Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

body damage advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 11:01 AM
drbenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default body damage advice

Well it finally happened. SCCA race at Buttonwillow and I am in the lead by a lot. Passing a verrry slow car on the inside of a sweeper and he squeezes me into the inside curb, we touch and this blows out my left rear tire and I am off at about 95mph. Fortunately didn't hit anything but the off road excursion ripped off the bottom of my driver's side fender and I have some minor damage to the body just behind my door. Also wanted to say the fire extinguisher came in handy as I had to put out the grass fire I started.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fill/paint some damage to a body panel? Also I was going to buy a new fender and have it painted. Any advice on where to buy and have painted a fender. I can put it all together myself.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:22 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn Roy, I thought that was one of the 7's that went off and started that thing!

Most work can be fixed with a little bit of bondo and/or fiberglass . . . depends on how bad it is. Fenders aren't too tough to swap, so you should be in good shape there. Heck, worst case scenario call Ryan or me . . . I think we've both pulled just about every panel off the car.

As for source, best options would probably be to replace with aftermarket either from J&D in Bellflower (normally ~ a week order) or ACP (normally ~ 2-3 week order). The J&D pieces are a little heavier, albeit by a couple pounds. I've got a couple used OE fenders in my garage if you're in a time crunch (as in, need to get everything done by Nats in June). Painting should be a slam dunk, since the panel is small and any bumper-repainting shop (or similar) can shoot the paint for you.

Lemmie know if there's anything I can do to help out
Old 05-19-2006, 01:05 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a rear fender crack a few years back and was amazed it was only 250 +-. ACP may have some, he has my hood for 3 years or someone else has it now Junk yards have them to I guess usually for 50% of new or 125-150 bucks.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:18 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Fenders are cheap. Might be less expesive to go get a new one from a chevy dealer then repair the one you have.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:24 AM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Roy,

we have spare fenders.. all four.. i also have a front end and hood.

let me know,
ryan
Old 05-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Fenders are cheap. Might be less expesive to go get a new one from a chevy dealer then repair the one you have.
absolutely...you will pay more to have it painted than what it costs. Plastic is cheap and it just screws on.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:36 AM
drbenne
Instructor

thanks for the advice everyone. I got the front fender off this weekend. The last attachment points up front were a real *** to get off as I did not take off the front fascia. I am going to look for a used fender, get it painted and put it on.

Ryan
If your drivers side fender is in good shape, I would be interested in buying it.

Roy
Old 05-22-2006, 12:07 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Roy -- It's in decent shape. I'll grab a couple photos and send them to you . . . . my garage doubles as Ryan's spare-body-parts-storage.

Get notified of new replies

To body damage advice

Quick Reply: body damage advice