nose sideways on the armco of the bridge just before 10.

Bummer, but the good news is that with the incidents shown and one or two others, no one was hurt. The guy with the Z was remarkably calm despite doing thousands of dollars worth of damage, so it appears he can afford to track it, fix it as needed, and not be too concerned. It didn't look like any carbon parts were in need of replacement, just plastic and maybe the front sub-frame.

ALL incidents were in the intermediate and advanced run groups, IIRC.

I'll post my pics and maybe a vid clip or two later today - I just got back to work.

Jim
Old 05-22-2006, 08:53 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt know Chin goes to Watkins Glen. I was at one of their events at Sebring. Very liberal attitudes. One of the best club for someone who want lots of freedom.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by the blur
Guess the active handling in the new Z didn't save that guy
an advance driver might have had it off
Old 05-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Maineiac

does that cost = the Ferrari and Lotus that we saw?
Old 05-22-2006, 08:59 AM
JiminFL
Racer

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
I didnt know Chin goes to Watkins Glen. I was at one of their events at Sebring. Very liberal attitudes. One of the best club for someone who want lots of freedom.
Late last season Chin bought out TracQuest, so now they range all up and down the eastern US - adding Mid-Ohio, VIR, WGI, and I think Lime Rock, possibly others. See www.chinmotorsports.com for a full schedule.

Jim
Old 05-22-2006, 09:53 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

H82GOSLW, Todd Serota (Tracquest) was still involved in this event at WGI wasn't he? I had received a notice from Chin to instruct but was in between cars so no could do.

If you look at the ARMCO on the drivers left as you exit turn nine you'll see many reminders why you have to be patient for that very late apex at turn nine. Looks like the Z06 had stock tires but at least had a trailer to get home with.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by z060ntrack
H82GOSLW, Todd Serota (Tracquest) was still involved in this event at WGI wasn't he? I had received a notice from Chin to instruct but was in between cars so no could do.

If you look at the ARMCO on the drivers left as you exit turn nine you'll see many reminders why you have to be patient for that very late apex at turn nine. Looks like the Z06 had stock tires but at least had a trailer to get home with.
I know several experienced drivers who have met the Armco coming out of that turn. It is not hard to have the backend come around as you exit the turn. In the wet it can be very tricky.

Bill
Old 05-22-2006, 01:25 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I know several experienced drivers who have met the Armco coming out of that turn. It is not hard to have the backend come around as you exit the turn. In the wet it can be very tricky.

Bill
I was up at the Glen last Labor Day weekend with FCA, and a relatively inexperienced guy in a 360 Challenge Stradale was in front of me coming up the sole of the boot, through 8 and into 9. He went in a little early and a little hot, rear end kicked out, he tried to correct instead of standing on the brakes, snapped the car back around, spun the car and went sideways into the Armco on the left side of turn 9. Being behind him, it looked like it was happening in slow motion, but it was over in a second. When he started to lose it, I went straight, as I was already braking before the turn-in, and just rode it out along the right side to avoid him. (Kept going of course so as not to be a target for someone else coming up the hill behind me.)

When I was at the Glen a few weeks ago, it was my first time there (first time anywhere) with the Z06. The first session, I kept the traction control and active handling both on. Second session, I went to competitive mode, and kept that on the rest of the two days. I wanted the safety factor while I'm still getting used to the feel of the car, the shifting with the 6-spd, etc. I'm used to driving low power, relatively low tech cars on the track and never worrying about breaking the rear loose with too much throttle. Once I feel comfortable in the car overall, I'll probably turn it all off and see how the car does. But 'til then, AH will stay on.

Last edited by FasterIsBetter; 05-22-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:42 PM
JiminFL
Racer

Originally Posted by z060ntrack
Todd was there both days, but not in any official capacity. I think he even took his Taurus rental out a time or two, and did some guest stints in a couple other cars as driver and passenger.

Jim
Old 05-22-2006, 08:34 PM
H82GOSLW
Drifting

Originally Posted by JiminFL
The driver of the C6Z06 was my instructor, and has 100s of hours at the Glen as well as other tracks, but this was his first time in the new Z and of course first time with it in the wet.

After the entire day including some very good feel for what I was doing when I made small errors, he still had no clear idea of what he did wrong.

All he knows is he was almost completely tracked out of turn 9 (the off-camber), and thinks he must have just applied a little too much throttle a little too quickly. When the rear end started to come around he corrected once and it snapped back, turned to the right and dragged the nose sideways on the armco of the bridge just before 10.

Bummer, but the good news is that with the incidents shown and one or two others, no one was hurt. The guy with the Z was remarkably calm despite doing thousands of dollars worth of damage, so it appears he can afford to track it, fix it as needed, and not be too concerned. It didn't look like any carbon parts were in need of replacement, just plastic and maybe the front sub-frame.

I'll post my pics and maybe a vid clip or two later today - I just got back to work.

Jim
The person driving that Z06 was one of my instructors last year. Fortunately, I was able to ride with others and get different feedback on my driving skills. I heard from a reliable source after he wracked up this Z06 that he did the same thing in his C5 Z06 when he first bought that car a couple years ago. My instructor this year for the whole two days was a former GT2 driver and he was phenominal. I highly recommend Chin and their format. Looking forward to going back to WGI.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:56 PM
JamMasterJ
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '06

With what car...seeing I see yours for sale in the local paper you bastard!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:24 AM
H82GOSLW
Drifting

Originally Posted by JamMasterJ
With what car...seeing I see yours for sale in the local paper you bastard!
Yes it's for sale. It's all part of the grand plan. Don't worry, I won't go carless for long.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:00 PM
JiminFL
Racer

I finally got around to getting some pics put up, and I'm still working on a video clip or two. Right now I've got two sessions integrated with my TraqView data using TrackVision, but a 400+ MB file with a complete 30 minute session is just too much to post. Remains to be seen if I can chop a lap or two out and still get the data to sync.

Enjoy these for now....

The before picture of my instructor's C6Z06

DP car

My car in the wet on Monday. Gotta love how nicely the painter's tape goes with the LMB.

Not sure of the camera was running or if he'll share if it was, but here's my pics of the turn 10 wreck on Tuesday. Notice how far the rear fender is pushed inboard past the rear tire. BIG hit.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE at Watkins Glen

Old 05-25-2006, 10:14 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JiminFL

Jim
During One Lap, the C6 Z06 that ran had serious issues in the rain as the Goodyears were worthless. He should have known the first time out on a raining street as the driver discovered during the wet skid pad.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:58 PM
H82GOSLW
Drifting

Hey JIMinFL, I distinctly remember seeing your car witn the blue tape. I was on the same side of the paddock as you, just farther down in the corner. I'm sure the tape did wonders for saving your paint. I brought a bra on the drive down, but ended up not using it. The guy in the blue jacket in the pic of your instructor was driving an RX-8 and he was unbelievably fast on the track. I had him on the straights (the easy part) but crushed me in going through the Boot. Good pics.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:59 PM
H82GOSLW
Drifting

Originally Posted by rudyarias
During One Lap, the C6 Z06 that ran had serious issues in the rain as the Goodyears were worthless. He should have known the first time out on a raining street as the driver discovered during the wet skid pad.

Hey Rudy, it's Dale. Hope you're doing good. How was the One Lap? Had a great time at Watkins and I"m making plans for Lime Rock this summer. You planning any road courses before or after your busy time of year?

Quick Reply: HPDE at Watkins Glen